Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 196787 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2009, 04:57:14 PM »
I think the general consensus is Bonk's Revenge is the best one.  Bonk's Adventure is also supposed to be good, too.  Bonk III is the weakest of the series, but still not bad.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2009, 05:50:06 PM »
I think the general consensus is Bonk's Revenge is the best one.  Bonk's Adventure is also supposed to be good, too.  Bonk III is the weakest of the series, but still not bad.

From what I've read, I definitely wish I got Bonk's Revenge instead of Adventure.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2009, 06:48:50 PM »

You forgot Air Zonk and Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly Paradise (which are supposed to take place in the future of the Bonk timeline and Zonk being a descendant of Bonk).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »
I didn't forget them.  Both of them are side-scrolling shooters.  When people think "Bonk" they think 2D platformers.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2009, 06:56:08 PM »

You forgot Air Zonk and Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly Paradise (which are supposed to take place in the future of the Bonk timeline and Zonk being a descendant of Bonk).

So Bonk's descendants would be named Conk and Donk all the way to Zonk? I didn't know they were connected by story. I had always though it was just an excuse to put Bonk in a future setting.

If a Bonk were in the poll I would want Bonk's Revenge since I have hear as well it's one of the better games in the series. Though Bonk's Adventure was Nominated back on both page one and two of this thread so if were going by demand that may be the most requested, though a lot of the Bonk requests didn't specify which they preferred.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »
I don't know much about the Bonk storyline, just that Air Zonk is supposed to be set in the future of the Bonk universe. I think you are right in that it was basically just an excuse to get Bonk in the future.

vudu, I am aware of that. I am just saying that technically they are part of the Bonk franchise. It's the same way Paper Mario and Mario Kart of part of the Mario franchise.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »
The next poll will probably be Super NES games. There's not a huge selection, but nominations are nevertheless welcome, as always. Please include a few words about why you think it would be good for RetroActive.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2009, 02:19:12 PM »
Any of the Donkey Kong Country games would probably yield some good discussions about how well they've held up over the years.  Personally, I'd like to try the second one, as I've never played it (and I hear it's the best of the trilogy) but I'd be willing to be the first one would be more popular.

Mystical Ninja has some true believers, although I think the N64 one is generally considered far superior to the SNES one.  I don't know much about the series but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

ActRaiser would be a great choice, since it's such a unique game.  However, considering the RFN crew has already discussed the game before (or was that Retronauts?  I forget) it might be out of the running.

I'm sure someone's going to mention Mario RPG, so it might as well be me.  I played it for the first time when it came out on VC last year.  It wasn't a bad game, but compared to the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games it pales in comparison.  Plus, I'm hoping that the original Paper Mario game will win the upcoming N64 poll, and I wouldn't want to see both games win the polls so close together.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
It's a classic that most people have probably played before, but I want to nominate Super Mario World. It is easily the best 2D Mario game IMO and one of the best games period. The levels were awesome, the enemies varied and entertaining, and discovering all the hidden paths was fun. The game also had some of the hardest levels I have ever played in a platformer (certain secret levels in Star World).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »
I have never played Donkey Kong Country so it being chosen for the RetroActive would be a good excuse to get it. Plus it is always interesting when one of the people of the RetroActive discussion has the perspective of playing the game for the first time.

Super Mario RPG would be another good one. I think it is still the best Mario RPG so when you contrast that with Vudu's comments there's either an interesting discussion there or a throwdown of pithy insults. Hopefully it'd be the former.

I haven't played Super Mario World in some time but that might be one of those games which has exhausted all interesting conversation.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »
I'd throw in a nomination for Earthbound, but for whatever reason it's not readily available at the moment.  Instead, how about Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past?  Damn Nintendo for not putting some more interesting games from the SNES on the VC (Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Lufia 2, Earthbound, etc.)...
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »
Personally, I'd like to stay away from the games that EVERYONE has already played.  This would include Super Mario World, Link to the Past, etc.  (It would probably also include Donkey Kong County, but whatever--the sequel is still fair game.  ;))

I also think it goes without saying that Super Metroid shouldn't be included for the sole reason that RFN has already done an excellent episode dedicated to the game.

Super Mario RPG would be another good one. I think it is still the best Mario RPG so when you contrast that with Vudu's comments there's either an interesting discussion there or a throwdown of pithy insults. Hopefully it'd be the former.

