Author Topic: Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed  (Read 37284 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2006, 09:44:24 AM »
I didn't feel any rumble and it was quite light, so I'm betting on no.  We didn't hear either way though I don't think.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »
Great, so the shell fails at Rumble Pak.

Forget about playing N64 games.
It's not shaped properly nor does it have a button layout suitable to maximize the old skool 3D Zelda64 experience.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2006, 10:05:15 AM »
Just pop in your Zelda collector's edition into your Wii and play with your GC controller
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2006, 04:00:24 PM »
The last thing Nintendo needs to do with their "classic" controller is take away the fourth shoulder button.  The worst thing about the Cube controller (other than the nipple cstick, fisher price coloring, the round B button, and useless dpad) was the lack of a fourth shoulder button.  It feels like Nintendo is trying to say we got enough buttons (competely out of reach) on the remote teathered to the pad (I am going to assume they plan to make it so the remote is inserted into the pad for right now because a billion dollar company bragging about how smart they are at making controllers should be able to see how ridiculous it is to tell users let the remote hang from the pad's cord between your legs).  

I guess I'm going to delete the picture I posted from my photobucket.  So now, I think the pad sucks worse and could never properly play a ported game from Xbox1 let alone a 360 game.

And I think they need to include  the "classic" styled controller, that throwback, with the system for free (because it isn't worth five bucks and if I download something old, I want to be able to play it out of the box).  

Nintendo's plan for this pad seems to have been to outdo Sony's bananarang as the fuglies and least functional pad.

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2006, 06:17:30 PM »
nemo is the new Ian.

Stop diverging from our groupthink!
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2006, 06:25:23 PM »
Is the universe trying to get in balance again after Ian started to get more positive about Nintendo.

But honestly, this controller isnt what we would've expect, maybe is not totally unplayable but it has its issues. Also the collectors edition used the C-stick for buttons and that wasnt all that great from what Ive read.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2006, 06:37:34 PM »
Hahaha, I can't even take nemo's post seriously it's so unbelievably bitchy...

My two cents:  I'm not very happy with the Dual Shock joysticks, but I guess there really wasn't any other choice considering that the D-pad should most definitely be the high priority input considering the NES and SNES...I like the overall style and design, though, because it looks like a very slick SNES pad, and I'm hoping it feels like it too...There really aren't many N64s games I really need to get (except a certain shooter by Treasure that never made it over here) so the joysticks aren't that big of a deal for me...Either way, I'll be getting this for sure...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2006, 11:36:31 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
The last thing Nintendo needs to do with their "classic" controller is take away the fourth shoulder button.  The worst thing about the Cube controller (other than the nipple cstick, fisher price coloring, the round B button, and useless dpad) was the lack of a fourth shoulder button.

One of us... one of us... one of us...

(I am going to assume they plan to make it so the remote is inserted into the pad for right now because a billion dollar company bragging about how smart they are at making controllers should be able to see how ridiculous it is to tell users let the remote hang from the pad's cord between your legs).

8====D

Wee.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2006, 12:58:27 AM »

Originally posted by: OverHeat

I have alot of non-Nintendo fan friends and the general consenscious(sp?) that I contantly get is that the N64 has a "crappy" controller. Now dont shoot the messanger here, I liked the old N64 controllers alot.

The N64 controller is my all time favorite. All they need for the VC games is the N64 controller with slightly larger C buttons to double as the six face button layout. The only problem with this is, it wouldn't be the best thing for ports. It's a tough call, but I'd go in favor of focusing the controller on the VC, rather making it work for ports. But I guess my opinion is pretty biased, since the N64 is my all time favorite console.... I just want these games to play well on the controller.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2006, 01:11:16 AM »
I'm so sad... The N64 controller was my favorite too! You could hold it like a gun because the weight was perfectly balanced around the center prong... Why do people hate my favorite controller? /cry

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2006, 07:10:45 AM »
I thought the quality of the N64 controller felt pretty cheap, nothing as superb as the SNES controller. It was too light for how big it was and using the D-pad was a pain. However, it is my favorite also because of well it played for all games. It was perfect for my favorite games that gen (GoldenEye, Diddykong racing, MarioKart, and Starfox).

I wouldn't use the N64 controller for the classic controller though. What they came up with is fine, they just need to fix the Z buttons and make them triggers.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2006, 05:34:24 PM »
This new controller looks beautiful and comfortable to hold (IMO, based on videos of someone playing the Virtual Console).

I remember getting some kind of chalky crud in my N64 controller's analog stick base.  Didn't much like that... >.>

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2006, 07:49:34 PM »
If Nintendo allows me to use the usb ports for third party pads I will be happy, but it still means Nintendo's official pad has three fewer buttons than 360's.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2006, 08:39:31 PM »

If Nintendo allows me to use the usb ports for third party pads I will be happy, but it still means Nintendo's official pad has three fewer buttons than 360's.

I'm not sure Nintendo would even need to specifically allow third party pads to use the usb slots for that to happen, would they?

As for the Wii controller having 3 less buttons than the 360...I don't really think that'll matter that much....
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Blue Plant
This new controller looks beautiful and comfortable to hold (IMO, based on videos of someone playing the Virtual Console).

I remember getting some kind of chalky crud in my N64 controller's analog stick base.  Didn't much like that... >.>

thank god im not the only one, what was up with that?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »
That was the shaft of the stick wearing away.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2006, 04:44:26 PM »
i cant enjoy my n64 games as much as i used too because all my controllers have their anologe sticks worn out badly. games like goldeneye where  you need precision are unplayable anymore. its so sad
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2006, 09:08:30 PM »
I think we all had the white thing in the analogs, and also have the analogs all loose (Mario Party is guilty). I hope some third party comes up with a more apropiate atachment for the N64 games, because if it doesnt happen Ill probably skip N64 VC games, which would be a shame.

Oh crap I'd be missing Sin and Punishment too

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2006, 10:38:40 PM »
goofy people keep ignoring me.  I'm telling you the analog feels fine despite how it looks in the photos; it's not nearly as bad as dual shock.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2006, 02:20:23 AM »
I just got a 360 controller to use for my PC, and I acutally find myself wishing that the control pad and analof stick were switched.  Huh.  I guess the dual shock is just really bad for a quite a few reasons, not just the stick placement.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2006, 05:13:18 AM »
Its not just the analog but the lack of buttons, more specifically, I dont see myself playing Zelda with that. So Ill rather spend my money on a new N64 pad (ive seen some around here) and an used cartridge than to spend it on this controller and the VC game. Ill miss the smooth framerates but Ill rather play a choppy game than a badly controlled one.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2006, 06:55:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
goofy people keep ignoring me.  I'm telling you the analog feels fine despite how it looks in the photos; it's not nearly as bad as dual shock.

This makes me happy!  

And in the end it all really narrows down to us trying the controller for ourselves, so deciding whether you will like a controller before you feel it is kind of silly...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2006, 12:46:40 PM »
Seriously, this thread is a bit silly.  Every single person who has touched it likes it a lot (excluding the N64 Z-Button issue) and everyone who has looked at a render says they hate it...

Hrmm.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2006, 12:52:55 PM »
Wrong! I've only seen the render and I like it! Admit defeat, Pale! Admit it!
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2006, 01:37:29 PM »
Forsooth!  I'm partial to the render as well, it seems Pale has been thoroughly vanquished at the hilt of my mighty dagger of truth.