Author Topic: Donkey Konga Bounces to Stores  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Donkey Konga Bounces to Stores
« on: September 28, 2004, 10:50:46 AM »
Drop that controller (like it's hot)!

Drop That Controller! Nintendo's New Game, Donkey Konga,Goes Bonkers for Bongos

Musical Competition of Donkey Konga Will Be the First to Use New Bongo Peripheral

REDMOND, Wash.--Sept. 28, 2004--For years, video games have been governed by simple rules of control: Press one button to do this, press another button to do that. Now, Nintendo shatters that model by introducing the most novel video game accessories ever: bongos. Yes, bongos!

Donkey Konga(TM), now available exclusively for Nintendo GameCube(TM), combines the new DK Bongos controller with well-known musical selections to foster a wild, clapping, tapping and laughing party atmosphere. Players compete by thumping their bongos to the beat of songs like "What I Like About You," "Whip It" and "All the Small Things." The better your rhythm, the better your score.

"If you like music and video games, you'll love this addictive new game, available just in time for the start of the holidays," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "Once you play Donkey Konga, we know you won't be able to keep your hands off the drums."

Each DK Bongos controller has a left and right drum. The on-screen musical action instructs players to tap one or both drums to the beat of the selected song or follow the beat with a clap, which is picked up by a built-in microphone. As each player has a different arrangement for each song, when players synch up to the music, it sounds great. When they don't, it's hilarious.

Even people who've never before played a video game can grasp Donkey Konga instantly and start having fun. The game's side-splitting nature is best revealed in musical bongo jam sessions between up to four friends, family members or co-workers.

Single-player modes offer their own musical tests of skill, challenging players to earn coins and unlock special sound effects, such as barnyard animal noises, dogs barking or effects from classic Nintendo video games.

Donkey Konga is available now at an MSRP of $49.99, which includes one DK Bongos controller. Additional DK Bongos controllers can be purchased separately at an MSRP of $29.99. The standard Nintendo GameCube controller also can be used with the game.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE: Donkey Konga Bounces to Stores
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 01:25:17 PM »
Just got it an hour ago and I say it's quite a nice game. I even had a friend to try multiplayer and it is even better. Just one notice, be prepared for a little workout on your hands.  

Offline 3rdrocket

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Donkey Konga Bounces to Stores
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 01:30:49 PM »
yeah mine have smoke coming off them
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 01:49:04 PM »
Wouldn't droppiing the controller risk breaking it?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 03:09:14 PM »
i have one MASSIVE complaint already.......

The fricken high scores don't have name entry.  THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!  Why do game makers do this, especially with rhythm games.  DDR is the same thing...all individual song records are just recorded with no sign of who accomplished the feat.

Argh
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Windrunner

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 04:58:14 PM »
My only complatint so far is that it doesn't have any rankings in multiplayer.  If there's 4 of us playing (tonight with 2 of my employees and my fiancee), we could never tell who did the best without doing math in our heads.  Boo to that.  Once in a while it would give a statue to someone, but usually not.

A small complaint, though... I think it's possibly the greatest party game ever made.
----
Windrunner
It's not that I hate people, I just like my computer more... and I hate people.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 08:31:22 AM »
I just got it yesterday, and I'm having a blast with it.
My only complaint is the song selection IS rather limited. I dig most of 'em, but there's a few on there that I literally have to mute the TV in order to play. Hopefully this game will be big enough that Nintendo will release an expansion next year (and hopefully they'll have sense enough NOT to charge a full $50 for it).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 08:35:19 AM »
Why must I wait till this weekend?... ;____;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~