Author Topic: Future Nintendo consoles...  (Read 2133 times)

Future Nintendo consoles...
« on: February 05, 2016, 12:15:54 AM »
Okay looking past whatever NX turns out to be, something that was said in the other thread got me to thinking. If Nintendo could bring back Entertainment System as part of the name for the main console, is there still a slim chance they could bring back the Game Boy name for the hand held version? Or what if they flip it, they call the handheld NeXtDS and the console New Game Boy?

If the rumors of NX being a shared platform but not a single device are correct, where does that leave Nintendo going into the following generation? Is there ever a scenario where they could realistically release a true, dedicated gaming Tablet that could surpass lesser known tablets like Kindle and the like and find a niche in the market or a scenario where they could realistically topple even Apple?

Apple tried to get into the video game market but they have no understanding of that market at all and continue to make major misteps every chance. But Nintendo does fully understand the gaming on the go crowd and they could bring the right apps, right games, and right features to their OS that does attract enough both casual gamers, dedicated gamers, and even the "typical" tablet users who do want some productivity apps but also like the multimedia stuff too. Talking about the space being too crowded isn't a fair argument for why it couldn't be done, if they did it right, considering they launched the NES into  the wake of the second most crowded video game market followed by the N64 coming at the tail end of the most crowded time in gaming history. There is always room for a newer, better, product to come along and wipe out the competition and start things over, if there was ever a time for Nintendo to do that it is now.

So what if they are contemplating going away from the living room only machine and seeking a gaming on the go but internet connected culture crowd that also happens to be very similar to that blue ocean they found on the Wii?
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Future Nintendo consoles...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:23:03 AM »
I think the platform model would make something like a tablet more viable, since it wouldn't require a completely new and separate lineup of games. If it works out the way they hope it will, it could become viable to release more specialized versions of hardware because of that freedom.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:41:39 AM »
To be honest, a Tablet is the only thing that I can see Nintendo doing that I would get actively excited for. A PS4 clone that plays Nintendo games, I have that it is Wii U the level of games Nintendo can pull off is probably already being achieved on Wii U I doubt they could ever get to PS4 levels, they can't even get to PS3 levels Wii U is barely launch 360 levels as is for the most part, design not graphics. They can't make games any more ambitious than what they have done. I wouldn't buy a Nintendo console for the third party games anyways I already own a PS4 so unless it does something really spectactular, not just NX but whatever else is in the pipelines, I won't be getting it for those games I will be getting it for the normal Nintendo stuff, and for me a tablet works best for that because it eliminates the need for two platforms, it can double as portable and home console no need for a hybrid. It wouldn't be as powerful as PS4 in every way but it could be better in some ways and if they do it right they could release a new one every two years and if it keeps b/C like iPads going forward and they can get long term or more permanent licensing for VC then it would be a great machine to own. But just another PS4 that plays Mario and stuff not into it.

My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:42:39 PM »
I don't think they will bring back the name Game Boy, because a couple of the reasons they dropped it are still true: The "Boy" part of it makes it sound like it's for kids, and also that it isn't for women at all. It isn't a good name for a device aimed at everyone.

As for the rest... I'm not really one to ponder the future, so I don't think I have anything more to say.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:49:58 PM »
Every game console name I could think of off the top of my head.

Pong
Super Pong
*pong clones*
Odyssey
Odyssey 2
Vectrex
Channel F
Colecovision
Intelivision
Master System
Nintendo Entertainment System
Turbo Grafix-16
Super NES
Genesis
Sega CD
32X
CD-i
3DO
Lynx
Jaguar
Playstation
Saturn
Dreamcast
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Super Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Advance
Virtual Boy
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo 3DS
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Playstation 4
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Amiga CD32
Neo Geo
Game Cube
Wii
Wii U
Neo Geo Pocket
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Game.com
N-Gage
Turbo CD
Ouya
Windows
Mac
Steam
Linux
Android
iOS

I am sure I am missing at least five or six on the conservative side.

Home video formats I could think of off the top of my head

8mm film
Super 8 (not to be confused with the name of a movie Google can't tell the damn difference)
16mm film
Betamax
ED Beta
VHS
LaserVision (latter changed to LaserDisc, but don't tell Google that)
CED (also known as SelectaVision but incorrect, still don't tell Google)
Video 2000 (PAL only)
CD Video (not the same thing as Video CD)
CD-i DV (not the same thing as Video CD but became Video CD a year latter)
VCD (Video CD or Compact Disc Digital Video; talk about confusing try finding this on Google, good luck)
Super VHS (not to be confused with S-Video although google can't tell the damn difference)
Video8 (8mm cassette tapes not to be confused with 8mm film but Google can't tell the damn difference, camcorder version is more popular though)
D-VHS (also known as D-Theater but not to be confused with Digital Theater and DTS although Google can't tell the damn difference)
DVD
DIVX
DivX (separate thing, but don't tell Google)
HD-DVD
Blu Ray
Ultra Violet
Netflix
Hulu
Amazon Prime
HBO Go
iTunes
3D Blu Ray

Very few names actually relate to the product they are selling, it falls on marketing, putting meaning into Game Boy is silly, I know plenty of grown ups, including females, who had or were drawn to those devices and didn't care about the name.

But I can see why they won't bring it back but think now would be a good time to if they did.