Author Topic: Rumored Star Fox/Metroid Crossover Put to Rest  (Read 20318 times)

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Rumored Star Fox/Metroid Crossover Put to Rest
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »

Paul Gale now claims that the game is not in development.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30357

The rumor of a Star Fox/Metroid crossover supposedly in development for the Wii U, appears to have been put to rest. According to Paul Gale, the blogger who presented the rumor nearly two weeks ago, Retro Studios is not working on the title, nor is any other developer.

However, according to Paul Gale’s trusted source, the crossover was once proposed to Nintendo, and that “the idea of Star Fox and Metroid crossing paths in a more unified Nintendo universe represented but one of several potential team-up projects that Nintendo has been considering.â€

It remains to be seen whether his source can be trusted, but it doesn’t seem too outlandish to assume a Star Fox/Metroid crossover could have once been proposed. Many games are proposed to Nintendo, but rarely do the rejected ideas become known.

James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Rumored Star Fox/Metroid Crossover Put to Rest
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »
Hmm, other team-up projects. Inspired, perhaps, by Super Mario and Donkey Kong? Maybe a big platforming game with those two and their friends was considered.

Besides the sci-fi universes (F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox) and the cartoon/whimsy universes (Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikmin, Super Mario), I can't think of other Nintendo team-up combinations that have a chance of working out.

Maybe a cross sports game between Wave Race, Excite Bike, and 1080 snowboarding? Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus don't fit with any other series.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:13:17 AM »
Thank Dog.
Gouge away.

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »
Seriously though, that is a far fetch rumor.  I never thought it was true (Regardless of how much I wanted it to be)  As long as there is a Wii U Starfox and Metroid game I will be good.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 02:24:41 AM »
Hmm.... I just realized that in the Mario Galaxy games Mario is in a space setting, so that sets Mario up as a perfect candidate for a crossover with Metroid or Star Fox. ;)

For all we know Rosalina could be Samus' sister or something...
is your sanity...

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:32:37 AM »
Hmm.... I just realized that in the Mario Galaxy games Mario is in a space setting, so that sets Mario up as a perfect candidate for a crossover with Metroid or Star Fox. ;)

Epic Nintendoception.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:04:09 AM »

Epic Nintendoception.

we need to go deeper
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
This is literally Schrodinger's Cat. The game that may not have existed, may now not exist anymore. But did it exist because we wished it into existence?

*confused*

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:34:37 AM »
*whistles*...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:03:01 AM »
Seriously, I mean, if the internet was informed about every idea that was ever discussed, well ....

"God/Gears/Guitar Hero of War may be in development!!"

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »
This is literally Schrodinger's Cat. The game that may not have existed, may now not exist anymore. But did it exist because we wished it into existence?

*confused*
Um, you might want to look up the word literal in the dictionary... :-P
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:58:19 AM by Bman87301 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
Um, you might want to lighten up because you know what he means and it's not a big deal. Maybe you shouldn't take everything so literally...

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »
This does pose an interesting question: what IS Retro working on? If it's another Metroid, I hope we get pointer controls because those were great.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
This does pose an interesting question: what IS Retro working on?
1. New IP
2. Zelda
3. Metroid

Not all 3. Just in that order.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »
This does pose an interesting question: what IS Retro working on?
1. New IP
2. Zelda
3. Metroid

Not all 3. Just in that order.

They've already done Metroid... thrice. Retro doesn't need to be tied-down to one franchise. It's time for them to spread their wings and broaden their horizons.

I'm hoping for Starfox.

EAD has regained my confidence with Skyward Skyward, so I'm fine with them continuing to handle Zelda for now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:04:27 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »
Um, you might want to lighten up because you know what he means and it's not a big deal. Maybe you shouldn't take everything so literally...

So then by "literally", you mean it metaphorically? :-P

He made a mistake, and I pointed it out in good humor-- You're right, it's not a big deal which is why I chose to have fun with it in the first place.

Which one of us really needs to lighten up?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:07:29 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »
They've already done Metroid... thrice. Retro doesn't need to be tied-down to one franchise. It's time for them to spread their wings and broaden their horizons.

I'm hoping for Starfox.

EAD has regained my confidence with Skyward Skyward, so I'm fine with them continuing to handle Zelda for now.
The list in my previous post is what i find most likely.

