Author Topic: The PSP has caught the adult eye  (Read 3300 times)

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The PSP has caught the adult eye
« on: March 22, 2005, 08:30:28 AM »
I was heading to the electronics section at work the other day, while two of my fellow work buddies come up to me and say "Have you seen the PSPs we got in? Im definetly going to buy one thursday." I asked them why out of interest and they stated how they loved the graphics, the movie and music option, the slim look, and the games at launch(mainly for them NFS Rivals.) Which suddenly hit me: The PSP has perfectly appealled to the average adult in general. These were people who normally seem to care less about games and more about sports that have been lured easily by Sony's mature look. My original theory was that because the PSP was a mature system, it would run into problems attracting the right addiance, but the straegy is working wounderfully for them.  
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: The PSP has caught the adult eye
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 08:57:34 AM »
Once they figure out that it doesn't play CDs, DVDs or PS2 games their interest will quickly fade. A coworker no longer wanted a PSP after I explained to him that you can only watch your movies from memsticks and that you can't burn UMDs.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
RE:The PSP has caught the adult eye
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 09:16:54 AM »
Yeah that's what so sad, when I read reviews on it people assume that you're able to play PS2 games (which in turn also means PS1 games), DVDs and CDs.  But what can we say, we tried and they'll have to learn from their mistakes.  When they find that out maybe next time they won't be so stupid on their purchases, especially when it's 250$ for what I think is crap.  Also they think, like KDR said, that they'd be able to make their own UMD (what the hell is up with all these initials!!! I'M SICK OF IT!! At least Nintendo's are carts or whatever they're called) they quickly are all "What's the point!?  I don't want to spend 250$ plus 50$ and then 150$ for stuff that I'll only use on the road!"  Oh well, life sucks for everyone at some point.

edit:  Attempted to fix all grammatical errors, but like in The Adventure of Link, "I am error."
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 11:17:49 AM »
is the PSP outselling the DS right now?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 01:33:38 PM »
Once they figure out that it doesn't play CDs, DVDs or PS2 games their interest will quickly fade. A coworker no longer wanted a PSP after I explained to him that you can only watch your movies from memsticks and that you can't burn UMDs.

That is what happened to another employee of mine that i forgot to mention. At first she thought that it could also play her original PS2 games as well, but i told her that she couldnt, and she lost interest. I did tell one of those people i mentioned before that he would have to buy seperate DVDs for the PSP, but that still didnt seem to bother him.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 01:34:05 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

watching movies from a memory stick is a pretty good idea. You can't say that it's not. What isnt a good idea is the selling of UMD movies by themselves. Downloading movies or TV shows and watching them on a handheld is really great (and affordable). My GBA Movie Player makes me wonder why anybody would buy the GBA video's. But the thing I have, and the play-yan will have u buy extra things to convert files to a card. The USB connects right to the PSP i think.

Sgt. Shivers: I haven't met anyone who thought the PSP would play PS2 games and anyone who does should really evaluate their life and consider the fact of how stupid they are. : )

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 02:43:52 PM »
Well tell that to the Yahoo! Merchandise people, the Electronic Boutique People, the GameFly people, the MSNBC.com people.  Everyone says that it's able to play movies and PS2 looking games.  They never specify that these are on different formats that can't be burned onto by an average person.  It's a form of false advertisement that isn't really lying, but not exactly telling the truth.  It's like saying the DS plays all the games the GBA can.  Then people will think they can play every GB game in the world.  But Nintendo didn't do that, they specifically said "ONLY GBA games and NO link play."  It's just something like this sneaky senator tactics that piss me off about the business world.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 03:24:03 PM »
Memory sticks for the PSP are expensive.  $160 at Best Buy for a 1 gig stick.  compare that to $180 for a 4 gig mini-ipod at amazon.com.  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 03:40:06 PM »
Compare that to a $150 DS.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline dack25

• I NEED TO READ THE AVATAR RULES PROBABLY
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 06:57:11 PM »
I seriously doubt most people are going to keep buying memory sticks when they cost almost more than the system.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 03:51:34 PM »
My brother thinks that it's a sound investment when he already has an ipod. He says that all he'd do is listen to music on it and watch movies that he'd download off the internet. But that's just the casuals' mindset. They look in to it for all the extra things where as people like us want to play games first and foremost; everything else is just a needless accessory.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 04:07:11 PM »
So he basicly defeated the entire purpose of getting a PSP and Sony's market plan. By not buying any games or UMD movies Sony partically makes no money off him. We besides the over priced memory sticks.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?