Author Topic: Need some eBay advice.  (Read 2914 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Need some eBay advice.
« on: May 10, 2006, 08:18:32 PM »
Heya.

As some of you know, I'm an insane Nintendo collector.

Recently, I purchased, from eBay, a Super Game Boy 2.  This is something I've wanted for quite some time.  For those who don't know, the Super Game Boy 2 is an improved version of the original Super Game Boy attachment.  It has all the functionality of the original SGB (i.e.: playing original Game Boy games on your SNES/TV somewhat in color, etc) - but there are some major differences.  It comes in an "Ice Blue" (i.e.: see-thru) case, has a red LED light to tell you when it's on (whoopie), but most importantly, it has a Link Port to connect to other Game Boy Systems.

The Super Game Boy 2, supposedly, was only released in Japan.  While it is confirmed that there was absolutly no mass-market release of the item here in the US, I've heard that QVC (the home shopping channel) sold a small amount of US Compatible units... but I've never actually seen one nor have I seen one for sale.

Until last week on eBay.  Someone had the Super Game Boy 2 listed, said it was Hard to Find/Rare and that it played on a US system.  Even though there are so many other things I need to spend money on (and save for the Wii and all it stuff), I bit because I wanted one.  There's been quite a few times I've almost got a Japanese one just because I see them on occasion and the only thing that's stopped me is that I don't want to have to track down a Japanese-to-US adapter.

Well, I get the unit in the mail today and, what do ya know, it's the Japanese version.  Now the seller has been really nice all along, and while I haven't right-out asked for a refund, I don't think that'd be an issue.  The seller apologized and said that his SNES was "modded" some time ago for other Japanese games and that he'd forgotten about it until I just now mentioned it.

He pointed me to a GameFAQs page that had the "modification" instructions - which, if you don't know, is merely cutting some of the plastic out of your SNES.  However, doing such a modification to my precious SNES is absolutely *out* of the question.

So, I'm stuck and need some advice.
Should I just return it and get the money back?  Even a Japanese SGB2 is kinda hard to find and I only paid about $25 for it, so it's not a bad price.  Should I try to find an adapter?  Any clues on what they usually run for?  Should I just curl up into a ball and cry?

I'm so disapointed that this isn't the US version... I thought I was going to finally have it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Need some eBay advice.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:26:49 PM »
Put your money to better use, like sponsoring my Wii fund
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 01:01:45 AM »
The fact that you're considering not keeping it puts into question your "insane Nintendo collector" title...

I have no idea about how best to put the thing to use with your snes. Why not just buy a Japanese Snes? Gameboy games are region free, right?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 03:13:45 AM »
Why don't you just buy another SNES?  You can get them for $20 - $40 on eBay.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:09:18 AM »
Game Boy games are, for all intents and purposes, region free.  The only thing stopping me from being able to play with this Super Game Boy 2 is that it physically will not fit into the US SNES.  Buying a second (Actaully, it'd be a third - as I have a locking SNES and a mini) SNES (or a Japanese Super Famicom) is not something I think I could talk my wife into.  Keep in mind, I'm going to have to be spending $300-$400 on a brand new Nintendo system by the end of the year.

Now, what might work for me is that someone said I could use an SNES Game Genie... and those are pretty cheap...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Need some eBay advice.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 06:24:42 AM »
Yeah, I was gonna say, stack it on top of a Game Genie. And an XBAND too. Make your SNES into the tower of doom. Or just clip the plastic tabs, wuss.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 06:34:31 AM »
That would be like cutting off my puppy's legs!