Author Topic: Nintendo Announces Geist for GameCube  (Read 3046 times)

Offline NewsBot

• News Posting Robot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo Announces Geist for GameCube
« on: May 13, 2003, 10:54:56 AM »
Developed in conjunction with n-Space, Geist allows you to possess characters to use their abilities.

NINTENDO 'POSSESSES' N-SPACE TO DEVELOP GEIST

Exclusive Game for Nintendo GameCube Features Ability to 'Possess' Game Characters  

REDMOND, Wash., May 13, 2003 – Boosting its exclusive Nintendo GameCubeâ„¢  library, Nintendo of America Inc. today announces a development collaboration on the new game Geist with n-Space, Inc., a Florida-based video game developer.  Based on an original concept by n-Space, the game will be developed by n-Space with creative and technical input from Nintendo and will be published by Nintendo.

Geist leads players through the game in a first-person perspective, providing the unique ability to 'possess' other characters in the game.  As a ghost or Geist, players can advance through the game by virtually entering the bodies of other characters, taking advantage of their physical and mental abilities.  Combining a mixture of action and stealth styles of game play, Geist adds an enthralling new mixture to the first-person genre.

"This collaboration with n-Space is another step we're taking to expand our global development resources as we continue to make games that appeal to all gaming audiences," says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc.  "Geist will provide players with a truly innovative experience only available on the Nintendo GameCube."

Geist marks the first title n-Space has developed exclusively for Nintendo GameCube.  Founded in 1994, n-Space has developed several million unit-selling games, such as Duke Nukem: Time To Kill, and demonstrates a strong understanding of immersive game play and action.

According to Erick S. Dyke, n-Space president, "This agreement is a milestone for n-Space, and we're pleased to offer this innovative game title exclusively on Nintendo GameCube."

Additional details regarding Geist will be available at the E3 Expo 2003, May 14-16 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 11:14:04 AM »
Does anyone know what the developer, n-Space, has made before this?  Can we expect good things from this Geist?
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
RE: Nintendo Announces Geist for GameCube
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 11:21:02 AM »
n-Space, Inc., headquartered in sunny Orlando, Florida, designs and develops innovative and technically-sophisticated video games for console video game systems. Founded in 1994, n-Space, Inc. has developed several million-selling video games such as Duke Nukem: Time To Kill, Rugrats: Search for Reptar, and others.  n-Space is represented by Interactive Studio Management.

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 11:27:19 AM »
Yeah, I just checked.  Their previous games include:
  Mary-Kate & Ashley: Sweet Sixteen (2002)
  Mary-Kate & Ashley: Crush Course (2001)
  Danger Girl (2000)
  Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes (2000)
  Mary-Kate & Ashley: Magical Mystery Mall (2000)
  Die Hard Trilogy 2 (2000)
  Rugrats Studio Tour (2000)
  Duke Nukem: Time To Kill (1998)
  Rugrats: Search for Reptar (1998)
  Bug Riders (1998)
  Tigershark (1997)  

In short, a developer for hire-they make games from properties licensed by larger publishers.
...Which makes me hope Nintendo's not letting this one out the gates until it's good.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 11:35:29 AM »
Well it has a really good chance of being good. Since this is n-Space's own property. (The first property they made for themselves it looks.) And the fact that Nintendo itself is publishing the title give a little hope for the title.

Well just wait until there is more information on this project. It sounds like a good game. (And a little bit like Kameo, if just a bit.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 11:37:04 AM »
Omikron?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 11:41:23 AM »
These guys make Mary-Kate and Ashley games?!  Okay I'm getting just a wee bit worried.  Their resume reads like a who's who of crappy licensed games.  I really hope they've learned a lot from Nintendo on how to make good games.

Offline aycr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 01:41:47 PM »
For the uninformed: Click here for screens and information on new Nintendo games. Click OK on the prompt.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 02:19:07 PM »
aycr, you are a GOD for giving us that link!
Well, maybe not a god... a pretty cool guy at least.

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 02:35:00 PM »
aycr YOUS ARE TEH GOD!!!!!!!

I will sleep very happy tonight.

I've got say, Zelda: Four Swords GCN looks so damn good, Tetra's whatever problably won't do good because the name. That exclusive FPS looks very good, I am praying that it will bring back memories of the N64 exclusive FPS times. Even though the developer doesn't have a very good track record, there is almost always a developer that comes out of nowhere and makes a sweet ass game. Perhaps it's the crew that finally got to design something they wanted, perhaps a new team is formed, I dunno, but whatver it is, I hope it's the case. I wise F ZERO had LAN, but oh well, still looks awesome and as for Star Fox, the screenshots look random because some look really good and other's look not so good and the interface changes alot, almost like they have new shots mixed with old. I really hope it turns out good. Star Fox is one of my favorite franchises and I have yet to see the SF I know and love from the SNES and 64 days. As for the remaining games, it's all looking good. I was really hoping for Super Mario 128, but doesn't look like it.

Again, thanks for the link aycr!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 02:43:20 PM »
"as for Star Fox, the screenshots look random because some look really good and other's look not so good and the interface changes alot, almost like they have new shots mixed with old. I really hope it turns out good."

Yeah I noticed that too.  Some of the shots look great and others look terrible.  Also every shot is in a city (Corneria I assume) and I would like to see some shots of outer space combat.  I don't want every mission to be land based.  That would suck.  Hopefully Namco realizes that we don't have to have the tank in every level.  So far I'm rather unimpressed.  The game also looks more like an army combat game instead of space shooter.  Please may Namco prove me wrong.