Skyward Sword was well-made but it didn't resonate with me so Zelda would be at the very top of my list of games for Retro Studios to work on. I feel like the series can benefit from a fresh approach. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo shuffle the deck and let different teams work on projects they traditionally have not worked on. For example, what if Eiji Apnuma's team worked on Mario instead? He's a talented designer. I wonder what he could bring to the series.
So he made a mistake, and I pointed it out in good humor. You're right, it's not a big deal which is why I chose to have fun with it in the first place. Which one of us really needs to lighten up?
Nice try. This isn't the first time you've been snippy with someone over something trivial. In good humor. Right.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 12:22:58 PM »

So then by "literally", you mean it metaphorically? :-P

He made a mistake, and I pointed it out in good humor-- You're right, it's not a big deal which is why I chose to have fun with it in the first place.

Which one of us really needs to lighten up?

Oh the irony, it's almost too much. I would suggest actually you read the dictionary meaning of literally before you try and "correct" someone on its usage.

Quote from: da dictionary
lit·er·al·ly /ˈlitərəlē/ adv.
1. In a literal manner or sense; exactly: "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle".
2. Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling.

And yes, it doesn't really make sense, that's why it's a little bit of a contentious definition, but it has been that way for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:27:59 PM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline UltraClayton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »
If this was announced at E3 I would explode with joy.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »
I would be happy if Retro was working on DKCR2.

Although, much like with "NEW"SMB, I think they should drop the "returns" since, y'know, he's already returned..... just like the SMB games aren't "NEW" anymore.  and technically every game is "NEW" when it hits the shelves..... it's all so poorly named!!

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
Quote from: Adrock
Nice try. This isn't the first time you've been snippy with someone over something trivial. In good humor. Right.

If you're referring to my criticism to BlackNMild's use of the term "uMote" and "tuMote" I actually wasn't wasn't trying to being smart. I honestly had no clue what he meant. In hindsight, "uMote" by itself was reasonably clear-- I guess I was just having mental block that particular day-- it really wasn't intentional.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »
If you're referring to my criticism to BlackNMild's use of the term "uMote" and "tuMote" I actually wasn't wasn't trying to being smart. I honestly had no clue what he meant. In hindsight, "uMote" by itself was reasonably clear-- I guess I was just having mental block that particular day-- it really wasn't intentional.
Are you for rizzle? There's a big difference between not understanding someone and asking what they mean and this:
Do us all a favor and try speaking the same language as the rest of us so we can all understand you.
Come on, now... That's intentionally beligerent. No need to get snippy. Just ask.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »
I would be happy if Retro was working on DKCR2.

Although, much like with "NEW"SMB, I think they should drop the "returns" since, y'know, he's already returned..... just like the SMB games aren't "NEW" anymore.  and technically every game is "NEW" when it hits the shelves..... it's all so poorly named!!

Yeah, I hate those names, too.  They sound too much like product.  Could you imagine a great piece of literature called "Ernest Hemingway's New Novel"?  So why is something that is essentially "2009 Mario Product for Wii" an acceptable name?  But then Nintendo has done this for a while.  "Super Mario 64" makes ZERO sense out of context.  It is pretty much just "Mario Game for Nintendo 64".  I would prefer if Nintendo treated their game titles with a little more artistic integrity, like they do with Zelda.  They didn't call it "Zelda 64" and that was a good thing.  Zelda feels like more than a product because of its naming convention.

Regarding the Star Fox/Metroid rumour, it is interesting to note that Nintendo is at least thinking about the idea of crossovers.  Mario/Donkey Kong is hardly a crossover though since they both debuted in the same game.  It is already well established that they exist in the same universe (along with Wario and oddly enough Conker and Banjo).

The dream game though is SSB RPG - Nintendo's own Kingdom Hearts.  A few years ago I would have suggested Square work on it but they're, um, not so great anymore.  After Xenoblade, I'd assign this to Monolith Soft.  They're clearly capable of such a project and they're already a Nintendo dev.  Just make up some transdimensional portal storyline and you can mix all of the major IP together.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
@Ian Sane

o.
m.
g.

Could you imagine a new Mario Nintendo RPG done by Monolith? Obviously you can because you just did, but, still .... that would be a big deal.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
What if the SSB RPG was made by Team Ninja and directed by Sakamoto? ;)
is your sanity...