Author Topic: Off-Topic Wise-Ass Comments About Other NWR Forum Threads And Also Other Stuff  (Read 935950 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Apparently NeoGaf is imploding. Time to start a forum membership drive to attract new visitors!

Details, man, details. What kind of reporter just gives the headline with no body?

This sounds interesting but I don't go to NeoGaf so I don't know what to look for or what the situation is.

The owner of the site, Evilore, was outed as an alleged sexual harasser (with his questionable history, though, it's hard to give him any benefit of the doubt). This resulted in a voluntary mass exodus of staff and users. No knowledge on if GAF will continue, but seeing as Evilore is the owner of it...

Too bad, as it was a great source for news, and the majority of staff and users were really cool and didn't fall into typical gamer tropes (especially in a post-Trump world where everyone who doesn't use homophobic slurs casually is deemed an "SJW").

I don't know if I would say they didn't fall into typical gamer tropes, they defined their own trope.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
A case of the ones at the top ruining it for the users who suffer in the process.

And ShyGuy, I didn't complete my thought, but that goes way too political for what's appropriate on this site for me to do so, so I'm sorry for even posting that.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I wanted to see what this implosion looked like but when I went to the site, it took forever to load and the Off-Topic community thread titles didn't seem like anything relevant and I gave up waiting for the Gaming Forum to load. I'll just have to imagine what this whole thing would look like.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ravio

• Blast Mask
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Picture all the top people on NeoGAF are Ravio, or maybe even 2 or 3 Ravio together, and I imagine that's what it probably looks like.
https://ravizon.herokuapp.com
Buy tools! Buy weapons! Rent votes!

Offline Mipha

• Hylian Shield
    • View Profile
In NOLA we drank and had fun and one night we had been drinking our hotel room and I got sick. I was throwing up and decided to hop in the shower to feel better. I was surprised when he got into the shower, fully naked, behind me.

So I told him that it wasn’t ok, that I was sick, that I had a boyfriend, that I didn’t want that.
He got out

So literally nothing happened and he respected her wishes not to engage in any activities? ???

I couldn’t come out about this situation because the perpetrator is a semi famous man in video games who would have retaliated and I couldn’t afford to defend myself

As far as I can tell, he isn't rich nor connected to any important people in any way. His whole career has been based on running NeoGAF. I don't see how he's particularly threatening. ???

Then again, I don't browse NeoGAF so I could be missing some important context...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:41:58 AM by Mipha »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Getting naked and jumping into the shower with someone, uninvited, is sexual harassment no matter how you look at it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I'm not defending anyone's actions, but this recent thread unraveling has become very dangerous.
I really hope it takes down those at the the bottom to top that deserve it, but it also means that women and men can all use any sort of unwanted advance regardless of how relevant it may have been in context of the situation at hand, as a tool to ruin anyone's present and future with the mere mention of the incident from their perspective.

and by the way #metoo

But I've seen serial sluts (men and women) claim foul play the next morning when they were the aggressors in the situation. I've seen pretty tepid people do the same when in my opinion they were the initiator or were atleast engaged in the flirtation at one point, regardless of how much they ended up drinking in the end, which led to them allowing the other party to believe that everything was not only consensual but invited and very welcome.... up until I guess, the point when it wasn't.

I believe no means no, and yes, some of the lesser stories I've read perhaps do cross a line, but flirters gonna flirt and shooters gotta shoot. A lot of things can be taken a lot ways, but without knowing the full context of the situation, I can say from experience (of being a witness), that not all is as it's told.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:55:34 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Not to accuse you of defending anyone, but anyone who's drunk enough to the point of vomiting is probably not in a place to offer consent.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Oh, I'm not defending the Evillore story at all. I wasn't there, I have no idea if it happened the way she said, and he didn't really seem to say it happened any other way, so that's all on him.,
I'm not defending any of the stories coming out.

