Author Topic: Fixing the Wii U - Top 5 Things you would implement/change/improve  (Read 13406 times)

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing the Wii U - Top 5 Things you would implement/change/improve
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 02:50:35 AM »
My top 5?

1. Wifi that works. 

Some people aren't having problems, but there are a significant number of people who are. I have a CS degree, and enough networking experience to go well past basic troubleshooting. Our Wii U can't hold a connection for more than 5 minutes without dropping in and out. For a console that supposedly targets a more casual market, this is doubly problematic.

4-5.  See 1.
I have the same issue with the system, the Wi-Fi sucks, many times I have to go as far as deleting the connection and doing the setup all over again, it works must of the time, but come on, even tablets have better Wi-Fi connections. And why the hell can't I connect the Gamepad through Wi-Fi and play in any place with an available connection? I think those are some serious flaws that Nintendo should work on other than the dreaded battery life of the gamepad.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »
My top 5?

1. Wifi that works. 

Some people aren't having problems, but there are a significant number of people who are. I have a CS degree, and enough networking experience to go well past basic troubleshooting. Our Wii U can't hold a connection for more than 5 minutes without dropping in and out. For a console that supposedly targets a more casual market, this is doubly problematic.

4-5.  See 1.
I have the same issue with the system, the Wi-Fi sucks, many times I have to go as far as deleting the connection and doing the setup all over again, it works must of the time, but come on, even tablets have better Wi-Fi connections. And why the hell can't I connect the Gamepad through Wi-Fi and play in any place with an available connection? I think those are some serious flaws that Nintendo should work on other than the dreaded battery life of the gamepad.

No kidding. Every single wireless device we own, have previously owned, have borrowed, or have had friends bring in connects to our wireless without issue from the exact same location.  Wii U is the only exception.

Missing out on the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate sale twice now, despite multiple hours of troubleshooting and attempting to get a connection to stick long enough to access the Wii U eShop, is salt in the wound.  On the up-side, I did manage to get the Wii U console to update eventually.

As for using the game pad through normal wireless, that's a different matter. The increased lag introduced wouldn't be acceptable for the vast majority of games. I guess Nintendo could make it an option anyway... but I think the current design choice (trying to enforce quality over convenience) is probably a smart one.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:26:41 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
While it'd be nice if the Wireless did work correctly, have either of you tried using the USB LAN Adapter?  Works great, if distance from your router isn't a problem for running a cable.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
While it'd be nice if the Wireless did work correctly, have either of you tried using the USB LAN Adapter?  Works great, if distance from your router isn't a problem for running a cable.

If the layout of our house allowed, I would be all over this.  Unfortunately there is no ethernet drop anywhere close to our living room.  Also, "nice" is an understatement. Being unable to use Wii U for anything that requires an online connection (eShop, general gaming, video content, web access, MiiVerse...) is a pretty massive disappointment.

I could try replacing our router, purchasing an extender and setting it up in the same room, or sending the console in to Nintendo to see if there is some defect that they can fix (this after the initial Wii U console I purchased was also defective and had to be exchanged). Frankly, I'm not keen on any of those options.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »
My big issue was fixed with the latest update, and that's not being able to use the A/V port for sound output when using HDMI. Now I can hook it up to my stereo without having to figure out some other goofy setup, which I had no idea what to do.

The only other thing I can think of is that I can't turn the GamePad completely off when other controllers are in use, but it isn't a big deal, just a small waste of electricity.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »
I just had another good idea while venting in another thread

I wish Nintendo would allow you to lay "skins" or alternative styles to the main menu to match a users preference. maybe some user generated stuff that has to go through a submission process or something. Kinda like how you can change how the forums look, yet it still displays all the same info. I would love if when I log into my profile, my main menu was more dark, like black backgrounds, and I could make my icons take up a 2x1 space or a 2x2 space like arranging widgets on my Android phone. I have multiple screens, why not let me customize my main screen how I see fit?

If I had the patience and skill I would do up a visual of that that would look like, but I don't. Maybe someone else does. you will have to settle for a crudely drawn example instead. (see below)

Considering we have profiles to log onto the machine, it would be nice to be able to customize them.
The Wii U main menu is 5x3 squares

If I could have my inserted game disc take a 2x2 square in the top left, Netflix take a 2x2 on the bottom right & the Wii U shop take a 2x1 at the top right, then I can fill in the rest how I see fit.
This is definitely something Nintendo can implement in a future update.

I drew a pic for your viewing pleasure.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
I wold love a "demo of the week" app that automatically downloaded a demo of a game to my Wii U each week. Maybe the app launches and shows the current game with relevant info and what the last two games were so I can buy/re-download the demo.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »
I noticed another small issue, but it isn't a big deal. I noticed that the rightmost few columns of pixels are cut off, and the left side has a few columns of black lines, meaning that the image of the Wii U is just slightly off center. I tested to make sure this wasn't just my TV, and other content doesn't do this, nor is there an option to realign the screen within my TV. Hopefully, there will be an option from a future update that allows fine-tuning the picture alignment, in addition to just the zoom function that currently exists.