Author Topic: Job problems? Cry here.  (Read 18020 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The Job Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2007, 05:08:25 AM »

Originally posted by: decoyman
I'm applying in a new city (San Francisco) where I know virtually no one.

H-A-L-L-L-L-P-P-P-P!!!

(Where are the Elite Beat Agents when you need them?)

There closed because of Hitler and you said it wrong...

Ok, I have decided that everyone who says that their/there/they're are not enough Computer Scientist and it is a growing job market I want all of them in a room so I can throttle each and every last one of them until I get high paying job for my trouble.  This even will be catered.  The table will be electrified though so they can only eat when I say.  I still consider this minor compared to all that I have gone through so far trying to get a lousy job.  I just want to program... If I wanted to do IT I would have been an MIS major or went to a technical school, no offense I just feel that is a better curriculum for IT style work.  Also if I wanted to be a salesman or a customer service rep I would have gone to Business or India.

KOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2007, 07:04:46 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
I've been in a stable job for several years now, but if there's one thing I learned from my job search, it's that personal connections matter more than you can ever imagine.  My two best prospects both came to me through people I had known for a long time.  At the first of the two, the interviewer pointed to a three inch stack of paper on his desk and told me they were the resumes that came in from their  web site postings.  The whole stack was going in the trash because they got enough qualified candidates from more traditional avenues.  I was placed ahead of hundreds or maybe thousands of other applicants just because my resume had been handed in by someone my potential boss knew and worked with.  Use any connections you have to go from "Anonymous Internet Applicant #1032" to "John says this guy is good."

For sure, personal connections rule.  3 years ago, I just finished high school and was looking for a job for pretty much the entire summer.  I (finally) let one of my friends know that I was looking for work and he brought me in to his job.  I was getting paid for training before I was even officially hired.  Nothing is sweeter.
As for careers, again, recruiters will always be more open to a recommendation from a current employee.  I have two really good friends that recruit chemical engineers and with discrimination and crap, they were saying they really are encouraged to do everything electronically, but they always ask me who is good from my school.  I'm twenty and I could sink or float another person's application at that company because they trust me that much.  It is not always best for the company but it is human nature and a lot easier on recruiters.  Monster I am sure is good but companies have to pay for the service and i think another fee when they hire a candidate through Monster.  If you have a specific company in mind or a posting sounds really good to you, you should post directly on their site if the option is available.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
RE: The Job Thread
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2007, 03:57:20 AM »
It seems I have an interview in San Diego on Tuesday.  They are flying me up on Monday.  Which was sort of fast.  I had my second sort of interview on the phone Friday and after talking for an hour and twenty-four minutes he asked if I had any plans on Monday and I told him not that I couldn't rearrange and now I'm going to San Diego for a day of interviews and a tour of the city.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2007, 05:16:07 AM »
Wow that is impressive. Seeing that they are taking the trouble of flying you up there and everything, is it safe to assume the conculsion to this is a good one?

My job is going well, sort of. My car that I have been fixing up in preperation of future stuff is almost complete. So I will no longer have to fight tooth and nail everytime I go to work. But on the flipside, Two of our drivers are in a process of losing their lisences or already have. Work on Sunday almost melted down as scores of drivers couldn't turn up for their shifts and one shop guy went down as well. I would have turned up to cover, but I didn't plan on going to work that day, so I oked someone else to take the car.

In any case, I am not too sure how this will affect me since I have been pretty upstanding so far and haven't done anything bad I couldn't fix to everybodies pleasure. I will know more on Wednesday when I get back to work. Egg shell walking time.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »
I'm in my last few weeks of college, and I just landed a job with a pretty big game company.  It's only a QA tester position, but I have my hopes.  I guess this will be my way of getting passed the "catch 22".

(Edit)
I forgot to mention before this I have been unemployed for like a year, last place i worked was a Sam Goody (store closed).

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »
Good job having a job coming out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2007, 01:31:52 PM »
I think I'm gonna get fired on Monday, and I probably would have if I went in on Friday.
There was a lot of sh!t going down at work and someone turned on a fan..... I happen be daring and threw the sh!t into the fan. Alot of people got splattered on friday, but I didn't go in. Monday I shall see where it all landed.

Now I wish I had fixed my computer so that I could access my resume, and get out of my job ASAP.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »

There was a lot of sh!t going down at work and someone turned on a fan..... I happen be daring and threw the sh!t into the fan. Alot of people got splattered on friday, but I didn't go in. Monday I shall see where it all landed.

Give 'em the pickle!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2007, 06:32:59 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

Give 'em the pickle!

Must be a Canadian phrase...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2007, 04:45:58 AM »

Originally posted by: WuTangTurtle

Originally posted by: IceCold

Give 'em the pickle!

Must be a Canadian phrase...
Give 'Em The Pickle

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2007, 06:25:10 AM »
so u give them a nice little dance?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2007, 05:57:36 AM »
Ok, so I didn't get fired, but I did get a double slap on the wrist, but not for anything related to last thursday.... its kinda wierd.