I'm just saying that I've heard stories like these before, been witness to the events that led up to some similar stories before, hell, I've been a victim of a few untold story before. I just know that among all the stories that may come out, not all are exactly as told.

But I agree, there is a point in which prior context/consent becomes null an void. puking and passing out happen to be 2 of those. violation of bathroom privacy without invite is also not cool at all, and what he was accused of doing is inexcusable.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:02:01 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Also worth noting: The Escapist is also gone now. No salacious reasons this time, just a total lack of money to keep anyone but the barebones needed to kerpt Zero Punctuation going.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/171005-Open-Letter-to-The-Escapist-Community
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
That might be one for the game industry deathwatch thread.

Sad news though.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Ah so that's why NeoGaf is down... Not a member there, but I like to read that "52 games in 1 year" challenge thread a lot. If the site goes down permanently that'd be a real shame for many users there, but I gotta commend the moderators for stepping down. If (some of) those allegations are real, and I was a member/mod there I'd feel pretty disgusted if only by association. Hope that the website did not generate profits (or does not continue to) for abusers or enabled them to continue.
Realistically I understand that large forums are bound to have Real Shitheads amongst their members, if only because it becomes increasingly statistically likely... But to have an (alleged) Shithead run the place, yikes man.

As for the Escapist, I still watch Zero Punctuation there, but those forums really took a turn for the worst around all that gamergate bullshit. Don't know if it's still the case, but for a while there the Escapist attracted some really closeminded folks. Could be better again now, but the atmosphere on that forum seemed a bit toxic (to me).

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
NeoGAF was sucha  big part of the gaming community. With all the news and rumors that would come from there,  I'm truly left wondering what's gonna fill the void.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:37:31 PM by nickmitch »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
NeoGAF was sucha  big part of the gaming community. With all the news and rumors that would come from there,  I'm truly left wondering what's gonna fill the void.

Nintendo World Report forums are what's going to fill the void. Time to step up our game!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:43:02 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central

Nintendo World Report forums are what's going to fill the void. Time to step our game!

First line of business -- less low activity sub-forums!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
But maybe now they'll be high activity sub-forums with all these new users suddenly joining us. We can't take that chance of shutting them down now!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Man, I still needed NeoGAF. I didn’t get to mod my Super Nintendo Classic Edition yet.

In all seriousness, who the **** thinks it’s okay to jump in the shower with someone uninvited? Who raised these people?

Offline Ravio

• Blast Mask
    • View Profile
Man, I still needed NeoGAF. I didn’t get to mod my Super Nintendo Classic Edition yet.

In all seriousness, who the **** thinks it’s okay to jump in the shower with someone uninvited? Who raised these people?

GBAtemp, son.
https://ravizon.herokuapp.com
Buy tools! Buy weapons! Rent votes!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
You know what shocks me the most about this Mafia game? Everyone just seems to use the Default Forum theme! I thought more people were using the Core theme but it seems like I'm the only one.
I use Core, but I'm too lazy to change it on my Mafia account. I don't really see any reason to since it's just used for one thing.

Besides, both themes stink compared to the removed Babylon theme.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline Mipha

• Hylian Shield
    • View Profile
but I gotta commend the moderators for stepping down. If (some of) those allegations are real, and I was a member/mod there I'd feel pretty disgusted if only by association.

A coworker's personal life no way affects you by association. I worry that some of the mods are stepping down so they don't get attacked for something they had no hand in.

Hope that the website did not generate profits (or does not continue to) for abusers or enabled them to continue.
Realistically I understand that large forums are bound to have Real Shitheads amongst their members, if only because it becomes increasingly statistically likely... But to have an (alleged) Shithead run the place, yikes man.

Shitheads have a right to make a living like anyone else.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Can we rename the funhouse "The New Neogaf"?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
But Mario Odyssey releases in 5 days suddenly making New Donk City relevant again. Hooray for the flat circle that is time!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
1up [ x ]
neo-gaf [ x ]
NWR [ :reggie: ]
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.