Between Secret of Mana and Zelda II we've we've already done a good deal of RPG-like games.  Also, anyone who thinks Mario RPG is better than Mario & Luigi, is stupid.  ;D

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »
I think DKC 3 would be the best to nominate of the three because a lot of people probably missed it when it first came out.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »
But DKC3 sucks.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2009, 12:42:08 AM »
But DKC3 sucks.

All the more stuff to talk about. And it doesn't suck at all. It may not be as good as the second or first, but it is still a quality title.

Remember controversial titles that have people split on how good it is seem to be more interesting since the Zelda 2 one was one of our most commented on games yet.
My Game Collection

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »
I vote for the original Donkey Kong Country... i have many more memories with it than any other SNES game,

If Illusion of Gaia was out that would be my number one vote... seeing how that was one of my favorite games as a kid.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
I echo all your comments about Illusion of Gaia -- it's a brilliant, fascinating game that should have been put on VC long ago, especially since Enix published it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2009, 02:42:50 PM »
Between Secret of Mana and Zelda II we've we've already done a good deal of RPG-like games.  Also, anyone who thinks Mario RPG is better than Mario & Luigi, is stupid.  ;D

Hey, we can't help that RPGs are what the SNES did best and is best remembered for.  ;)

Besides, this might actually encourage me to play that VC copy of Mario RPG I've had sitting on my Wii ever since I bought it.  I haven't played that game since the SNES days.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:53:20 PM by broodwars »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2009, 02:52:20 PM »
I'd throw in a nomination for Earthbound, but for whatever reason it's not readily available at the moment. 
I'd love a RetroActive on that game but it just isn't feasible with how mopping expensive it is.

Personally, I'd like to stay away from the games that EVERYONE has already played.
That's kind of difficult though because most of the obscure SNES games aren't on the Vrtual Console.

Also, it makes sense how a lot of RPGs are picked for this. They are complex games so there is a lot to discuss.

If Illusion of Gaia was out that would be my number one vote... seeing how that was one of my favorite games as a kid.
I never could figure out where to go in that game.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »
I'll nominate Actraiser.  It's one of those fairly well known games I've just never played.  Maybe it's a game many people have played to death, but I've always been interested in it.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »
Here are some under the radar suggestions.   I'm with vudu on avoiding the universally loved titles like Zelda & Mario.

Breath of Fire II: I always wanted to play this game.

Ogre Battle: Same reason.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2009, 01:30:08 PM »
Here are some under the radar suggestions.   I'm with vudu on avoiding the universally loved titles like Zelda & Mario.

Breath of Fire II: I always wanted to play this game.

Ogre Battle: Same reason.

I would have nominated Ogre Battle as well, but that game will never win a voting poll.  It's way too niche.  As for Breath of Fire, well...it's just not very good.   :P

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2009, 06:51:24 PM »
I love the Breath of Fire series, but they aren't very interesting compared to something like Super Mario RPG.

Ogre Battle is like Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for me. I sort of understand why people like it, but I have never been able to play it for more than a few minutes.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2009, 09:06:24 PM »
I love the Breath of Fire series, but they aren't very interesting compared to something like Super Mario RPG.

Ogre Battle is like Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for me. I sort of understand why people like it, but I have never been able to play it for more than a few minutes.

Did you ever play the N64 Oger Battle, Jonny? I find that one a lot more intuitive and enjoyable than the SNES one. If it ever makes it to the VC, consider it automatically nominated by me. Unlike Black Queen, Persons of Lordly Caliber actually has a story between missions that is rather interesting.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2009, 01:00:14 AM »

Did you ever play the N64 Oger Battle, Jonny? I find that one a lot more intuitive and enjoyable than the SNES one. If it ever makes it to the VC, consider it automatically nominated by me. Unlike Black Queen, Persons of Lordly Caliber actually has a story between missions that is rather interesting.

Indeed, Ogre Battle 64 takes the Ogre Battle formula (the real Ogre Battle formula, not that bland [and now generic] Tactics crap) and actually makes it fun.  Sure, the game isn't hard at all after the first group of missions or whatnot once you have a decent set of characters and you just start annihilating enemy unit leaders, but it's a lot more fun and I remember the sprite work being excellent (and ,outside the map screens, what little 3D there is is well-implemented).  And yeah, the story's especially well-done with plenty of sidequests and optional characters as well.

But if I remember right, Jonny said when answering one of my Emails on RFN that he'd tried OB64 and didn't really get into that one, either.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:07:32 AM by broodwars »