Author Topic: Silicon Knights.  (Read 32774 times)

Offline Tael

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2003, 05:35:24 PM »
All this talk about the yellow magick is interesting, in fact I'm starting to see the plot of Eternal Darkness differently now. Could it be that the ancient which the yellow magick "belongs to" used the characters of Eternal Darkness as pawns? Was it actually the voice of this unknown ancient that was luring Pious to the artifacts, in a plot to defeat all the other ancients? It could've been manipulating the rest of the characters to fight the other ancients against the ancients Pious summoned. With Mantorok dying, all four other ancients would be defeated, leaving this one unknown ancient completely unchallenged. Perhaps in the ending they didn't save humanity, but doomed it to be destroyed by this other ancient?

Edit: Scratch that idea, I read the epilogue again over on GameFAQs, and it mentions that it was Mantorok's plan to destroy the ancients.  

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2003, 06:01:45 PM »
wow thats tight that he responded......anyways what do u guys know about too human that gets u so interested?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline RockmanX

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2003, 06:01:54 PM »
I like that idea.  Like in the special ending it says (SPOILER) that all the gods killed themselves simultaneously.  Which leaves Mantorok, or another higher being to be at power.

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2003, 06:11:26 PM »
i didn't know he actually read these boards. if i'd known that, i would've said something actually constructive instead of retarded. oh well...
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.

Offline Tael

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2003, 06:40:51 PM »

Originally posted by: RockmanX
I like that idea.  Like in the special ending it says (SPOILER) that all the gods killed themselves simultaneously.  Which leaves Mantorok, or another higher being to be at power.
Yeah, but after reading the epilogue again I've discovered that I'd forgot what it says about the plan to kill the ancients. Read the edit on my post.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2003, 07:02:05 PM »
Geez If Denis reads this forum I wonder if Mr. Miyamoto does or anybody else from Nintendo.  lol.....I'm getting carried away.

Anyways truly great game Denis.  I just can't believe it hasn't sold more.  Truthfully I believe games like these only come every other generation.

Offline Mr. McBlack

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2003, 07:22:10 PM »
Wow...is this really *THE* Denis Dyack? Holy fscking sh1t!!!11

welp, props to you and the rest of the Silicon Knights on quite the ace game. Gamenikki loves you.
[Mr. McBlack:]
-America's FAVORITE GameNikki reviewer

Visit GameNikki.com The BEST gamesite with the letters "I", "G" and "N" in it.

Offline MorningStar

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2003, 08:38:48 PM »
Eternal Darkness was great but id have to say that the best chapter BY FAR was Maximillian Roivas' chapter...I loved that song too!

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2003, 08:59:38 PM »
Haha, so cool, Denis on these forums, make everyone feel so special!
If a sequel was to come, i expect some amazing humongous story hehe.
Well, hope E3 will get more people to look twice at Silicon Knights and what they are showing off!

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2003, 09:08:04 PM »
and he still hasnt answered, well, atleast he posted twice

make this an official thread so this can be the place where Denis occasionally answers questions
but dont make him answer too many questions, he should get back to developing the greatest game in the
world TOO HUMAN
LZ 2005

Offline Tael

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2003, 10:23:22 PM »
An interesting thing I noticed in Eternal Darkness:
Ulyaoth - 7 letters
Mantorok - 8 letters
Xel'lotath - 9 letters
Chattur'gha - 10 letters  

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2003, 02:56:06 AM »
ROOOIIIIIIIIGHT

Seriously, that might be intended, you never know.
What would you rather have first, Too Human, another ED, or whatever other game theyre developing?

I want TOO HUMAN SOOOO BAD.
LZ 2005

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2003, 04:38:47 AM »
I want Too Human, since they've been working on it for so long... I don't want it to turn into a Getaway or *shudder* a Daikatana. I also don't want it to turn into a Duke Nukem Forever... I've given up all hope of that game ever coming out.

But once Too Human is done... then I want them to get to work on ED's sequel, pronto. They've left too many loose threads in ED... I thought yellow magick was just neutral magick, but now Denis piqued my interest.

And since apparently Santa does exist after all, Mr. Dyack:

I'd also like you to keep subtitles as an option in all your games, at any cost. None of that "more cinematic without them" crap, please... I'm hearing-impaired, so that's a bad thing. The thought of Too Human going speech-only genuinely frightens me.

And to conclude, I'd just like to thank you and Silicon Knights for the wonderful game and experience that is Eternal Darkness. Keep it up, man, you've earned my respect.

BTW, I'm curious about that interview... in an ideal world, somebody would have released a transcript by now. *nudges Rick*
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2003, 08:40:24 AM »
Yeah I agree with you Paladin, they should have a transcript of that 33:33min interview. If its that long its gotta be revealing some great stuff.

