Author Topic: More developers drop the GCN: and so what?  (Read 15380 times)

Offline Sean

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
More developers drop the GCN: and so what?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2003, 06:26:23 PM »
No Limit...are you trying to say that Metroid Prime sold more copies in 2002 than GTA VC????  Where did you get this list?  If I'm misunderstanding you, let me know, but I'm PRETTY sure it got destroyed by GTA VC, at the very least, and Mario Sunshine, I think, probably sold more!  Is this just your personal favorites of last year?  If so, what does that prove about how Nintendo is doing?  Let me know.  I feel like I'm missing something here.

(Note, the November totals were 1.4 million GTA:VC copies vs. 363k copies of MP.  More here: November Sales Totals  
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline CitizenKaine

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2003, 08:42:04 PM »
Should Nintendo make a standard practice out of forcing people to develop for both their consoles, or neither, they would probably be brought up on anti-trust charges, and rightfully so.  They would in effect be using their might in one sector to try and dominate another. ::}  I love nintendo, but I dont think they should do that.

Kaine

Offline Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2003, 11:24:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell
Codemasters is still making GBA games, if im Nintendo i say screw you... and take away the GBA  option. Nintendo needs to realize that the GCN is also important. and support it like they do the GBA

If Nintendo start pulling tricks like that, a bunch of large companies will just say "screw you" and get together and make their own handheld....companies shouldn't HAVE to make games for the GameCube, if they just want to make games for the GBA.

Offline mrcivic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2003, 01:31:40 AM »
What's irritating about Codemasters cancelling all their GameCube support is that they never released a single GameCube game.
How on earth do they know their products would sell poorly? Sure GameCube isn't selling as good as the PS2, but it's going head to head with(if not beating) the xbox!

All they did was read that Sega's and EA's sports games weren't selling as good as those companies had hoped, and they jumped on the "Lets re-evaluate our GCN support" bandwagon!
It's just pathetic really.

And great post, by the way Gamebasher.
If a Cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about! - Troy McClure

Are you a PAL gamer? Then visit PALGN.com "For PAL gamers - By PAL gamers!"

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2003, 05:53:11 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers

Nintendo have the power with the GBA, they need to extortion companies like konami to make games for GC or there will be no more GBA license for them...
I can't beleive people are actually suggesting that Nintendo use EXTORTION tactics to get companies to develop for GC.  
Why not?  Nintendo used those tactics in the 80's to become dominant.  It certainly fits their character.

And yeah, Atari sued Nintendo under "anti-trust" laws, but Atari lost, Nintendo won.  So if Nintendo could extortion in the 80's and get away with it, why not use the same policy today?  It would boost the GameCube 1 library with more titles, allow Nintendo to smash X-box, and maybe put Nintendo back-on-top with the GameCube 2.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2003, 06:10:14 AM »
Nintendo probably has its reasons. And who cares about Codemasters anyway.

LZ 2005

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2003, 06:13:06 AM »
I just hope that EA is only giving up its support for the sports titles. I love NFS and 007. Also I hope Nintendo doesn't start using those "extortion" tactics or else(as earlier mentioned) these companies will just find another handheld.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2003, 06:23:42 AM »
Nintendo has only done it once, and that was to get Square on the boat. Im sure Nintendo will do the right thing, and as others said, theres already too many Nintendo exclusives for this year for me to buy.

And secondly, N-Gage will NEVER even tickle the palace of the GBA let alone challenges its throne. Nor will any other Handheld.
LZ 2005

Offline Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2003, 08:45:26 AM »

Originally posted by: CitizenKaine
Should Nintendo make a standard practice out of forcing people to develop for both their consoles, or neither, they would probably be brought up on anti-trust charges, and rightfully so.  They would in effect be using their might in one sector to try and dominate another. ::}  I love nintendo, but I dont think they should do that.

Kaine

And ya notice how all the nintendo fans rejoice when somebody proposes the idea now.... It seems the shoe is on the other foot.  

Offline willys85

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2003, 09:24:46 AM »
And secondly, N-Gage will NEVER even tickle the palace of the GBA let alone challenges its throne. Nor will any other Handheld.

1. in the video game industry there's always sorprises, remember how the PS defeat the N64, it could happen the exact thing with the GBA and the N-Gage, we have nothing for secure

2. Why my name doesn't appear in the Quote thing?? some guys have cuoted my and my name never shows!!!

3. Somebody knows if people of Nintendo reads this forums, maybe in our thoughts lays the future of Nintendo, if somebody reads about the extortion thing, maybe that person will say that idea to Nintendo executives and they do it! yeah

(3 one, Just dreaming about some impossible future)
So Your God fell in Love with the War, Well He is Only Your God

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2003, 10:50:48 AM »
What's a Dreamcast? Is that like Beta VCRs? 8-track tapes?
It doesn't really matter how "beautiful" or "great" a piece of equipment might be. What matters is how many units it sells, so it makes a lot of profit for its maker. Dreamcast Failed in that mission.

Ditto Nintendo64. If GameCube continues losing third-party/exclusive titles, it too will join the trash heap of history. Obviously I don't want that to happen, so YES I do care when I hear news about developers bailing ship

The N64 did quite well for Nintendo, financially.  Perhaps you should see some of the software sales...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2003, 03:08:01 PM »
Bah, wake me up when a decent company decides to drop GC support.
CodeMasters? Aww, boo hoo. No sloppy CM3 for us, and what's that? No Micro Machines? Which has lost the plot since V3 on PSOne?

IMO, the only good games to come from Codies in the past few years are the TOCA games and the 'Music' games on PSOne/PS2..

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2003, 06:56:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Marcus Arillius
You can only have so many kinds of a football game.  I said this in another thread, but when you've played one *insert name of sport here* game, you've played them all, in my opinion.   And whats the point of a new Madden title every year?  WASTE OF MONEY!

^^ but you get a fully updated roster with minor graphix/menu changes clearly worth how ever much games sell for where ever you live $100 au for me

please no-one take me seriously

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2003, 09:55:58 AM »

Nintendo is strong, and will stay strong, because they are the best videogame creators out there. And if the majority of the market can't realize that, it is their loss

i'm going to have to disagree with that statement.  if the majority of the market (meaning the consumers) can't realize that nintendo is missing out on lots of revenue.  while it's definately true that nintendo is in the top tier of developers out there certain consumers simply won't purchase a console if it doesn't have decent 3rd party support.  and while i agree with most of the stuff that's been said here, with the loss of 3rd parties (sega sports games and ea games in particular) it's just another defeat nintendo will have to get past.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2003, 11:29:56 AM »

Originally posted by: PIAC

Originally posted by: Marcus Arillius
You can only have so many kinds of a football game.  I said this in another thread, but when you've played one *insert name of sport here* game, you've played them all, in my opinion.   And whats the point of a new Madden title every year?  WASTE OF MONEY!

^^ but you get a fully updated roster with minor graphix/menu changes clearly worth how ever much games sell for where ever you live $100 au for me

please no-one take me seriously

minor graphical enhancements and "new" character models, in practically the same game...now I'm convinced.  I'm ready to throw my 50 dollars away  (this is to be taken jokingly, not offensively)

it was time for a change.