But, does anyone have a resume template/program that I could use. I need to update my resume, but its stored in a box that I can't find in the garage (I just moved) and the digital remake is on my other computer (currently disassembled and waiting for a new motherboard).

p.s. I don't have MS Word, so I need one for a program other than that.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »
Ok, I have a conundrum.  I just got back from my series of Interviews in San Diego.  It seems like a nice place and all that.  I got a call and they want to make me an offer and they are sending it to my e-mail.  If you do the maths with the salary calculators I like to make the average that people start at in my major.  Which would be $48,000 but, if you do the math and everything I need to get paid ~$77,269 to live the equivalent life as I would here in Nashville.  While my wage in San Diego would only increase to ~$54,000.  Which would mean in reality I would be accepting a job that would be the equivalent of accepting a job that would pay ~$33,544 .  Thats not mentioning the Boku of money it would cost to actually relocate from Nashville to San Diego.  That being said this is the only successful offer that I have on the table.  Everyone else is temporary contractors.  Though I don't know about essentially working for $16.77/HR professionally.  I mean I make more at my temporary part-time job.

Though the company itself looks like it might be interesting to work for.  I'm just not sure at the moment.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »
Are factoring tax or something? How does your $54k turn into 33.5k in reality? Is that for inflations or cost of living increases or something?

As far as relocating, you should ask the company if they are willing to cover relocation cost, they were willing to fly you across the country to do an interview and tour afterall.

Now back to the resume setup - help - I was asking for..... anyone?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2007, 07:49:54 AM »
Cost of living index is much higher in San Diego than in Nashville.  I have a friend who works out in LA.  He makes big bucks, but when you factor in the insane cost of living there, the numbers aren't as impressive.

Ceric, you'd have a give us a lot more information for us to be able to give you any advice.  What was your major?  What are you interested in doing professionally?  Can you find a job in that field in Nashville?  Is there growth potential within the company?  Could you use it as a professional stepping-stone (i.e. work there for a couple years to get good experience and then move on)?  Do you really want to move to San Diego?  Do you want to leave Nashville?  Aren't you married?  If so, another dozen or so questions pertain to your wife and her career.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2007, 08:00:08 AM »
Yeah, my next question was gonna be are you married? Cause if you're not, I hear the girl in SD are are worth the move, especially if you live near the beach.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »
Yeah I'm married.  Computer Science.  I like to do programming.  I've been trying for the past 6 months with no luck, everyone wants at least 2 years of hardcore experience for entry level programming job but I could do customer service...  Their is a new product on the horizon for the company that definitely has potential to spur growth.  I wouldn't mind leaving Nashville.  San Diego seems like a nice place the biggest cons are that well, I have to fly home to visit, the insane cost of living, moving itself, and might have to fiddle with the cars.  Moving just 2 hours away turned out to be a feat and a half when we did it at the beginning of the year.

My wife says she is willing to move but she would have to come after me and the job market around San Diego is suppose to be good.  On flipside this would definitely help my chances on getting that Staff job here at NWR.  The weather is also nice so I'm just not sure.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2007, 11:28:57 AM »
Wow, congrats on the offer, Ceric! Of all the choices to have to make, the "accept the job offer or not" decision is one of the nicer ones.  (I'm in a not-so-nice one: do I move back to Nebraska at the end of June even if I don't have a job yet? sigh...)

I think it's a great idea to – at least once in your life – live for an extended period (a few years at least) in a place that's very different from where you're from. Broaden your horizons, you know? I'm just finishing a two-year stay in California myself, and even though it made seeing my family difficult, I would do it all over again if I had the choice. Even if you'd eventually like to get back to Nashville, you can think of it as an adventure.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2007, 05:10:44 AM »
Welp, I came to a decision.  After thinking about it long and hard I just can't find enough good reasons to say yes.  It's just to much.  They would only pay $2000 in relocation (which just covers the truck and gas nothing else; they talked about open communication and  the like but my whole time there I don't remember anyone looking up from their computers they were like drones; tossed around tons of weird cult like buzzwords; I didn't interview/meet with the person who would be supervising me; San Diego would have a lot to offer if I was single but I'm not; I didn't meet anyone who wasn't a recruiter, HR manager, or Upper Management; The whole interviewing process was planned but the plan wasn't followed or implemented well and I know for a fact we weren't the first group of interviewees;  They offer lunch and Dinner as benefits and while we were there they fed us lunch but we didn't eat with any of the people who worked there and for us that had to stay till 9:00 at night they didn't just have us snag some food.  We were left on our own.  Which was a little weird because a few extra people isn't going to make that big of a difference;I don't know, even generally, what team I be working on.  It wasn't in the offer just the supervisor;  I would be making less disposable income then taking a job about anywhere else with the equivalent salary, adjusted for the towns pay rate;I have to keep living in a small space; Everytime I asked about what a typical day is they have it worked out so you pretty much have to work 8-6, or 45 hrs a week, and to compound on that since your eating there you probably work 45 minutes more then that a day.  Since your paid on a Salary this is in effect giving the company 5 free hours;  Weren't flexible on needing time off for things like most salary jobs, ex. I have a dentist appointment so I work 3 more hours the day before to make up for the time I'll be at the dentist, when I asked;  I personally don't believe they are going the right direction with their core product;  They say that the employees have a lot of say in the product and the like.  Though demoing it I didn't see any indication of such;  Didn't meet anyone that I thought I could do more then tolerate; Have $25,000 bonus after 7 months to be paid in $3,600 increments from the 7 to 14 months.  Thats just a little weird and makes me wonder if they really have hard time keeping people that long; Didn't meet anyone that wasn't a founder(CEO, Lead HR) or co-founder(Head Overall Engineer) that had been there longer then a Year.  They have been profittable for over 3 years now; No Parking;Wife had to find a new job.

