Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410973 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1150 on: January 10, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »
For some reason links are not showing up in my responses. Perhaps they have been disabled?

Did you not know? If someone's Karma Level is at a Negative Balance then all links they post are disabled. If you get a Negative Karma Balance that is double your Lifetime Positive Karma Points then images and video posts are disabled. Better watch out! ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 10, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »
I am that bad of a poster on these forums?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1152 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »
There's room for improvement.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 10, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
Everyone here has room for improvement. Especially Brandogg.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1154 on: January 10, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »
Especially the mods.

Am I right?!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: January 11, 2014, 12:31:55 AM »
Everyone here has room for improvement. Especially Brandogg.

Your frothing demand for my posts increases.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1156 on: January 11, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
This thread blew me away - @igndotcom
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 11, 2014, 11:56:11 AM »
NextLevel has proven it has the chops. Ghost Recon Wii is the rail shooter of choice! ;)

Just kidding, Like Punch Out and Lugi's Mansion, I hope Nintendo gives them more of there A and AA franchises to relaunch. Maybe Urban Champion?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 11, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
Nintendo could give Urban Champion the Killer Insticnt Treatment as a eshop game. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo makes next level their go too sports games developer from now on. Get that next gen punch out and 1080 snowboarding game.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 11, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »
Next Level did an amazing job with Luigi's Mansion 2. If the developer wants to stay Nintendo exclusive, maybe Nintendo should just buy them out and make them a 1st-party studio like they did wih Retro.

Speaking of Nintendo... I'm finally going to get a Wii U! I'll trade in my PS3 + games + controllers and use my Best Buy gift card to buy the Mario bundle. What other games would you guys recommend?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 11, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
I'm biased towards Monster Hunter 3, but that is not for everyone. If you like party games then I would say Nintendo Land is a must. Some of the games in there feel like the awesome Pac-Man Vs. that Nintendo made back on the Gamecube.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: January 11, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
Next Level did an amazing job with Luigi's Mansion 2. If the developer wants to stay Nintendo exclusive, maybe Nintendo should just buy them out and make them a 1st-party studio like they did wih Retro.

Baby steps man, Nintendo wouldn't want to do a hostile takeover, so an exclusive working relationship that eventually graduates to a marriage is a much better route to take.

Retro was different since Nintendo was a 50% stake owner of a studio that wasn't quite working out. They had to take over completely to retool, refocus and recoup their investment.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 11, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »
Retro was different since Nintendo was a 50% stake owner of a studio that wasn't quite working out. They had to take over completely to retool, refocus and recoup their investment.
It was also a hell of a deal at $1 million. They've certainly made good on that.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: January 12, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »
Speaking of Nintendo... I'm finally going to get a Wii U! I'll trade in my PS3 + games + controllers and use my Best Buy gift card to buy the Mario bundle. What other games would you guys recommend?
You might not think you need another Mario game if you have NSM/LBU, but don't let that stop you from getting Super Mario 3D World. It's pretty different from NSMBU and is fun in both single and multiplayer.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 12, 2014, 10:50:28 PM »
I've only had mine since Christmas and have only played a few games so far, but Duck Tales Remastered is as much fun as I've had with a video game in at least a couple years.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 15, 2014, 01:45:51 AM »
Well I finally bought the Wii U today. I sold my PS3 and a bunch of games / accessories, and used my Christmas / birthday money to buy the Wii U.

First impressions:
The Wii U is very sleek and small. I'm surprised Nintendo was able to cram so much tech in a system that's barely bigger than the original Wii. And the Wii U has no heating issues like what plagued the Xbox 360 and PS3, so that's a plus.

The GamePad is very comfortable and surprisingly light. The screen is nowhere near as sharp as a smartphone or tablet, which is a shame. Nintendo could have put in a 'retina' HD screen and added a bigger battery so the controller lasts longer between charges. Tablets and smartphones run full OS's and have dedicated chips inside them, yet they have better battery life than the GamePad. So what's Nintendo's excuse for not adding an HD screen?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 15, 2014, 02:05:11 AM »
Nah, dude. Higher quality video adds a lot of input lag. Considering they are taking HD video and compressing it down to 480p, it looks a lot better than it could have.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
How would the GamePad having an HD screen cause input lag? The Wii U is just sending a video feed from the console to the controller, it's like a localized version of OnLive.

Tablets and smartphones work just fine with high resolution screens. Shouldn't the GamePad be on par with those devices so it can better compete?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:24:57 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 15, 2014, 02:32:42 PM »
Since the Gamepad doesn't do its own processing higher resolution would equal more data which would mean more bandwidth.  Possibly could.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 15, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
How would the GamePad having an HD screen cause input lag? The Wii U is just sending a video feed from the console to the controller, it's like a localized version of OnLive.

Tablets and smartphones work just fine with high resolution screens. Shouldn't the GamePad be on par with those devices so it can better compete?

Tablet and smartphone is not the same as the fucking gamepad. I get increasingly tired of your asnine and incorrect comparisons. Tablets and phones do their own graphic processing. The gamepad does not have the hardware to do that. Higher resolution means more bandwidth to send.

It uses a unique form if WiFi to send the data from the system to the controller. If the resolution was any higher, there would be notifiable input lag. OnLive, your example, is only possible with VERY fast connections, especially as the resolution goes up.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: January 15, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »
It could handle HD video, it just doesn't. This isn't being broadcast over the internet, so bandwidth would not necessarily be an issue.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 15, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »
It could handle HD video, it just doesn't. This isn't being broadcast over the internet, so bandwidth would not necessarily be an issue.
In the Iwata Ask about the Gamepad if memory serves they mention bandwidth as being an issue to have it sync with the screen.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
I was reading about it and apparently the 480p video being sent sometimes spikes to 25-40Mpbs, more than enough for 720p video.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: January 15, 2014, 05:58:10 PM »
But not consistently. I'd rather have constant frame rate than the risk of dips if the system can't handle it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: January 15, 2014, 06:09:25 PM »
I can get an iPad Retina for like $300 hurpy durpy dur and a $100 a month to Verizon for 2 years

Y U NO L33T HARDCOREZ, NONTONDO?

But to get back to news and rumors, Nintendo has apparently started work on a new system in 2013, and they have selected their system on a chip manufacturer. I'm guessing handheld. HYBRID!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:11:24 PM by ShyGuy »