Author Topic: Factor 5: Only 4 Sony  (Read 8540 times)

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Factor 5: Only 4 Sony - New game revealed!!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 07:17:53 AM »
Not so negative, KDR_11k!

"Gamebasher: There's a huge difference between a tech demo that's supposed to sell the hardware and a game demo that's supposed to push the game. The game demo won't use a seperate set of assets for the demo, they'll throw pretty much ingame stuff on there but have it act out a scripted scene instead of showing some chaotic footage of someone playing it with a beta HUD and stuff. Because you're not going to understand WTF is happening unless you know the game and the alpha HUDs are often not more than some raw text printed on the screen, sometimes even with debug output."

Hey, I did NOT emphasize anything about the differences between any demo´s, and I do know what is the difference between the two types of demo´s - any person with a functioning brain knows that difference as the former is a pre-test and demo of hardware capability and the latter is a demo of a game under developement. What I was refe´rring to was Miyamoto´s comments about hardware SPECS touted by the competition as showing the wonderous capability of their consoles, but forgetting (and as Miyamoto has pointed out several times) to subtract all the polygons required to process the additional effects that come on as the game is being developed.

"Oh and did you eat mushrooms again? That "They will rock us and dominate everything" speech sounds like you tried to be Super Gamebasher again."

Are you a Nintendo believer, my friend? Because if you are, and if you´ve kept your finger on the news-pulse, you will know that we´re in for something fantastic coming from Nintendo. That is, if you believe in them! Also, the console race has taken a turn where it is nolonger easy for everyone to throw in money all the time and risk losing a lot. It is definitely coming to a conclusion very soon, which will show who are the clear winners. Being Nintendo, they are the one company who has the biggest chance at winning, because they are the only ones who can make games of very very high caliber (Zelda:TP will sell around 20 million worldwide: my guess), which the others cannot make to any similar degree. So - no! I am not on mushrooms, KDR_11k!!! I just see them as one of the winners, because they have the ability to win and the others only know how to fill developers pockets with money and thus buy their way in! That is hoolow and soulless, and can be felt in the games they make.

Trust me on this, Nintendo will be one of the big winners! In fact, they may be the only company left standing, for the reason of being the only company making a profit on everything they sell!

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 08:52:30 AM »
Gamebasher, although I like to remain somewhat pessimistic at all times to prepare me for the futures letdowns, I enjoy hearing some truely optomistic and passionate opinions.  You should take some of that spirit over to the Rev. forum (under "More Revolution details soon?") and get ppl pumped up for what I believe is going to be an awsome press release from Nintendo.  It seems we are all losing faith in Ninty and curb our enthusiasm to prepare for letdown.

As for the Factor 5 news...I don't care a whole lot.  I own their first game for cube but haven't played it again in years.  I agree their team can do some great stuff with graphics and make some pretty well put together games but nothing that's ever really blew my mind or anything.  What's more impressive from them is their work on software used in games.  I believe they made this sound engine/format called musyX or something and helped develope Dolby Pro Logic II.  Their potential for adding to the PS3 community with tools is probably the biggest loss for Nintendo.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Factor 5: Only 4 Sony - New game revealed!!
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 10:56:50 AM »
Hey, I did NOT emphasize anything about the differences between any demo´s

It certainly sounded like it. I mentioned the machinima previews of games and you cited Miyamoto on hardware tech demos. I was assuming you were citing him in reference to the demos I mentioned.

Are you a Nintendo believer, my friend?

No. I'm not an UFO believer, conspiracy theorist or politician either. Nintendo hasn't proven itself worthy of that level of trust, I certainly don't think they're capable of beating either of their opponents. The opponents could beat themselves through stupid moves but Nintendo won't kill them. Your speeches suggest a level of trust that I find almost frightening, sounding almost like you're stoned or brainwashed. Not a single bit of critical thought in there.

because they are the only ones who can make games of very very high caliber

No. There are a lot of legendary games not designed by Nintendo and there are a lot of great game designers that aren't on Nintendo's payroll (Sid Meier and Will Wright, for example). You're just being ignorant towards other companies. Stop walking the company line and open your mind!

