Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410686 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1200 on: January 18, 2014, 12:53:47 AM »
The Wii U + GamePad combo is basically a precursor to Nintendo's inevitable console / handheld hybrid. Switching a game between the TV and GamePad is still one of the coolest things I like about the Wii U. I'm currently playing Batman: Arkham Origins, and I've been spending more of my playtime on the GamePad than the TV.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 18, 2014, 01:02:51 AM »
Also, the reviews were right about Sonic Lost World. It doesn't come anywhere close to the brilliance of Sonic Colors. The music is bland; the stage design is a huge ripoff of Mario Galaxy; the boss battles are dreadfully boring and easy; the color powers are underutilized and feel completely out of place in the game world; and the whole presentation just feels rushed.

But on the plus side, the spin-dash is back finally. And I do like how similarly this game plays to the Genesis titles, relying on actual platforming rather than boosting (though I do love the boost mechanic in the older 3D games).

Why is there a run button? That completely goes against what Sonic games are supposed to be about. Speed should be earned through momentum, which is something this game has none of.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:41:20 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 18, 2014, 02:41:46 AM »
Looking back on the Wii U i hope that there is enough profit to justify continued support for the concept of streaming to a screened controller. Perhaps not as an official controller for the Wii U successor, but as an accessory. Hopefully the bandwidth technology improves enough in the next five years that Nintendo can create a small version of the Gamepad similar to the Vita in size that can use cloud streaming to play home console games on the go. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 18, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
All Sonic games are terrible. All of them.

How to play a 2D Sonic game: hold right on the D-Pad until the game is done.
How to play a 3D Sonic game: hold up on the analog stick until the game is done.

Sorry for going off-topic. Back to the Wii U now.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 18, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
The Wii U + GamePad combo is basically a precursor to Nintendo's inevitable console / handheld hybrid. Switching a game between the TV and GamePad is still one of the coolest things I like about the Wii U. I'm currently playing Batman: Arkham Origins, and I've been spending more of my playtime on the GamePad than the TV.

Pretty sure that will fail harder than the Wii U.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 18, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
Why would that fail? Gaming is going mobile, look at the success of smartphone / tablet games for proof. Even Sony is pushing their PlayStation Now service as 'stream anywhere', including on tablets and smartphones. Nintendo's greatest strength right now is their handhelds, and if they could create a handheld that connects to the TV it would be the best of both worlds.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 18, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
Why would that fail?

Because smartphones and tablets are already filling that need.  People already have access to plenty of games on their tablets and phones.  I think the number of people willing to haul around a bulky handheld on top of their wallet, keys and phone and/or tablet would be quite small indeed.  Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw someone playing a portable.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 18, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
If tablets get better TV connectivity and start allowing for USB controllers, Nintendo games on tablets might be the future just like Playstation now for Sony. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 18, 2014, 08:07:11 PM »

I use the Gamepad 80% of the time. For one my TV sucks, but it is also convenient for my wife and I. We can stream a movie on the original Wii while I play Monster Hunter on the Gamepad. Sometimes I will have it on both TV and Gamepad if I feel like switching between screens.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 18, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »
Here is some news that wasn't covered by NWR and what's funny is I was just ranting about this very thing in a different thread

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303465004579325760899958956
In a snap news conference called in Osaka, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata admitted he had misread the markets and hadn't issued "the appropriate instructions.'' He said the company needed to change and "propose something that surprises our customers."

"The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are—have changed," Mr. Iwata said. "If we stay in one place, we will become outdated."

[...]
Analysts, investors, and Nintendo's many game fans have been clamoring for some kind of change in the company's strategy.
[...]
"I hate to say this, but Nintendo is out of touch," said Yoshihisa Toyosaki, president of Tokyo-based IT consultancy Architect Grand Design Inc. "It has a chance to change course, but I doubt it's going to take it."
[...]

Still, Mr. Iwata noted that Nintendo's sales in Japan were better than they were in the U.S. and Europe, and said the company needed a better way of keeping in touch with trends abroad.

"In Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad, that doesn't work," he said.

BOOM!!! the 12 step recover process begins.

Now let the branches of Nintendo work autonomously, as you basically sign off on the things they want to do as long as it stays withing a set budget dictated by the business being achieved in each region. Actually, I'll just link to my little rant right >HERE< as I'm sure some of you may agree with my moment of outburst.

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
I'm not as optimistic as you that good changes are coming.  Nintendo has historically said the right things but failed to react.  Such as VC that is on another discussion.  They have admitted they've done a poor job taking advantage of their back-catalog of games and note that consumers demand it.  I know every Nintendo survey I do now I express my displeasure in the offerings.  But nothing has changed on the VC front. 

The bolded quote that Nintendo is out of touch is from a non-Nintendo employee and that part of the article expresses skepticism that Nintendo will change.  That is where I am at, I'll believe Nintendo change when I see it.

I'm really concerned about the Wii U.  They have a strategic meeting in January, planned titles may not hit the Wii U. 