And yes Too Human must be fabulous, but Im sure it wont turn into Duke Nukem Forever. While SK have worked long on that game, I think its on schedule and only takes so long because its so great. Im sure this games gonna rock everything away.
The longer they work on it the greater it gets, so take you time SK. This game I want more than any Zelda, be it Cel Shaded or 'Realistic'.

If Too Human is the slightest indication of ED, and considering Too Human has much more time put into it, It must be perfect.
And thinking this game actually takes around 80hours to beat, and offers high replay value (because of alternative gameplay) im sure to be spending like 200hours on this game. Maybe more

GIMME TOO HUUUMAN
LZ 2005

Offline bryanee

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2003, 10:30:14 AM »
wasnt too human originally planned for the psx? sorry but i dont know much about this game, any ideas on wot it is about? cheers lads for any info
That lady is all kinds of naked!!!!!

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2003, 10:36:58 AM »
Correct bryan

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2003, 10:43:36 AM »
Personally, I only had one real Problem with the game, because its so simple, yet would have made everything so much better.  THink of this, whichever path you choose, you can't use that gods majick.  That means with Xel, no sanity heal, with Ul, no majick stuff, chattug, no healing..  This would have made everything so much different each time you play >.<  Loved your game.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2003, 10:43:48 AM »
I love you, Dennis. If you wanna come to my house you can see my DENNIS SHRINE. Admission is...OK OK! I lied...it's free. ANYWAYS, whatever game you're releasing next, I will love it (assuming you have the same geniuses [perhaps genii?] working on it.) But I'll drop $50 for it guaranteed. I don't suppose, if you're still checkin in on us over here, that you could—oh i dunno—drop a HINT as to what the next game is its general plot and planned release date? That'd be REALLY cool if you did.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Reverse_Gecko

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2003, 12:50:34 PM »
Wow, never noticed yellow magic. Guess I'm not an obvservant person.

I agree that all gamemakes should put sbutiles for all important text. My two brothers are deaf, and I am sick of having to be with them every time they watch a cenimatic to tell them what people are saying(one of my few big complaints about halo).

And if you cant have text, then really really good lip syncing would work too, but not quite as well.

P.S. Watch out dennis, I might apply for a job at SK when I finish my game, if the dev studio I work for decides to do another xbox game.
------------------------------------------
GCN games I own: Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2, Timesplitters 2, Waverace, Luigis Mansion, Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Rogue Leader, Starfox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil, Res

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2003, 01:01:03 PM »
Yellow Magic? How come I didn't notice the meaning behind THAT before?
It was there on the walls blocking my path, it was there on the floors making me lose health, and, oh! There it is in the cut scenes warping Pious and Karim into the temple!

Another GOD? One that even the mighty (or dying) Mantorok fears? Holy Sh!t!
I think this might be related, but if you notice, the normal spell runes are also yellow, and they only turn red, green or blue when you align them with the Chatturgha, Xel'otath or Ulyath runes.

With all this talk about this newly dicovered magic source, and a possible new God,
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Redemption is coming for sure!!

And who are you Reverse_Gecko? Who do you work for? Are you a developer or something? Coool!
And Dennis, you guys at SK made Eternal Darkness one of the greatest games ever. It's great to see this level of depth and polish in a single game.  
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2003, 01:30:00 PM »
*Warning! Possible plot spoilers*
I just wanted to point out a thing or two I just remembered. The yellow magick was the alignment of the cursed scroll that was to be delivered to Emperor Charlemagne. Also, the relic that Pious used to lure humans as food to the guardian of that relic was called the the "hand of St. Jude". In Catholicism, St. Jude is the patron saint of hopeless cases. Very appropriate for such the seemingly hopeless destinies of the chosen one's in the plot. Oh yeah, one last thing. It's pretty obvious but I don't think anyone has mentioned this lil' secret yet. *whispers* Roivas spelled BACKWARDS...is SAVIOR!!!! Way to go on that one Dennis. You thought you could trick Berny, but we were to good for you.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2003, 02:08:52 PM »
Hey! Good going there Berny!
The four or five instances of the yellow magic used in the game can be used as spells for the next game!
And Savior? Geez, I don't think anyone ever saw that one. It's pretty coincidental for Alex Roivas to be the Savior of humanity.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2003, 03:38:16 PM »
I think it's pretty possible that the Yellow god was the force behind all of this...  instigating this in order to destroy some of the others.

But Denis, I am seriously honored to post in the same board as you.  After playing Eternal Darkness, I have a profound respect for you and your team.  I just want you to know that you are a god in my mind.  I cannot wait to see the next game you give us.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2003, 07:08:37 PM »
Not to boast or anything, but I noticed the "Savior" thing the first time I played.

Anyway, if you want something cool, keep an ear out for Mantorok's growls and voice throughout the game. It explained a lot of stuff for me, and I haven't seen the third ending yet. I'll get to work on that right soon.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2003, 07:13:15 PM »
what parts of the game? are the sounds on a level or are they an insanity effect?
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.