Author Topic: Nintendo DS Launch Details  (Read 34464 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE:Nintendo DS Launch Details
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2004, 04:39:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
It should be obvious that a Pokemon DS will be made...Just keep your SPs...
I know they will be making one.  What I meant was that there would be no way to transfer GBA pokemon to it because of lack of link up ability...thus we will be starting over again.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2004, 05:14:51 AM »
Given that it is possible to plug a GBA cart into the DS at the same time as a DS card, hopefully Nintendo figured some way to share data between the two slots at once.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS Launch Details
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2004, 06:24:34 AM »
That's what I was thinking, actually...

But even if not, we started over with Ruby/Sapphire...Didn't bother me in the least...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2004, 08:15:09 AM »
It was revealed that DS software can access the GBA port, why are you still speculating about that?

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2004, 08:22:40 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix

In effect, Nintendo DS already boasts a library of more than 550 games because it is compatible with single-player modes of games made for the world's best-selling video game system, Game Boy® Advance SP.

I'm a little bit dissapointed that Nintendo didn't set up a system where the DS can "emulate" the GBA's Link Cable over the wireless connection. Sure, maybe you could never do GBA-to-DS connections without the link port, but if those Warp Pipe guys can emulate the GameCube's System Link LAN connections over the internet, it shouldn't be too hard for Nintendo themselves to do something similar for DS-to-DS GBA-game linking.

And, seeing that Nintendo seems to be saying "30-100 feet" now for the wireless range (as opposed to just "100 feet, or 30 meters"), it's annoying that it's apparently not even compatible with Nintendo's recently-launched "Wireless Adaptors" for the GBA (which themselves are only compatible with select games).

Edit: But I guess combined with it not playing GBC games (which seems to be all-but-confirmed now), we'll just have to live with the DS "not being a perfect GBA replacement". It just seems like a shame to me, since it's so very close. I guess I'll just have to live with my not-yet-portable GameBoy Player.

From what I heard it's supposed to have a range of 30ft minimum and up to 100ft in open/clear areas.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2004, 08:31:51 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
It was revealed that DS software can access the GBA port, why are you still speculating about that?

There's a difference between having the ability to link the two games up and actually making it so...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2004, 12:23:19 PM »

kingvudu: I'd guess that means DS games. WiFi makes much more of a difference than DS/GBA.
wouldn't the difference between playing DS and GBA games be quite large considering two backlit screens for DS games and only one for GBA?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2004, 12:42:10 PM »
Any idea when they'll show us a closer look at the launch titels? Im dying to see the new AC
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2004, 12:49:29 PM »
October 7th man.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2004, 01:05:47 PM »
2 days before Halo 2....sweet Jesus!

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2004, 01:06:55 PM »
wait....im thinking november......wow im a dumbass.....

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2004, 01:41:12 PM »
You could've have just edited your first post and then you wouldn't look silly... ^_^

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2004, 04:08:34 PM »
MONKEY NEEDS MORE NANOSTRAY DETAILS. ;__;
Hey Shin'en have it ready for launch okay love ya' bye (SWEET KISS, RAWK)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2004, 04:53:46 AM »
I think it is important not to edit posts...sometimes we make mistakes.

If a messageboard "family" can't be forgiving who can.

*LOL*

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2004, 09:48:36 AM »
Monkey: Um, Shin'en's track record isn't the best, why are you that hyped up for a game by them?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2004, 10:31:37 AM »
Because he likes Iridion II! =D

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2004, 01:07:13 PM »

I think it is important not to edit posts...sometimes we make mistakes.

If a messageboard "family" can't be forgiving who can.

You do it like this:

2 days before Halo 2....sweet Jesus!

Edit:  wait....im thinking november......wow im a dumbass.....
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2004, 05:27:11 PM »

Monkey: Um, Shin'en's track record isn't the best, why are you that hyped up for a game by them?

Well I'm keeping an eye on Nanostray myself, Iridion 1 was technically great, but the gameplay wasn't hot.  They learned from that and made the gameplay much better in Iridion 2.  Now with Nanostray it looks like a technical marvel on the DS, and hopefully they've combined the technical marvel of Iridion 1 and the gameplay of Iridion 2 together, and increased on it as much as possible.

As far as the PSP battery size, I doubt it's going to be noticeably big at all, that's one thing that Sony has an upperhand over Nintendo is on rechargeable batteries, they've been creating them for decades and have tons of experience making/using them in their plethora of handheld electronic products.  That alone will probably make the PSP battery life respectable compared to the DS.  I'd be surprised if it's not atleast 60% as long as the DS battery life.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2004, 07:45:17 PM »
Now that Nintendo has drawn first blood, I guarantee sony will come out with almost the exact same figure... 6-10 hours.  We really won't have any idea until next spring though.  As one who sells camcorders for a living, if I have to explain to one more customer why Sony's battery figures on paper are soooo inflated, I may just shoot myself.
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2004, 10:54:29 PM »
joe: So because they went from bad to mediocre you're thinking they might reach good with Nanostray? I hope this time they realize that throwing in every feature you can find doesn't make a game better.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2004, 04:35:56 AM »
"As far as the PSP battery size, I doubt it's going to be noticeably big at all, that's one thing that Sony has an upperhand over Nintendo is on rechargeable batteries, they've been creating them for decades and have tons of experience making/using them in their plethora of handheld electronic products. That alone will probably make the PSP battery life respectable compared to the DS. I'd be surprised if it's not atleast 60% as long as the DS battery life. "
Are you talking about a battery specifically designed for the PSP?  If that's the case, how will consumers replace a 'special' battery?  Otherwise, I'm guessing both DS and PSP are using some kind of lithium battery- and in that case what is to stop the consumer from putting 'a superior' Sony battery in the DS? A sony battery will not destroy a DS b/c they're from rival companies...or will it ?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2004, 07:30:27 AM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
Now that Nintendo has drawn first blood, I guarantee sony will come out with almost the exact same figure... 6-10 hours.  We really won't have any idea until next spring though.  As one who sells camcorders for a living, if I have to explain to one more customer why Sony's battery figures on paper are soooo inflated, I may just shoot myself.
News - PSP Battery Life ‘Leaked’

you are a wise man, palezer0.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2004, 02:41:41 PM »

I'm going to say its an average of 7 hours per game, not 8...

or 8 at the max with the psp set on the lowest back-light setting and no music whatsoever
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2004, 04:25:36 PM »
That Popular Science article is a joke [or should be]. That's just E3 info. This is the most "concrete" info so far: Game Informer interview with Kaz Hirai, which was pulled from the site within a day.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2004, 05:28:42 PM »

If psp launches WITH advent children...

wow....that'd be killer...totally killer...they wouldn't need any good launch titles and they'd still sell by the truckload
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining