Author Topic: What an odd e-Reader find...  (Read 2422 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
What an odd e-Reader find...
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »
So, I was in some junky store called Fred's.  I was looking at their trading cards (still need some Mario Kart Wii cards) when I found this gem.

Several odd things about this.

First, the other 2 for 1 packs like this were things like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon, some animated movie themed cards, etc.  This was the only one of these I found.

Second, these cards (as far as I know) were never sold as just packages. The Foil Packs were always on cardboard-blister packs.

Third, this 2 for 1 pack actually contained three packs.  Oddly, there were two packs of Baseball, one pack of Tennis.  I'm sure I saved some poor little kid some tears.

Finally, Baseball was released in NES series 1 packs.  Tennis was series 2.  I even had EasyCure double check for me (turns out, there's this awesome card list for the e-Reader on GameFAQs.).

Best $1 I ever spent. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: What an odd e-Reader find...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
I'm sure this was just repackaged surplus stock.  Dollar stores have been doing this forever.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »
I'm sure this was just repackaged surplus stock.  Dollar stores have been doing this forever.

Oh, I'm sure.  It's just an odd find.  The supplier (Legends) does this kind of thing everywhere - but they typically repackage stock they have left over previous shipments and such.  Since Nintendo was the only supplier for e-Reader cards (well, except for the Pokémon cards), it seems odd they would have these.  Not impossible - just odd.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »
If you found Mario 3 level pack 3/4 somehow I would need to kill you. Damn that Nintendo for not releasing all the levels that were released in Japan.

I heard its like around 30 levels total that never released in America. My copy of Mario 3 has all the cards that are currently available in the US (including the walmart one)

I still have my e-reader laying around . I can use it via the GBA slot on my DS Lite but I cannot add things in mario 3 anymore. Whatever i already added the coin fire and capes in the game so I'm happy

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »
I would kill me if I found those (or the Game and Watch cards).

Keep in mind, I have a full collection of English e-Reader cards (short of the 2 Kirby Winner cards from E3, but those are impossible to get and I think only one is known to exist and it's a second place winner - I have one of the loser cards though).  A find like that would make me giddy.

Back on the SMA4 cards - you can download save files for your SMA4 cartridge (to load via Action Replay) that have the various levels loaded/unlocked.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
I would kill me if I found those (or the Game and Watch cards).

Keep in mind, I have a full collection of English e-Reader cards (short of the 2 Kirby Winner cards from E3, but those are impossible to get and I think only one is known to exist and it's a second place winner - I have one of the loser cards though).  A find like that would make me giddy.

Back on the SMA4 cards - you can download save files for your SMA4 cartridge (to load via Action Replay) that have the various levels loaded/unlocked.

hmmm would it damage the game at all?