Author Topic: What is the most obscure, retro console you own?  (Read 14587 times)

What is the most obscure, retro console you own?
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
Or have ever owned?

I think I have two really obscure retro consoles most people either don't have, or never heard of.
The infamous CD-i which I got for well curiosity mostly because the lame emulator is not free and if I have to pay to play the games I am playing them on the real hardware, or something like VC where it's legal all the way around.

The other one is a Sears Super Pong Game that I have had for ages. Pong is a little before my time but we did have an Atari 2600 growimg up so I was exposed to all that weird stuff early on.

I used to have a Panasonic 3DO but that thing was really a nightmare to find good games on.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most obscure, retro console you own?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »
Had a virtual boy for the longest time.  First the stand snapped on me shortly after I first got it, but i'd still just lay on the ground with it over my eyes & play it that way.  It had been in storage for years, so I took it out recently, but after turning it on found only one side worked anymore, and I only saw that half of the screen.

Sad days, no more teleroboxer, Wario, Mario Clash, Mario Tennis, or Galactic Pinball.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »
Had a Microvision when we were kids. Loved that thing.
Also had Atari 2600 and Colecovision but those are not that obscure.
Does Merlin count?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »
I've been told that we had an Intellivision when I was very little, but it's long gone and I don't remembering having it. I'm not really interested in obscure systems so I don't think I own anything that would quality, I mostly have Nintendo stuff and not a Virtual Boy. I have a Game and Watch if that counts, but it isn't really a "system." In terms of being the least-popular, that would be... Wii U, I s'pose, though that isn't "retro" yet. So I guess it'd be a GameCube, if that's old enough to be retro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
This thread made me realize I've never owned anything that obscure. I'm actually pretty disappointed at that now that I think of it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »
ColecoVision...but I wouldn't count that as obscure. Really nothing listed  besides the Pong thing would be considered obscure.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
The local used game store once had a Vectrex but it was pretty expensive.  I hemmed and hawed about buying it but someone else did before I really made up mind.  A month or so later another Vectrex showed up only this one was broken.  So I wonder if the person who bought it accidently wrecked it and traded it back in (they had the first one's demo playing so clearly it worked to some extent) or it was broken to begin with and was returned.  Surely they must have been the same unit.  What are the odds that I've only seen two Vectrex's in my life and they both appeared at the same store within a month of each other?  That's my brush with an obscure console.

For anything I own the most obscure thing I have is the second version of the SNES.  My SNES from childhood is at my parents (my brothers and I own it together so it stays there) so I decided to buy one just for my place and the opportunity came up to get the second model and I figured that if there were going to be two Super Nintendos in my life I might as well have both models.  I regret getting it though as it's cartridge slot is not as snug as the original model.  So if you bump the thing the cartridge often loosens from the connector and the game freezes.  Switching a controller for example is not an option if the system is on.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 07:57:34 AM »
Wait, does an Amiga Commodore count?  Probably not, it was my parents' first computer, and probably the first thing in our home we played countless hours of games on.  Golden Axe, Bad Dudes, Marble Madness, Defender of the Crown, Lemmings, Turrican, International Karate+ all up in this bitch.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »
Almost bought a 3DO from a local seller, but he didn't get back to me at the start then sold to someone else (who I assume was offering more money).  Was briefly disappointed, then realized I have way more games than I have time to play anyway.

The most "obscure" thing I actually own right now is probably a Anniversary Edition GBA Micro.  Really not rare or obscure though.
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »
Well obscure to gamers, nothing would count really, I mean obscure to average Joe. I guess I did have a 32X once upon a time to see what it was like but it was a joke and I traded it in for a Game Cube game at a used game store, I paid five bucks for the thing traded it in for a $15 dollar game so I was happy once it was out of my life.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »
TurboGrafx-16

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
TurboGrafx-16

Jealous!  Always wanted one as a kid. 

The PC Engine design is amazing - it's a shame they took the "bigger must be better" approach when introducing to North America and delayed until it was hardly relevant.  That said, it was way outside of my family's budget so wouldn't have really mattered either way to me.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »
I used to have the Goldstar 3DO until it broke, and then my dad got a panasonic one because he couldn't bear to go without wing commander or Return Fire. my personal favorite was the 3DO port of Star Control 2, which... you can pretty much get on PC for free because it's abandonware.

I knew a poor bastard back in the day witha  Tiger Game.com

I've thougth about trying to do a Hyperscan collection for the lulz, but that thing is the biggest piece of white-hot trash one could own, and possibly the inspiration for Amiibo.

The flea market I like going to strangely had a PC-FX one time, and I had NO clue what it was, and by the time I educated myself and I had gotten enough of a money buffer to buy it, someone had snatched it up. THAT probably would have taken over for my most obscure console. Oh well.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 01:29:42 PM »
With the Internet existing, I don't think anything really counts as obscure, especially among enthusiasts like us. So when I hear the word "obscure," I just take it to mean the least popular thing that we can think of, which usually relates to its sales.

I never owned a Sega 32X but I did know a friend who had one, and the first time I played DooM was on it. Probably a good thing I didn't know how much better the PC version was, as at the time it seemed like such an amazing game.

When Sega was exiting the console business and the Dreamcast was discounted to like $30-50, I wanted to buy one, but couldn't find one. I guess people bought 'em up fast at that price, hee hee. That was the closest I've come to wanting an "obscure" system, or at least one that wasn't on the market for long. Probably a good thing I didn't get it, as I don't think most of its games appeal to me, and some of its games I could get on GameCube like Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, etc.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
true, but sometimes the internet gets things wrong. People claim they remember something when they only watched a youtuber rant about how "shitty" it was when in reality it was just different or bad marketing, or whatever.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »
I had a Dreamcast, but I think my most obscure one is this Nintendo system that only had like, three good 1st party games for it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 04:18:19 PM »
I had a Dreamcast, but I think my most obscure one is this Nintendo system that only had like, three good 1st party games for it.
The SNES?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
Nah, the SNES didn't have three good first party games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
The Amiga Commode doesn't count because it was the Commodore Amiga.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 01:26:44 AM »
I have a sega Nomad. Thas obscure. I bought an Ouya because I knew it would be inevitably obscure. I had an Atari Jaguar in the past, but it broke and it was returned to Tiger Direct for credit. We never used that credit.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »
Should have jumped on the deal when Amazon was buying back Ouyas for nearly full price late last year. It was a cool little device, but I got rid of mine and got the Google ADT-1 instead...and now added on the Shield Android TV.

Offline jvgsjeff

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • JVGS
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 04:16:45 AM »
My most obscure system is probably the Atari Lynx. I just got it out last month to play some Dracula: The Undead around Halloween. It's not a bad system.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 08:38:02 AM »
My most obscure system is probably the Atari Lynx. I just got it out last month to play some Dracula: The Undead around Halloween. It's not a bad system.

Todd's Adventures in Slime World was awesome... or at least it seemed that way based on the limited play time I got.  Batteries didn't last long in a Lynx.  :)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 05:16:41 PM »
Amazon was buying them back for full price? So it's even more rare? Sweet.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »
I kind of wish I had kept mine, but I stopped using it when I got the ADT-1, plus all of the ports in the back were so poorly soldered it felt like it was going to fall apart. At any rate, I don't know if people are buying them, but they're listed at $140-165 on Amazon now. Looks like they're fetching a lot on eBay too.