Author Topic: Code of Princess' Solange Discovers Brassieres  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Code of Princess' Solange Discovers Brassieres
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »

Save our modest Western sensibilities!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/31358

Code of Princess is my most-anticipated game of 2012 ā€” partially because there is nothing else now in the 2012 lineup, and I canā€™t imagine too many of the higher-profile Wii U games are actually going to make launch, but thatā€™s my cynical side. I played Code of Princess at E3 this year, and itā€™s a fancy little beat-ā€˜em-up with RPG trappings, lots of characters to choose from, and gorgeous graphics. I guess it also has online play, which is handy.

Before E3 2012, Iā€™d been aware of the game but wasnā€™t sure it would ever see a Western release. One of the things that initially drew me to Code of Princess was its scantily-clad heroine, Solange, who is decked out in the most minimal armor possible for a warrior princessā€”which is par for the course in these kinds of gamesā€”while wielding a truly impressive two-handed sword and big steel gauntlets. Solange even got a figure, produced by a company called Empty, which comes in two color schemes. Itā€™s not the most impressive figure in the world, although it is based on official art for the game (by Kinu Nishimura).

This is Solange's official character art from the Japanese version. I have issues with her posture, expression, and proportions.

And here's the accurate yet incredibly bizarre 3D interpretation. Regardless, both the illustration and the figure keep Solange's metal pasties at the fore. They are stupid, yes.

The figure shows how impractical and silly her outfit isā€”sheā€™s got more armor covering her arms and shoulders than the rest of her body. The most egregious ā€œfeatureā€ is that Solange has chosen to cover her sizable breasts with steel pasties. Given that sheā€™s presenting fairly large targets, this wardrobe choice seems poorly thought-out. Of course, this is a common trope in JRPGā€™sā€”a female characterā€™s best armor is also the least practical. The less it covers, the better the armor rating.

Well, as Atlusā€™ recent North American website confirms, theyā€™ve decided to tone down Solangeā€™s exposed boobage significantly. Rather than wearing metal pasties, Solange has discovered the supportive power of metallic bras. The question will be whether this change will carry over to the game sprite itselfā€”at E3, where I played a half-translated version of the game, Solangeā€™s in-game character model was still rocking barely-there pasties. I somehow doubt that Atlus will go to the trouble of redrawing her character model to provide some more mammary coverage. The images on the gameā€™s box and soundtrack (and, presumably, concept art book) have not been altered in this way, though, so maybe Atlus is only focusing on ā€œcovering upā€ promotional material featuring Solange.

I actually like this MORE, despite her being more covered-up. The art isn't so complex. Cutscenes from the game confirm that the in-game story sequences will feature an art style somewhere between the two.

When I initially saw this, I was irritatedā€”-Solangeā€™s character design shows off her rack, get over itā€”-but the more I think about it, the less I care. All signs point to her in-game character model (and probably in-game character art) wearing next-to-nothing, so if Atlus wants to get more people in the door by taming down the promotional material, Iā€™m not going to disparage them that point. And hey, bra or no, Solange is going to look great on my giant 3DS XL screens. End verdict? No harm, no foul.

Can't wait for October 9th, though.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Code of Princess' Solange Discovers Brassieres
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »
The armor is ridiculous bait but she's the only one (well, one of two as I think the necromancer is walking around in her bare panties). Also, I think her character design looks nice.

Ahem! Hope the game turns out well. I've read that it is reminiscent of Guardian Heroes and people liked that game.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
I was hoping this thread was going to be about a weird promotional offer or swag given with the game. But it's just about different marketing. Oh well. Thanks for keeping us abreast of the situation.

Slylock Fox asks: Can you figure out the super clever joke made in the above paragraph?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »
At least she didn't discover Brazzers.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
Only a matter of time.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
After reading this Zach, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to turn in your Man Card. We'll be burning it, and sending you a Woman Card in the mail shortly.

Next you'll be hoping that instead of attacking/killing her enemies, she'll have them over for tea and crumpets?

Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »
Next you'll be hoping that instead of attacking/killing her enemies, she'll have them over for tea and crumpets?

As the resident anglophile, I'll have to insist that you take that comment back, sir.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.