Author Topic: GC Controllers Won't Work on Rev Games  (Read 18023 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:GC Controllers Won't Work on Rev Games
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2006, 07:01:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Shecky

What good is the Virtual Console without it?

NES games.

"Revmote" + 90 degree rotation to the left = stylized NES controller (with extra buttons).

Yeah, you'd probably want something for Super NES games and N64 games but a big chunk of the library will be fine without any shell, if for some reason one isn't packed in.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: GC Controllers Won't Work on Rev Games
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2006, 07:14:40 PM »

Do we have to have an uber controller with six face buttons and four shoulder buttons?

No.

Why not? Nintendo should go all out with this thing. The great thing about the shell is that Nintendo doesn't have to comromise for the sake of simplicity with the shell (or compromise for the sake of functionality with the remote.)

I'm imagining a face button layout similiar to the genesis, except with a being the only large button, and b being above a instead of to the right. Man, can you imagine if Nintendo suddenly had the ultimate 2d fighting game controller?

I always thought the question was whether or not it would be included with extra controllers. (My guess is that it's not going to be... your going to have to buy the analog stick and shell separately... it's the new memory card!)

That's my guess as well. If Nintendo sold remotes seperatley for $30 a piece, and sold 2-in-one packs containg one nunchaku and one shell for $10 a piece, would that be so bad?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:GC Controllers Won't Work on Rev Games
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2006, 08:15:16 PM »
I'd like the shell to be like a Wavebird in shape, but the button layout should be different. It should be a SNES diamond-style layout BUT on the top right of the diamond there should be another button. Like this..

Then, there would be a Z button at the top like the Wavebird, except it would be made a lot better (easier to push, more comfortable to rest finger on etc)

So to play NES games, you can use the NRC or the shell (left buttons). To play SNES games, you would use the normal diamond layout and the shoulder buttons of the shell.

To play N64 games, you have A&B as the left buttons, then on the right you have three others. These would be C-left, right and down. C-up would be the Z button.

GameCube games can also be played.

Finally, I would replace the C-Stick with an analogue stick and upgrade the D-Pad.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2006, 08:49:53 PM »

To play N64 games, you have A&B as the left buttons, then on the right you have three others. These would be C-left, right and down. C-up would be the Z button.

That wouldn't very well with fpses....
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2006, 06:29:13 AM »
I think the shell should be designed as the ideal controller.  To me the ideal controller should be suitable for virtually every console game ever made with virtually no compromises.  This would exclude titles that use lightguns or special controllers and such.  Such a controller would include:

-6 digital face buttons arranged uniformly in the classic Street Fighter setup. This is a must for N64 games.  One advantage is that even the odd Cube layout works here because that "shape" is hidden within the 6 buttons.  Imagine the bottom buttons were labled A, B, C and the top were X, Y, Z like the 6-button Genesis controller.  A, B, C & Y would make up the Cube button layout.

-twin analog sticks in the same layout as the Cube controller.  I would make them both like the "main" analog stick.  I found the c-stick lacking.  Ideally if this was supposed to be universal the sticks should "click" like the dual shock and Xbox controllers but for just Nintendo games that feature is optional.  I'd include it anyway for easy ports.

-d-pad.  Similar location to the Cube one only it would be big and useful.  This isn't perfect for d-pad games but you're kind of stuck with this or the analog stick in the "main" position.  The idea in my head looks a lot like the Saturn 3D Pad.  I've never used that controller but the d-pad looks pretty useable.  The Cube controller is small and the d-pad is small and I think if both were made bigger the d-pad would be much easier to use.

-L&R digital shoulder buttons.  SNES and N64 games need digital shoulder buttons.  You can't push analog buttons quick enough and some games need that quick response.  Plus there's the pesky Z-button on the Cube which can be handled here.

-L&R analog triggers.  Ideally you need both the digital and the analog shoulder buttons.  The Cube had both so why not the shell?  Personally I would make them lower down and more like triggers like the Dreamcast shoulder buttons.  I would add the digitial "click" for Cube compatibility.  Something like the Cube would probably work fine too.  This also helps for the PS3/X360 ports because both of those controllers have four shoulder buttons.  I don't care much for that design but I think it's important to provide as much flexibility as possible.

-Start & select.  The NES and SNES have both so let's include both.  The competition has two "admin buttons" as well so it's good for ports.

One thing I always thought would be a good idea for a "universal" controller is motion control either inside the controller or a slot like the N64 controller and a motion control "pack" can be inserted in.  Well that's what the remote is so it works.  The remote is going to stick out of the top so the shell has to be bottom heavy to distribute the weight.

I can't think of any game that uses the standard controller for a Nintendo system that wouldn't work on this setup (well aside from VB or DS games of course).  In fact I think this would work for almost every console except the Intellivision.  Naturally the buttons are mapable so if I want A to be B I can even if the game itself doesn't let me.  That fixes stuff like the Mega Man Anniversary Collection problem.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2006, 09:26:45 AM »
Of course. Everything should be designed to be the ideal representation of its class. The problem is actually doing that.

But yes, I agree that all  buttons should be remappable. I'd hate having to use two buttons that are next to each other (GBA's A and B) as opposed to in a line (SNES's Y and B) for NES games.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2006, 09:50:09 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking for the shell:

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2006, 11:11:16 PM »
Your button labels are confusing as hell. Am I pushing X or Y?

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2006, 11:18:33 PM »
yeah, I know. Depends on the system. With cube games, x is c-left and y is c-down. With SNES games, x is c-up, and y is c-left.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2006, 05:49:15 AM »
I'm able to figure that out but most people will just give you a confused look if you hand them such a controller.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2006, 07:30:01 AM »
Are there any shoulder buttons on wandering's design?  Looking at how little of the remote is poking out that looks like a ridiculously large controller.