Zelda:TP will sell around 20 million worldwide: my guess

Did you work for Atari? Because they guessed that Pac-Man would sell 15 million copies despite there being only 10 million console owners. 2 million sounds more like reality.

they have the ability to win and the others only know how to fill developers pockets with money and thus buy their way in! That is hoolow and soulless, and can be felt in the games they make.

And? Those developers don't work for free and Nintendo had to feel it. If you can be happy when there's only Nintendo left, good for you, I for one certainly want more than just what Nintendo makes. As for Nintendo vs. the rest of the industry (which this'll turn into if Nintendo's plan doesn't bring money into the pockets of their licensees), I'll take advise from the book of Murphy here: "When it's you against the world, bet on the world".
Can you elaborate on WHY the other games feel hollow? I certainly don't see it.

Trust me on this, Nintendo will be one of the big winners! In fact, they may be the only company left standing, for the reason of being the only company making a profit on everything they sell!

I could trust you. I could trust that guy down the street with his "the end is nigh" sign. You can't back your claims up any better than he can.
As for making a profit, 1. That'll change for MS next gen and 2. SCE does make a profit, just not on every single thing they sell. You don't need to profit from every single sale if it increases the total profit you make from all sales. There are business tactics that go beyond "buy low, sell high" and Nintendo's mostly failing to grasp them.

Their potential for adding to the PS3 community with tools is probably the biggest loss for Nintendo.

They claim hey're working on tools for XNA, too. Their game development might be exclusive but their tool development isn't. If they can think of something useful to put on the Rev, they will do it.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 12:06:33 PM »

Zelda:TP will sell around 20 million worldwide: my guess
Wow.  Yesterday at the Leipzip convension Nintendo said there have been 18.76 million GameCube's sold.  (Linky).  While it's a pretty safe bet that there will be 20 million units sold by the time TP comes out, it's highly unlikely (read:  impossible) that every single GameCube owner will purchase the game.  The best selling GameCube game (Smash Bros Melee) has sold under 5 million copies.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 04:13:48 PM »
I read somewhere that the Wind Waker sold 4 millions globally, if its true I obviously expect TP to beat tWW in sales.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 06:29:38 AM »
It is important to be optimistic about the future, in particular Nintendo´s! What let-downs should there be, when we all know they´re coming up with something fabulous? Cheer up, they´ll make it!!!!!!!

And KDR_11k, you and I are probably situated two very different places in the world of opinion as regards Nintendo and the future of same. But a good point on other companies, making games. You are right that there is many others out there who can make great games. I did not mean to be arrogant, it´s just that I cannot SEE those companies out of all the gamecompanies putting games on the shelf these days. Only Nintendo can make me FEEL that good!
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2005, 09:41:12 AM »
well  hopefully when tp comes o ut  the price of gamecube will be  really low...then possibly  they can have a top selling  game..although by  then  everybody  is going to have a 360
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 11:10:50 PM »
Since the 360 won't play TP, it'll be expensive and have a slim lineup at that time I don't think it'll eat into TP's sales.

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2005, 05:02:31 AM »
Their game line up is nothing to be excited about.

I was thinking of buying it, when I saw it announced, but now I just decided to drop it. I just don´t want to pay that much for something which is simply just more of the same you find on the current x-box, only with better graphics. I will wait for Nintendo Revolution!

Besides, KDR11_k, perhaps you now understand my enthusiasm for Nintendo a little better, after seeing the news on Peter Molyneux and his opinion of Nintendo´s new controller? I really think I am right, in being so enthusiastic about them, you know! That news story makes me feel confident that I am!!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2005, 10:31:05 AM »
Peter Molyneaux also thought Black&White was a good idea.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2005, 12:58:17 PM »
B&W was an excellent idea.  It was the execution that was lacking.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2005, 01:52:15 PM »
Peter Molyneaux... Isn't he the guy that made 'Fable'?
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2005, 05:43:54 AM »
Yes!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2005, 09:43:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot
Peter Molyneaux... Isn't he the guy that made 'Fable'?
Another excellent idea with a poor execution.  Notice a trend?