Author Topic: Wii U Demo Station Impressions (Stated on 10/17)  (Read 10787 times)

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Demo Station Impressions (Stated on 10/17)
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »
The touch level is OK.  Thought the Level in the Demo that really sold me on this is...

The  Black Betty music level.  I do enjoy that song and I enjoy they put a rhythm level to it.

HELL. YES.  I had a big ****-eating grin playing that level.   ;D

....my wife didn't know what the song was...

I have to say, I'm confused why they used Rayman as a demo.  Not to say that it didn't look and play great, but I'm surprised they didn't offer up a couple of the Nintendoland minigames.  The Rayman game just didn't utilize the touch screen in the same fashion I expect Nintendoland to.

I have to say the exact same thing.  I'd be glad for Rayman Legends to be one demo, but Nintendo are really missing out by not featuring a Nintendo Land demo station.  If their mission with the game was to do with Wii U what Wii Sports did for Wii (and there's really no chance of succeeding there since the games are more involved), then it would be a natural move to showcase the games in stores.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
Does anyone know if these demo stations have cropped up anywhere in Canada yet?
Haven't seen any personally.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 12:26:35 AM »
I went to target today and tried it out, sadly NOT A SINGLE PLAYABLE GAME. I looked and everything was not marked out so I can't try out.

Some people were around it and seemed interested but when no games were playable they thought it was broken and walked off. The kid actually tried to find a playable demo but nothing.

Way to go Nintendo have a new console and it can only play videos and not play ANY GAMES.

I thought the L/R buttons were supposed to be clicky like Gamecube/360 . Outside of not being to play ANYTHING i did like the feel of the controller and the design of the console.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 03:29:56 AM »
I live in Australia so I don't bother looking for demo units. We never get them.....

Offline coffeewithgames

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
    • Coffee with Games
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 02:30:35 AM »
I went to target today and tried it out, sadly NOT A SINGLE PLAYABLE GAME. I looked and everything was not marked out so I can't try out.

Some people were around it and seemed interested but when no games were playable they thought it was broken and walked off. The kid actually tried to find a playable demo but nothing.

Way to go Nintendo have a new console and it can only play videos and not play ANY GAMES.

I thought the L/R buttons were supposed to be clicky like Gamecube/360 . Outside of not being to play ANYTHING i did like the feel of the controller and the design of the console.

Wow, glad to know Target, at least of now, doesn't have a playable demo on it...so I don't attempt to make a trip there. It really doesn't make any sense to me, that they don't have a "demo" that will walk people through the features of the system and GamePad built into the stations.
Like a, "Want to see the features of the Wii U and GamePad? TOUCH HERE!" and it starts on a demo of Nintendo TVii, and other things like the touch/motion controls on the GamePad, the streaming features, etc....seriously, what have they been doing? It makes no sense to me.
Drinking coffee, playing games!
http://coffeewithgames.com/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 08:05:16 AM »
I agree.  What have they been doing?  People are getting a bad impression of a system you must play to understand according to everyone.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 08:19:13 AM »
I am not even sure if there are any places with these demo stations near where I live, I haven't checked yet. We have a Gamestop but I really hate going in there, it's in the same plaza as Walmart and I hate going near that evil place.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »
Well the demo units are connected to the internet, so Nintendo can upload new demos at anytime.

(Why does my iPod auto-capitalize "internet"?)
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »
Well the demo units are connected to the internet, so Nintendo can upload new demos at anytime.

(Why does my iPod auto-capitalize "internet"?)
Its a Proper name like Stephen or Susie
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »
Man my 14 seconds with the demo station at Best Buy was amazing! It was just like watching trailers on my TV, only I was inside a store and holding the controller! Why the Hell don't they have any playable games?!! Also, I hate to say it, but the controller is not incredibly comfortable to hold, or at least wasn't until I put my index fingers on the top L/R buttons and middle fingers on the lower ones.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
You know Austen brought that up.  Do people not regularly hold their controllers with top triggers covered by your index fingers and the bottom trigger covered by the middle fingers?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:22 PM »
You know Austen brought that up.  Do people not regularly hold their controllers with top triggers covered by your index fingers and the bottom trigger covered by the middle fingers?

