Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 242747 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #575 on: November 18, 2011, 10:12:57 PM »
broodwars...may I ask whereabout in Central FL you are?

The Lake Mary area, IIRC a good 20-30 or so miles N. of Orlando.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:15:30 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 19, 2011, 03:34:46 AM »
And yet you are a fan of Utah Jazz? That's about as far from Florida as you can get. ;)
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 19, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »
And yet you are a fan of Utah Jazz? That's about as far from Florida as you can get. ;)

You think Pennsylvania is a big sports state?  Try growing up in Salt Lake City Utah, where at least when I was a kid you were either a fan of the Jazz or you just didn't live there.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 19, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
Ah, I'm in Melbourne, about 45 minutes east-southeast of Orlando. Thought maybe we were secret neighbors.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 22, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »
Looks like Gamestop is getting ready to make OnLive obsolete using console games (and probably PC games too)
But they still require you to buy the console hardware to play your purchased software.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-11-21-gamestops-game-slinging-service-ramps-up

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 05, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »
I was at Gamestop assembling a wishlist for Gamecube games and someone came in asking for that Chuck Norris game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKpdxjHamI
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 05, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
Most people don't realize it, but Chuck Norris is about 70 years old. He looks good and moves well for his age.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 05, 2011, 06:23:33 PM »
Chuck Norris never really looked that great, nor moved that well. If it weren't for just how humorously bad his entire career has been, no one would even care about him.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 07, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
SHUTUP ABOUT CHUCK NORRIS HE IS WALKER TEXAS RANGER

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 07, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
Point and case.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #585 on: December 07, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
Point and case.

For ShyGuy's post.

He is still a badass for being 71.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 09, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
No, the point was that he never was a badass. Has anyone ever actually watched Walker? It's a laughably bad show. That's where the humor in the Chuck Norris meme comes from. He's presented as a badass, while actually being about as lame as possible. ;)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 09, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »
No, the point was that he never was a badass. Has anyone ever actually watched Walker? It's a laughably bad show. That's where the humor in the Chuck Norris meme comes from. He's presented as a badass, while actually being about as lame as possible. ;)

There is no humor left in it.  They were about 3 years late with the joke.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 09, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
That's why just like Sly and company, Chuck Norris has become Expendable Too

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 09, 2011, 09:07:55 PM »
The best thing about Walker: Texas Ranger (besides Ricky Bobby naming his kids Walker and Texas Ranger) is the clip that they kept showing on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, once NBC got the rights to the show, where Haley Joel Osment says "they told me I have AIDs."
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 09, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
I totally forgot about that. The Walker Texas Ranger Lever was a really great running gag on Conan for a while there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 09, 2011, 10:09:38 PM »

So in other words, he is like Reggie?
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 22, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »
My brother just received RAGE and Dead Island as holiday gifts. Both were purchased several weeks ago at GameStop. Because they were PC titles, they only had the one display copy, hence the games are open but were sold as "brand new". Never mind that though. The real problem here is that both games require activation on Steam. Unfortunately for my brother, Dead Island's key has already been activated and Rage has had it's activation code sticker carefully removed from the inside of the case. It's pretty obvious that one of GameStop's booger-picking employees stole the codes to activate and download for themselves (or even sell?). What's more, the store won't replace the games. They were gifts and thus have no receipts to prove that they were purchased at GameStop. They will only give store credit for "new and unopened" games if no receipt is present. My brother is trying to go through Steam and Bethesda's customer service now instead.

His friends should have known better than to buy opened (used!) products. They should have known better than to buy anything from that hellhole of corruption that is GameStop. They should have known to buy the games on Amazon or right through Steam at half the price. Still, the root of the cancer is GameStop itself. Not only are their open-box practices deceptive and downright exploitative, but obviously promotes internal theft. Their store policies also neatly cover up for any such problems, too.

I told my brother that GameStop was lucky it wasn't me getting fucked over. Hell, they're lucky I wasn't with him when he tried to swap the items out. I would not have taken that ****, at all. Not from a bunch of high-school rejects making minimum wage.

**** you, GameStop

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 22, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »
The fact the games are opened is inexcusable enough in its own right, but I think it would be hard for even TJ Spyke to try to justify Gamestop selling games with the activation codes already redeemed or removed.
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 23, 2011, 01:00:34 AM »
Actually that might not be an GS employee trick but Steam's.  Had two retail copies (still sealed) and got the same message (already active) and had to go through Steam to get it fixed.  Hackers can break Steam with key generators and theres a couple of Youtube videos of them doing just that.  Though he had two copies of different games so the chances are pretty damn nill that it was just an hack job.

As for getting it resolve, without an receipt you're screwed, Steam won't even bother replying back.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 23, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
It certainly isn't a Steam trick when the actually sticker container the CD key has been carefully removed from the inner case from a an already opened game.

You're right though that Steam can fall prey to hackers, and innocents get caught in the crossfire. That's always been true fro any system that verifies things like CD keys though. Given the surrounding evidence though, I'm willing to bet that it was just outright taken by an employee.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 27, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
Update. Both games are now downloaded and linked on Steam. It took less than a week to get both games straightened out, and that's even with the holiday weekend.

Steam customer service just wanted to see a scan of the support ticket number written beside the CD key.

Bethesda wanted a photograph of the entire game contents, and then a scan of the original purchase receipt. Luckily my brother's friend was able to print out a copy of the gift's receipt through his bank's online login.

GameStop could really learn a lot from these guys in terms of customer service.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 27, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
Update. Both games are now downloaded and linked on Steam. It took less than a week to get both games straightened out, and that's even with the holiday weekend.

Steam customer service just wanted to see a scan of the support ticket number written beside the CD key.

Bethesda wanted a photograph of the entire game contents, and then a scan of the original purchase receipt. Luckily my brother's friend was able to print out a copy of the gift's receipt through his bank's online login.

GameStop could really learn a lot from these guys in terms of customer service.

My wife just asked me yesterday why I'd be willing to purchase something I don't have a physical copy of.  And you just nailed it on the head.  Gamestop once tried to sell me an opened copy of a game at a new price (it wasn't just a opened case that was in good condition, the case was tattered and ripped), and I never went back.  You just don't do that.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 27, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
Was Gamestop always as bad as they are now? Or did this just come about in recent years with them having absorbed or annihilated their competitors and now they feel like they can be assholes just becasue they have a near monopoly? There used to be other places like Babbages and EB Games which would have been their competition, but Babbages is entirely gone, and EB exists only as a puppet which is owned by Gamestop. I can't think of anything else... oh wait, there was also Funcoland at one time. All that **** is gone now. There's still the main retailers like Walmart and so forth, but they don't specialize in video games and can't offer the same amount of selection.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 27, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
I can't say with any certainty whether or not GameStop was always as bad as they are now. I had never seen one until it bought out a local Electronics Boutique. The change in business practices was quickly noticeable, even while many of the same employees existed afterward.

The thing is, I don't think that GameStop really offers all that much better of a selection than your mainline department stores do. Perhaps you might find a few older titles, or the odd obscure game, but for the most part they're the same... if not worse. GameStop tries to create an artificial scarcity with much of its stock so as to bolster pre-orders and the illusionary bargain that is the used games section.