As you can see the list is quite long.  While the Pros list was: Helped my chances of getting NWR Staff Writer Job;Nice Weather;Job in my field doing programming; Good experience.

It just wasn't enough.  I couldn't convince myself that was enough.  Which really stinks because it means back to the job search and praying that I find something somewhat local.

Update/Edit:
Welp to make things more complexed they called today to see if I had looked over the offer.  They asked what I thought and I told them that the relocation was woefully low for coming from Tennesse, we discussed some of the different problems I had with their current philosophies, discussed my issue with not being able to have a house, also not being able to talk with someone who is in a similar position as me and my supervisor.

He's going to talk with his manager see about upping relocation and allowing me to talk with someone with a similar position and my supervisor.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2007, 09:04:27 AM »
Welp I got to talk with people and we did some hassling but I'm accepting the job so I'll be moving to San Diego by July 16, my first day.  Irony struck when I finally decided to take this job even though it be a big relo, long hour, and hardwork two people called saying that they had positions that they would like to interview me for locally.  Go figure.  I just wonder where they were the last 6 months I've been actively pursuing a job.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2007, 03:49:54 PM »
Welcome to CA; please leave your brain at the door, you won't be needing it.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2007, 02:49:24 AM »
I'll need it for work.  Though I don't physically know anyone there.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2007, 07:26:47 AM »
So I've decided to get a new job. My friend want me to join the union and work construction with him. I would be getting paid roughly the same starting out, but I would quickly escalate in pay as time goes on, much quicker than where I am working now. Now I don't have anything against working construction, but I honestly feel like I may be smart to work a life of physical labor, and would much prefer a job with a desk and a computer with an internet connection. However I really need to make more money, and its time to step up or forever be miserable and broke.

I've got 2 and 1/2 scenarios that I could go through right now, and want all of your opinions.

Scenario 1:
I could finish updating my resume, get crossed trained in the various departments around me while hoping that I don't still get fired in the meantime. Put my resume out in the wild and hope a good one bites. I would ofcourse have to wait it out, with no guarantees of anything positive coming out of it, and I still think of myself as being on the chopping block, even if they have no immediate plans of letting me go.

Scenario 2:
I take the construction job with my friend, I get up early in the morning(which I sometimes do already), and my day is over at 2pm. A year down the line I get atleast a $5 raise and the same happens every year for the following 3 years. I take an apprenticeship class one sunday a month for the next 4 years, and then I really start making  lots of money.

Scenario 2.5: On top of the construction job, I keep my current job(right now I start at 1pm) for a while and scale it back to part time(4pm - 10pm). I would only do this until I either can't handle both jobs, or I decide that the construction job is gonna work out and I'm making enough money with only one job.

The thing with scenario's 1 & 2.5 is that I really wanna screw my boss over and leave him with an all new crew so that he has to train everyone all over again, and realise how good he had it with us working there for as long as we have. One person quit about 2 months ago, and then the Sh!t hit the fan because of the supervisor of another department. Because of that another person quit(last day this friday), and me and my shift leader(we have been planning a simultaneous defection for quite sometime) decided the time is right to make it happen. He is waiting on confirmation from 1 of 2 different jobs and he will be out the door ASAP. All I have to do is say yes to scenario 2/2.5 and I start within the next 30 days.

Does it sound like a good plan(2, 2.5), or should I just wait it out(1)?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2007, 07:54:59 AM »
I keep honing your resume. For temporary work 2 and 2.5 sound ok.  I've heard mix about construction as a longterm career though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2007, 08:07:22 AM »
If I do just 2, it will allow me to go back to school and work on some things I've been meaning to to around to, like getting a real estate, notary and appraisals license. I would honestly rather work at a bank or something, and do something that involves financials, like a loan officer. I think I work good under an incentive program, like commission, its very motivating to know that you control how much you can make.