Poll

Which Super Nintendo game should we play and discuss for RetroActive #8?

Super Mario World
16 (21.1%)
ActRaiser
15 (19.7%)
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
10 (13.2%)
Donkey Kong Country 2
10 (13.2%)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
10 (13.2%)
Super Mario RPG
15 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: August 06, 2009, 01:32:30 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #8 Poll - SNES Edition  (Read 41095 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #8 Poll - SNES Edition
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2009, 11:53:48 PM »
Actraiser rocks, even if it doesn't win you should still play it. I played it for the first time a couple years ago and I was blown away by how unique and interesting it was, especially when you consider its age.

WHile I respect the view of people liking the game, it got a big meh from me when I played it. Though it was probably more do the extreme hype for the game then anything. The side scrolling parts weren't anything amazing, and the simcityish stuff was decent but felt archaic. It is definitely worth trying but I'm not sure I see what the huge deal is with it, hardly any of its parts are that amazing. The music is fantastic though, so I agree with Jonny on that.

At least I can say whatever game wins I don't see one that will be a major disappointment and can lead to some interesting discussion (Well except for maybe Ogre battle). Also I have previously bought all of these games, so that makes it easy for me regardless of what wins!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:56:27 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »
actraiser!!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2009, 01:06:46 AM »
Are we supposed to be able to see the poll results right now?  So far it looks like a photo finish between Mario World and Mario RPG with Actraiser pulling up a close 3rd.  Go Mario RPG!
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »
Actraiser archaic.. eheh thats funny..   There are many things that made that game what it was, from the different gameplay types to the epic music.  One of the joys was trying to maximize your villages potential, then some great fights with great decending music.  A god turned flesh to vanquish the evil in the land.  Good times.  Oh and it was put together just right, a formula that has been attempted at copying, but never has been done correctly.   

As for its archaic, keep in mind, these elements didn't exist back in the day, at least not in a single form.  Good times all around.  You dont have to like it, but I do for it charms and gameplay.  Of course there are some other classics that not many people played as well, like The 7th Saga and Brain Lord.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »
Anybody who hasn't voted yet, I urge you to vote for the best game in this poll: Super Mario World. It's one of the best games ever made, it's one that anybody can play, and it still holds up today (which I can't say for Super Mario RPG and it's dated looks). It's a game everyone would be able to play and we could get a lot of discussion about it. Hell, I bet there are a lot of people here who could discuss the game without even buying the VC version because they may have played it on the SNES or GBA.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
Are we supposed to be able to see the poll results right now?  So far it looks like a photo finish between Mario World and Mario RPG with Actraiser pulling up a close 3rd.  Go Mario RPG!

No. Our forum poll code is a mess -- if you adjust the end time, it resets the results viewing option because that TOTALLY makes sense! Anyway, fixed now. Hope you enjoyed the glimpse, but I think it's much better when people vote blindly.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
Hope you enjoyed the glimpse, but I think it's much better when people vote blindly.

Yet everyone else seems to disagree.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
Bah Goemon definitely isn't going to win. Go ActRaiser!
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
Hope you enjoyed the glimpse, but I think it's much better when people vote blindly.

Yet everyone else seems to disagree.  ;D

I prefer the blind vote.  People vote for games they want to win, not games they think will win.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2009, 04:53:32 PM »
Quiet you.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline SkiDragon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »
I went for Donkey Kong Country 2 because it is the only one that I own, haven't finished, and want to finish. It also reminded me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIed0kUh57w

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2009, 11:54:13 PM »
Nuts to all you. Ogre Battle was the best game on the SNES.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Cambot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2009, 03:32:49 AM »
Aw, let's pick Legend of the Mystical Ninja. There are so many odd and hilarious things in that game. It would be an awesome discussion.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2009, 03:55:24 AM »
Hearing that tidbit of news just made the poll more exciting.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
I've been listening to the podcast for a while (great job by the way!) but I joined just to vote for Ogre Battle, a truly underappreciated gem. That said, I'd be happy with any of those titles; you know things are going well when the weakest title on your list is ActRaiser.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2009, 11:12:10 PM »
Welcome to the forums, noname!

I like Ogre Battle as well, but I chose not to vote for it because of the inaccessibility of the game. I don't think a lot of the people here would appreciate it in the same light. And considering I was one of the bigger supporters of Ninja Spirit I don't want to take a risk like that a second time in a row.

Random fact: did you know that the word 'nemo' is Latin for 'nobody'? So I could give you the nickname 'Nemo' since you have no name. What say you? ;)
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2009, 11:13:24 PM »
To me, this poll is the opposite of Alien vs. Predator. Whoever wins, we all win.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2009, 11:17:14 PM »
To me, this poll is the opposite of Alien vs. Predator. Whoever wins, we all win.

I'll drink to that. (Pepsi that is, to get more free points to get the games... ;D)
My Game Collection

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2009, 10:26:11 AM »
It's a little sad to know that there are so many awesome games in one poll.  I'd hate to see any of these to become ineligible for future polls.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
Welcome to the forums, noname!

I like Ogre Battle as well, but I chose not to vote for it because of the inaccessibility of the game. I don't think a lot of the people here would appreciate it in the same light. And considering I was one of the bigger supporters of Ninja Spirit I don't want to take a risk like that a second time in a row.

Random fact: did you know that the word 'nemo' is Latin for 'nobody'? So I could give you the nickname 'Nemo' since you have no name. What say you? ;)
Thanks!

You're absolutely right that the game is anything but friendly (how many important things, such as the Alignment system, go completely unexplained?) but I've always thought of the game as the digital version of dating the head cheerleader; it's intimidating and occasionally very frustrating, but once you get the hang of it it's well worth it. I'd just like it if more people would take the chance to play this title, since I know that a lot of people would fall in love with the series.

The fact that more purchases of this game heightens the chance for the 64 version's release is merely a happy coincidence.  ;D

As for the nickname, fire away! It's certainly more dignified than having random digits for my last name.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
It's a little sad to know that there are so many awesome games in one poll.  I'd hate to see any of these to become ineligible for future polls.

This is the first appearance of all of these games. It'll be a long time before any of these becomes ineligible.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens in this poll...  Sounds like a my favorite quirky game isn't going to get enough love, but the Goemon series must be used to that by now.

I agree with others who say that there is no real losing pick this time around.  Super Mario World is probably the game I'm least interested in... but that's just because it's been played through so many times before.
 :D
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
I think Jonny mentioned that he is considering an 'import poll' down the road and that Geomon stands a good chance of being on it. Am I right, Jonny?

I'd probably vote for Geomon on that poll. Though there are a couple other ones that interest me so we'll just have to wait and see what makes the list.
My Game Collection

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »
Also I have previously bought all of these games, so that makes it easy for me regardless of what wins!

Is your dixie icon a hint of which one you want to win? If yes, I will join you.

--never mind, i see you want SMRPG to win
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2009, 12:16:28 AM »
I've always thought that these discussions are more fun when the game is new to the majority of us.  Nobody is going to have initial reactions to Super Mario World, and often times that first week and then the evolution of their feelings on the second week are interesting.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report