Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 196866 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
The whole point of RetroActive is to play games you missed the first time around.
I thought the point of the RetroActive was to discuss how classic games impacted the evolution of gaming?

I don't think the Prince of Persia games would be my thing with how violent, dark, and difficult they sound.

That's 3 things the first game in the trilogy, Sands of Time, most definitely isn't.  You spend the whole game killing sand demons that spurt sand when absorbed into your dagger; the game's tone is dark but portrayed in a rather fanciful "1,001 Arabian Nights" -style with vivid colors and lots of lighting; and the game's difficulty basically boils down to how well you can dodge wall-based sawblades and continually massacre the same enemy over and over again by abusing the wall run + leap slash attack.  Most of Sands of Time is performing fantastical platforming with some switch puzzles here and there.  It's very different from the decidedly-dark and violent turn the series took with Warrior Within and then largely recovered from for Two Thrones.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2009, 04:15:03 PM »
Even though it largely recoverd in Two Thrones, it didn't fully. It's got a shadow of that past in it. They needed another step up to truly advance from Sands. The 360/PS3 game might have done that, but I haven't played it so I can't comment on it.

I am sad that one didn't come to Wii at all, especially considering the games supposedly sold best on the Cube.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2009, 04:28:17 PM »
Even though it largely recoverd in Two Thrones, it didn't fully. It's got a shadow of that past in it. They needed another step up to truly advance from Sands. The 360/PS3 game might have done that, but I haven't played it so I can't comment on it.

I am sad that one didn't come to Wii at all, especially considering the games supposedly sold best on the Cube.

I don't think control would have been an issue on Wii, but having played and beaten the newest Prince of Persia (including the Epilogue DLC) I don't think the Wii could have handled that game's graphical style; lighting; and particularly the huge environments without some pretty hefty downgrading.  Still, if you liked Sands of Time you should really like the newest Prince of Persia if you can get over the fact that Elika is a walking, talking checkpoint and that you are supposed to be immersed in the experience rather than the challenge like in previous PoP games.  I highly recommend it myself, as it definitely goes back to the fanciful/"magical" tone of Sands of Time.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »
Did it come to PC? I'll probably get it on PC eventually as I do want to try it. Or on one of the HD consoles once I decide and save enough to get one.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
Did it come to PC? I'll probably get it on PC eventually as I do want to try it. Or on one of the HD consoles once I decide and save enough to get one.

Yes, it did come to PC last year alongside the console versions.  I skimmed a few reviews and haven't found any note of major issues with the PC version specifically so if you have a PC that can run it go for it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »
Retroactive isn't just for games you missed but revisiting games you may have memories about and seeing if it holds up.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2009, 05:14:22 PM »
Retroactive isn't just for games you missed but revisiting games you may have memories about and seeing if it holds up.

True, but we were trying to convince Mop it up to try a new game she hadn't played yet and that is one of the many purposes/uses of RA.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »
If you think Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is difficult then you're never tried to convince me to try a new game.
Remember when New Play Control! Pikmin was released a few months back? I still haven't bought it so Pap64 still hates me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
Hate

Shame

Grief
My Game Collection

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »
Hulk Ultimate Destruction: GC
Neutopia : TG16
StarTropics : NES
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja: SNES
ActRaiser : SNES
Comix Zone: Sega Genesis
King of the Monsters : Neo Geo

That should be the next poll. Varied and fun stuff

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
We need Super Mario Bros 3 so Lindy can play the whole thing!

Also maybe Links Crossbow Training, and there is no excuse not to have it or to pick it up. It is $3 used at Gamestop.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:00:10 PM by kraken613 »
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »
There are some good suggestions, but I'll throw a few different options down as well for the upcoming SNES retroactive:

Metal Marines - Interesting strategy game where you build base defenses, and then command airstrikes against an opponent on a nearby island. Not a true classic but maybe an interesting game to discuss. General strategies, what you do/don't like, what impact it has had on other games or genres that we still play (the popular tower defense genre comes to mind)...  Nice that it's password based, so people can skip around levels if they need to.

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen - In honor of Ogre Battle 64 getting mentioned as a "top 3" game in the podcast, why not explore this deep strategy game to see how it holds up today?

Super Mario RPG - A popular and well-received game... so how come Nintendo's flagship RPG switched to Paper Mario and never went back?  What characters did you like/despise?

DoReMi Fantasy - Milon reappears, but the gameplay is (thankfully) much better than in Secret Castle in this old-school platformer. What better way to give newer gamers that "import" feeling, especially during cut scenes?

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Goemon to the rescue!  An oddball adventure that includes solid (if silly) multiplayer and unusual minigames to break up the action.  A cult favorite that more people should try playing, this game always reminded me of the much lauded River City Ransom somehow.
NNID: ejamer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2009, 04:51:16 PM »
I fully endorse Super Mario RPG being considered.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
I would like to add a third vote for Actraiser.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »
Super Mario RPG - A popular and well-received game... so how come Nintendo's flagship RPG switched to Paper Mario and never went back?  What characters did you like/despise?
It did. It's called Mario & Luigi.

I like Super Mario RPG, but I don't know if it's a good pick for RetroActive, if only because I can't think of what to say about it right now.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »

I like Super Mario RPG, but I don't know if it's a good pick for RetroActive, if only because I can't think of what to say about it right now.

Yeah it does pale in comparison to Ninja Spirit and SGNG when it comes to what you can talk about. ;)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2009, 01:04:21 AM »

Yeah it does pale in comparison to Ninja Spirit and SGNG when it comes to what you can talk about. ;)
Last time I checked I didn't vote for either of those games, either.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2009, 03:27:05 AM »

I don't really want to do SM RPG for RetroActive. I already played about 3/4ths of the way through the VC version and beat it multiple times on the SNES. And for some reason I just can't think of it as a very interesting RA game.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2009, 04:55:15 AM »
I'm all for Mario RPG being in the SNES poll, though I have no intention of playing it again because...I just finished a playthrough of it a few days ago.   ;)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2009, 04:57:25 AM »
I'm all for Mario RPG being in the SNES poll, though I have no intention of playing it again because...I just finished a playthrough of it a few days ago.   ;)

I would probably just go back to my VC save and finish the game. I played it recently enough that I could still engage in some relevant and good conversation.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2009, 07:37:28 PM »
I'm sure Super Mario RPG would provide many areas of discussion. It's an RPG from the 90's, it's a Nintendo/Square collaboration, and the succeeding Mario RPGs are all different. It's currently the number 1 Super NES board on GameFAQs so there must be a lot to talk about. It's still my favourite Mario RPG because it isn't as simple as Paper Mario and the story isn't as cheesy as Mario and Luigi.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2009, 07:39:59 PM »
I would argue it is not as simple as Paper Mario. Paper Mario used those badge things. There was a lot more you could do in SM RPG.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »
The badge system was interesting but it mostly just replaced a lot of the RPG conventions like learning moves through leveling up. Plus, the battle system was more simple. Less characters, less commands, really low HP numbers, etc.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »
Oh, I misread you. I thought you said is was as simple as Paper Mario. Oops.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2009, 07:47:11 PM »
Ha ha, and I misread what you said. I thought you were arguing that Paper Mario was NOT more simple.

That was an interesting little moment...