There was this in the article, "Some analysts say Nintendo appears to be stepping up its research and development spending, and may even be working on a new gaming system." 

I hate to say it, but Wii U 2 will most likely be as big of a failure as Wii U 1.  I think they are overestimating the Wii U success in Japan.  Had the PS4 been released there, I think the Wii U would be flagging there as well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:50:16 PM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 18, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
R&D spending could be for the handheld successor too, as it's almost that time.
3DS came out in 2011, so ramping up R&D now for a launch in late 2015/early 2016 for the handheld successor would make sense.

However they could be looking at an early retirement of Wii U (which I doubt) unless it comes in the form of that "hybrid" that I proposed, or something similar to it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 18, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »
3DS is doing well and deserves a nice, long life. Take an extra year and launch both at the same time with a lot of hybrid capabilities while Nintendo 'cubes' the Wii U.
My Game Collection

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 18, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »
Seems quick to replace the 3DS to me.  The DS lasted 2004-2011 (unless you count the DSI as a separate platform).  3DS was the best selling console last year so it seems too early to replace to me.  I know we talk alot about hybrids here, but I've seen nothing hinting at it from an industry level or from Nintendo themselves so I'm skeptical that is their plan. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 18, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
It just makes sense from my perspective if I was in Nintendo's position.
So skeptical or not, it just where I think they should atleast explore the option.

It could be like a 3rd pillar that technically replaces the 3DS, but also temporarily replaces the Wii U till Nintendo can get it's feet back underneath them. 3DS will still have 3DS games, yet they could also be playable on the successor "hybrid". and Wii U may still get games, and those will defintely be available on the successor "hybrid". SO it would be like the WIi U gets to live on, but you are riding on the back of success of the handheld sector, not the failure of the home console.

It's just an idea, one that I am apparently not alone in thinking makes alot of sense for Nintendo to at the very least give a heavy consideration. (and if they do, I hope they call me to consult ;) ;) )

and it may be a little early to replace the 3DS, but it's waaaay too soon to kill the Wii U. the Hybrid idea allows them to recoup some of that investment by repurposing the the hardware. But I've explained all this before, no need to go all deep into it again. I just think it's not only something the competition isn't doing, but will "surprise" the consumers and jump ahead of an emerging "smart device" "beam to TV" trend in the market. Gotta stay ahead of the game and create new opportunities.

Nintendo was onto something with the Wii U, but they didn't dive in, they just dabbed their toes in the water then tried to go in slowly as they adjusted to the temperature.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: January 18, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »
How would this new handheld support both Wii U and 3DS games? How many screens will it have (one or two)? Will games be eShop only? Will this device be as big as the GamePad, to offer a similar experience while playing Wii U games?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 18, 2014, 11:41:50 PM »
Are you Socrates incarnate?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 18, 2014, 11:57:27 PM »
The investors cracked the whip and Iwata got scared and decided to understand the real issues facing Nintendo. They probably had a janitor's uniform in the making for him.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 19, 2014, 01:26:13 AM »
I actually heard that Japanese business culture is completely different from the rest of the world. The President / CEO has all the power, while the investors and board members are just there to give financial and managerial advice.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 19, 2014, 03:08:35 AM »
I actually heard that Japanese business culture is completely different from the rest of the world. The President / CEO has all the power, while the investors and board members are just there to give financial and managerial advice.

In Iwata's case it wouldn't matter since the board of directors is filled with his longtime friends from within the company anyway.  Kind of hard to get fired when the people who could fire him at the company like the guy and have similar visions.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: January 19, 2014, 10:42:26 AM »
Sounds like American politics. The 'good old boys' never leave and change only comes when people pass on.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: January 19, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
THANKS FOR GETTING THIS THREAD LOCKED BY MENTIONING THE 'P' WORD! pass
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: January 19, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
Anyways... Back to the Wii U discission. I highly doubt Nintendo will release a revision of the Wii U this early in the console's life cycle. They will most likely try to improve its sales with more bundles.

Also, the GamePad is an essential feature of the system. If they make it an optional accessory, barely any of the games would be playable, and no one would buy the GamePad because it would be too expensive. That would be like Nintendo removing the Wii Remote from the Wii SKU.

Also, we have no idea what Nintendo has planned for the rest of the year (summer onwards). They always save their big announcements for E3 or a similar trade show. People act like the only games Nintendo has in development are MK8, Smash, and 'X'. Game companies announce new projects all the time, so people just need to be patient.

What we need is a bundle that has an additional Pro Controller for multiplayer games. That should have been included with the Mario bundle.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:30:46 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 20, 2014, 12:01:25 AM »
Nintendo needs to put their cards on the table and loop us into their development process so we know what they have planned, even if it didn't pan out in the end, like they used to back in the day. There is no need for secrets when it comes to the games you're working on.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: January 20, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »
I would be willing to forgive Nintendo if they had Gamecube and GBA games on the VC and a unified system account between the 3DS and Wii U.