Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 242747 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have like $60 or $70 store credit at GameStop...just no will to go there.

Better use it before it expires/Gamestop goes out of business. You might not think that could happen, but there used to be a place called Babbages where that ALMOST happened to me.

Didn't Babbages get eaten by Gamestop?

Yeah, but the store credit didn't transfer during that merger so anyone who had store credit at babbages was effed. Stuff like that happens pretty quick. I'm not saying it will happen, but tomorrow you might hear an announcement that Gamestop is filing for bankruptcy, or is being bought out by so and so. If that happens then all your credits, warranties, etc. will become void.
is your sanity...

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have like $60 or $70 store credit at GameStop...just no will to go there.

Better use it before it expires/Gamestop goes out of business. You might not think that could happen, but there used to be a place called Babbages where that ALMOST happened to me.

Didn't Babbages get eaten by Gamestop?

Yeah, but the store credit didn't transfer during that merger so anyone who had store credit at babbages was effed. Stuff like that happens pretty quick. I'm not saying it will happen, but tomorrow you might hear an announcement that Gamestop is filing for bankruptcy, or is being bought out by so and so. If that happens then all your credits, warranties, etc. will become void.

Yeah, that's why I used all of my store credit to finance my Gamecube purchases.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 10, 2010, 11:49:11 PM »
I have $67 there, I wish I could just trade it for cash.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2010, 12:40:53 AM »
I have $67 there, I wish I could just trade it for cash.

One thing you could do is use that credit to get stuff, and then turn around and sell that stuff on ebay or something for cash. You probably won't get the full $67 that way (in fact it would be very unlikely if you did), but you would get some cash.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2010, 04:10:14 AM »
Babbages, FuncoLand, EB Games, and Software Etc. were all bought out by GameStop.

EB Games was the best one of them all. Their games weren't overpriced, actually in good condition, and they ddn't have lame store policies.

I thought Funcoland was the original chain and then they changed their name to GameStop and that was when the madness started.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »
I liked Rhino, a Southeast chain that hired knowledgeable local gaming enthusiasts.  When they were bought up by GameStop, there was a definite degree of change in the way the employees acted and recommended products, and I took it as one sign of how GameStop corporate policy is bad for gamers similar to me.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
Gamestop employees are bullies that try to strong arm customers into buying warranties, player guides, and other garbage they don't want or need.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2010, 11:01:27 PM »
Gamestop employees are bullies that try to strong arm customers into buying warranties, player guides, and other garbage they don't want or need.

Just like Best Buy, Radio Shack, and any other number of tech-related stores. Morons that are only told to sell warranties!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 12, 2010, 07:00:02 AM »
If I were to buy an RROD prone system like the 360 then getting a warranty thing might be worthwhile. But I only buy Nintendo stuff, and I've never once had a hardware failure. That's counting back to the original NES!
is your sanity...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 12, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »

No, actually, they're paid employees who are making a living or just maintenance money at a job where they are required by their employer to offer those things. Stop making it so personal.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »
It really depends on where you go.

Besides, if you consider asking if you want a warranty bullying customers, there's something a bit wrong.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »
The guy at my GameStop must not care about keeping his job then, because he didn't even ask if I wanted to preorder Monster Hunter when I picked up the demo and another game. It made me think GameStop wasn't so bad, until about a minute later when I learned that the three GameStops in my area had received a combined one copy of Sonic Classics Collection for DS, which was at one of the other stores and had already been purchased.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 12, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

No, actually, they're paid employees who are making a living or just maintenance money at a job where they are required by their employer to offer those things. Stop making it so personal.

They get to choose whether or not to accept a job offer. If they had any shred of dignity they wouldn't do things such as this just to keep such a meager job.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »

Besides, if you consider asking if you want a warranty bullying customers, there's something a bit wrong.

I know what you're saying, but in my experience they do a bit more than just ask if you want it. I've felt harassed when I went there, because they wouldn't take a no for an answer and just kept hassling me about it.
is your sanity...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »

I know what you're saying, but in my experience they do a bit more than just ask if you want it. I've felt harassed when I went there, because they wouldn't take a no for an answer and just kept hassling me about it.

They're like those dicks in anti-smoking/pot/drug ads that try to peer pressure **** on to you;
"c'mon man, all you gotta do is $5 down on this game to pre-order it and you'll get a special code to unlock the most badass weapon in the game! You don't wanna be a LOSER do ya!?"

lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:01:01 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2010, 08:27:46 PM »
I've had the same experience several times after saying no to a preorder or membership I've gotten whining or more pressure which to me is rude and uncalled for.  The last time I was in a gamestop was to pick up cheap PS2 games I didn't have a member's card and was asked if I wanted one, I was going abroad for school in about a month so really didn't want to spend the extra money.  I politely told the woman no but she continued to prod and at this point had stopped ringing up my purchases.  I told her I wasn't interested and she continued telling me how it's "stupid" not to take the discount and if I came back in here without it I would be sorry, so I told her "if I ever did come back in here I would be sorry" and left, I have no plans to return to a gamestop anytime soon. 
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
I've had the same experience several times after saying no to a preorder or membership I've gotten whining or more pressure which to me is rude and uncalled for.  The last time I was in a gamestop was to pick up cheap PS2 games I didn't have a member's card and was asked if I wanted one, I was going abroad for school in about a month so really didn't want to spend the extra money.  I politely told the woman no but she continued to prod and at this point had stopped ringing up my purchases.  I told her I wasn't interested and she continued telling me how it's "stupid" not to take the discount and if I came back in here without it I would be sorry, so I told her "if I ever did come back in here I would be sorry" and left, I have no plans to return to a gamestop anytime soon. 

