Author Topic: backwards compatiblity slots needed?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
backwards compatiblity slots needed?
« on: May 24, 2005, 04:22:09 PM »
If Nintendo is able to emulate the other past console's games, why does it need seperate ports for the Revolution? The memory cards are understandable, but the controllers are less. Except for the Digital click and anolog triggers, there isn't much else that should be hard. Few games even used the feature.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
RE: backwards compatiblity slots needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 04:30:55 PM »
I don't know if it can emulate ALL games though....especially GameCube's.

Could it emulate Donkey Konga? Could it emulate 4 swords or Crystal Chronicles? Who knows?

Also, it's nice to play multi-player on your REV even though you don't have 4 REV controllers.  
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »
"Bongo Drums"

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 04:34:38 PM »
I wonder about that too. Ports make the devices bigger, thats why ms could save a lot of space by going wireless with their x360. I presume the GC controller ports are for full backwards compatibility, including the bongos, the GBA/GC connectivity and the future dance pad for DDR Mario, but I can bet that without those ports the unit could easily be even smaller.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 04:51:52 PM »
They mentioned the REV was going through a final change, maybe that's it?

They could make the ports an accesory.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 05:08:22 PM »
How much smaller does it need to be?

Is "3 DVD cases" really too big for you guys?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:backwards compatiblity slots needed?
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 05:09:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Don'tHate742
They mentioned the REV was going through a final change, maybe that's it?

They could make the ports an accesory.

My idea was that they put the gamecube controller ports & mem card slot on a wireless multi-tap that communicates with the Rev. This way they could pack it in(launch period accessory) or sell it seperately as an accessory. This way they could make the Rev even smaller, like they said, or use the extra space for a hdd or something else that they have in mind.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »
I think its cost, not space, that's keeping a hdd out. They could always offer support for a USB 2.0 external hard drive if the download service really takes off.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 05:38:06 PM »
Personally, I'm hoping for Revolution Compatible NES/SNES/N64 style contollers (something like the Hori Digital Controller for the GCN) for playing all the older games...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 07:40:49 PM »
Adding the Cube controller slots is incredibly user friendly.  Nintendo is infamous for doing things their own way regardless of what people actually want.  Here's a rare example of Nintendo being flexible and you guys are complaining about it?  Having the Cube ports rules.  It allows 100% Cube backwards compatibility.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 08:23:38 PM »
I'm just saying is it entirerly needed? And if so, does this hint towards anything different about the controllers?

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 08:25:27 PM »
Besides the fact that they can't function as Bongo Drums and/or connected GBAs with e-Card Readers

Offline HereticPB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 09:56:38 PM »
For one its that backwards compatiblity thing with Donkey Konga etc. GC games are not emulated it runs GC games. The only emulation to be used is for NES to N64. A Nintendo emulator I believe Nintendo patented their own emulator awhile back.

However, the images of the Revolution that you have seen are prototype boxes.
Visit my sites
| Nintendo Centrum | NC Forums |

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 06:29:40 AM »
Removing those wouldn't make the device smaller, either. The disc drive dictates the width and the internals the height. Any smaller and the drive or the other components wouldn't fit or there'd be no room for ventilation.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 07:56:43 AM »
The slots are a great idea for several reasons.

1. People have GC controllers already.  Having the ports kills the "OMFG I HAVE TO GET NEW CONTROLLERS WHEN I JUST BOUGHT A GC" whine-talk that people love to bitch and moan about.  Nintendo wants to keep adding various peripherals (or so they've said) and then use them to make new gameplay experiences.  The bongos and GBA connectivity are examples.  I personally own like 6 wired ones (from a Toys R Us sale, paid less than 3 bucks a controller), a wavebird, and a Hori Digital Controller.  If I ever run across a wavebird sale, I'll pick those up.  It's nice that Nintendo is letting me continue to use them.

2. Sometimes wireless controllers fail.  Corded options are always, always a plus because if, in rare instances, something fails, you have a backup option.

3. Ensures full backwards compatability with specialized games.  I can't imagine how many people are going to bitch about how the PS3 can't play Steel Battallion (xbox game? I can't remember).  Anyway, that would be one of the only times I'd think whining would be pretty feasible and understandable.

4. I dout it adds much bulk to the system.

5. I think the idea of a wireless multitap is nice, but that would be another accessory, people would lose it, etc.  Better to have it on the system itself than give people the chance to lose it and then complain about "HOW COME IT WASN'T IN THE SYSTEM" over and over.  People, as a rule, are stupid.  Better to eliminate chances for any kind of conflict from the get go.  (Aside: Does anyone else work tech support or in a call center?  Imagine the bullshit people get and multiply it by about ten million.  OMFG NINTENDO, WHY CAN'T I USE A NINTENDO CONTROLLER ON IT TO PLAY THE NINTENDO GAMES?  I assure you many, many people will call in with that exact question, not realizing that the Rev's controller is capable of playing the older games.  You laugh and think it's idiotic and there's no way someone could be that stupid, but my friends, you sorely overestimate the human population.  For example, in my work, someone asked me if a game that required 1 gig of ram could run on 512.  Another asked me how to resize a window.  Another asked me which side the CDs go into the drive.  And another asked me how to recharge an external battery, and subsequently got mad when I told him it would need to be inside the laptop and plugged into the wall.  Yes, my friends, people are morons across the board, and it's always better to have intentions of treating them like they have a double digit IQ.)

I don't see a problem with having the ports.  Hell, maybe they could make adapters to let you plug in SNES/NES/N64 controllers, although I think that's huge overkill.  

Also, I'm a little curious about the wireless Rev controllers.  I have to rule out RF, IR, and Bluetooth, since the machine doesn't appear to have those technologies (though, of course, no one is sure).  But I doubt it would be wireless in terms of like an 802.11x protocol - there's going to be enough interference with a DS attaching to a wireless network, let alone the Rev.  I'd speculate that bluetooth *might* be the final choice since it's such hot technology, and would leave the door open for future devices (and Japan, being a huge cell phone market, would eat up that functionality if Nintendo let people have that sort of access).  But if the DS can connect to the Rev, it would HAVE to be 802.11x protocol, and probably a b network.  Maybe b and g.  I dunno.  We'll find out soon enough I hope.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 09:40:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Strell
I don't see a problem with having the ports.  Hell, maybe they could make adapters to let you plug in SNES/NES/N64 controllers, although I think that's huge overkill.  

I reckon that's a fantastic idea. I've got like boxes and drawers full of controls and I'd love to actually use the right controller for the right system.  The feeling just isn't there if you use the wrong controller.

(okay maybe a little bit of overkill )
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 09:58:05 PM »
Seeing as how you'll be using a much more comfortable controller that's more approriate (except N64), then I think you won't mind.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »
lol i already know i can use a dual shock controller on my future revolution ..i have an adapter..though i never use it..since it barely works.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 12:46:43 AM »
Why would anyone choose a dualshock anyway?

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 06:21:25 AM »
So i can use my 150 dollar dance pad i already have . . . . ^^

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 06:53:08 AM »
hahaha
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 07:00:22 AM »
BlackNMild:

I love your idea of having a wireless multitap for the Cube controllers, but I don't know if it is neccessary for the memory cards.  What I like about the idea is it gives you more functionality.  You can keep your system whereever you want, but it multitap can be pulled out so everyone plays on the couch or something.  

I wonder if that is even feasable though.