Ceric, that is how I do it. I don't understand why others don't, it's the natural way to hold controllers.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 09:51:06 PM »
Well it felt like that was the way to hold it since the bottom triggers are much more pronounced than the top ones.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 10:39:30 PM »
I use my index fingers for both triggers and shoulder buttons. It's always what has been most comfortable to me.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 10:47:46 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't make sense in my brain to have four fingers on top of the controller. It really irks me when modern games require you to use both shoulder buttons in tandem. As much as people dump on the Wiimote, Nintendo was definitely on to something about standard controllers having too much **** on them and alienating people who aren't adapted.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:31 AM »
I actually don't put any of my fingers on the triggers until I need them. The reason is because I tend to tightly grip the controller (or anything, really) when it gets intense and I'd be afraid to press it at the wrong point.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »
I got the chance to try out the gamepad today on my way to work. I like it. Touchscreen was responsive. Buttons felt nice to use, as did the control sticks and d-pad. Surprisingly I actually like that the triggers are digital, and I'm the kind that uses only the index fingers for the triggers. Played a bit of the Rayman Legends demo, cool stuff. It felt lighter than I expected. EXCITE!

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »
So where are the NSMB U and Nintendo Land demos? Is Nintendo really waiting until after the Wii U launches to put out more retailer demos? Rayman Legends doesn't come out till next year.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
I'm not sure NSMBU is a good way to sell the system, given how similar it is to previous games. Nintendo Land's great, but is primarily a multiplayer game, which isn't really a good choice for a demo unit. You want something that uses the GamePad well in a single player context with a wide appeal, and I don't think they have anything better than Rayman for that right now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
Finally got the chance to hit demo stations last weekend. Very pleased so far.

Saturday, hit a best buy with my son (15). We tried everything there was to do in Rayman. Graphics are really, really nice. Bright and lots of detail. Game ran very smoothly, perfect framerate, no slowdowns.

We played the Black Betty music level a few times. Found that we could play the level at the same time, which was actually pretty fun and helpful. If one of us missed bashing a block or whatever, the other would likely do it, so we failed the level less. Checkpoints are generous too.

The Co-Op level was really, really fun for us. We switched out who was using the gamepad.screen and who was using the wiimote+nunchuk, so we did the level twice over. We both had a great time doing either part and really got into the co-op groove, talking each other through the level as we went. In all, we spent about half an hour with the system.

Hit a Gamestop on Sunday with my youngest daughter (9). We tried the Black Betty level only. My daughter did not get the hang of the level as easily as my son and I did and she put it down about 3/4 of the way through, but she did enjoy herself (she said). I think the gamepad is a little bit big for her smaller hands. She did not use the cue, for example, to press and hold down the right shoulder button while using the left stick to run. She just used the left stick. I think she wa having trouble doing both things at once because of the size of the gamepad, if that makes sense. Turns out, it was not required to do the level. You could just "walk" the level instead of running, so it was OK.

Both kids really liked Rayman and wanted me to pick it up right away with the system. I had to break it to them that the game does not come out for awhile. Disappoint Get!

As for the gamepad itself, it felt good to me in general. The touchscreen looked good and was touch-responsive, better than DS and 3DS. It is a big beast and it may take a little time to adjust to the positions of the right stick in relation to the a, b, x and y buttons and also the shoulder buttons. I am used to the PS3 setup. But it sure is whiz-bang neato and I look forward to spending many, many more hours with it.

That said, it is still hard to get a sense of the gamepad's weight and how comfortable it is because the gamepads in the stores are tethered by tightly wound coil-cords. Those cords pulled the gamepad hard no matter how close to the TV I got. So, my sense is that the gamepad will actually feel much lighter and easier to manipulate once I have it in my home beginning on Sunday.

Oui, Mon Gars!