*claps* I've walked away from registers many a time (too bad not with my intended purchases). Once a manager musta saw what was going on because they chased after me before leaving the store to ask if there was anything they could do to make my shopping experience more pleasurable. I told him to hire someone competent and walked away.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 16, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »
So..

I get off work at 4:30, make it to the GS I pre-ordered Fragile Dreams at by 5. I wait in line, behind 1 customer and one friend of the clerk. The clerk, Antwon, seemed like a nice guy. Sounded friendly, poked fun at his friend for owning a PS3.. hell when I finally got to the counter and was asked my phone number (he noticed my receipt in hand and knew what I was there for.. he's got MAD skillz) and saw I pre-ordered a Wii game, his friend was like "whats that? i never heard of it" and the dude replied something like "that's cuz it's not a whack PS3 game like the one you be playin' haha"

After some banter with his coworker, Jasmine I believe (I called the store prior to my departure from work to ensure it'd be there and not waste my time if it wasn't), I overheard that there were only 4 copies total in the store; 3 preordered (assuming) and one he mentioned was going to be "gutted", which I'm sure means it'll be the open display box game, the martyr of GS games.

I proceed to pay, he gives me back my change and highlights the "www.tellgamestop.com" part of my receipt and tells me to have a good day. I'm missing something. I decide to play stupid and say "Isn't there a soundtrack that's supposed to come with this, because I pre-ordered?" and he promptly replies "No, not that I'm aware of". I follow with "hm.. funny, I could have sworn there was a pre-order bonus for this game.." to which he answers "well, here let me give you the store number so can call us up and find out.." I interrupt with "oh, I should have the store number on my receipt.. don't worry about it" and walk away.

Once outside, I call up my friend Carlos, the inside man I have at GS to vent to as well as try to find out if he knows if they ever received the soundtrack (we had a conversation about it a few weeks ago when he tried to make me pre-order Monster Hunter Tri just to get the demo...) AND find out when the manager would be in to call and vent to him too. He wasn't much help, but did say he'd be working the night shift and if he saw anything he'd lemme know. Good man, when he wants to be.

I get back to my car, call up another nearby GS that I've never really had a problem with and a young kid answers, unfortunately I didn't catch his name. I ask him if he knows anything about a pre-order bonus for Fragile Dreams, and guess what he does.. HE CHECKS HIS FUCKING COMPUTER OMGOSH! "Yeah, looks like there's a soundtrack, 'Moonlight Tracks', that comes with the game if you pre-order" Thank you. That's all I needed to hear. I did ask him if it'd be possible for him to supply me the number to a district manager (general manager woulda been too far?) and the poor kid sounded so nervous and confused. I reassured him I didn't want to complain, about him or his store and told him straight up "..it's the store in White Plains I have a problem with, you guys are fine. You gave me the info I needed and I don't think I've ever had a problem with your store". He sounded relieved, put me on hold and came back with an 800 number.. bah, Customer Service number of course. I knew I wouldn't get a direct number, but that just proves this kid knew how to do his job; if a customer wants a district/general manager phone number chances are its bad and if you give it out, your store manager will KILL YOU.

I call up the number given to me [800.883.8895 for future reference] and within a minute I reach a woman by the name of Tammy, nice gal. To sum up our conversation, she took down (what I'm assuming is the store # from my receipt) and some other information, of mine, and told me she'd pass everything along to their Promotional dept and they'd try to mail me a copy of the "physical" pre-order item but due to limited quanities I might not get one, they might send coupons or some crap in the mail. Before ending the call, I made sure to reiterate my initial problem for the call;

it wasn't that I didn't receive the soundtrack essentially promised* to me, it was the fact that when questioning the store employee about it he:

A. (Claimed) He didn't know what I was talking about.
B. Had a snarky tone.
C. Didn't bother verifying the information.

Especially when I call up another franchise of theirs not even a mile away and the employee I reached there took initiative and looked it up on his work terminal and was also helpful with an out of the blue request for their district managers phone number when he knows he did nothing wrong.

After that summary, I made sure to give kudos to the GS that was helpful and if possible to pass that along to their higher-ups. Now I'm home, with an unopened copy of Fragile Dreams that I will return should this issue not be resolved. I should hear something via email in 24-48 hours, according to Tammy, and have 30 days to return this unopened product. We'll see what happens..

*I'm sorry, I don't buy into the whole "while supplies last" bullshit. I remember when there used to be limits on pre-ordering games and if a pre-order gift was announced, you were garaunteed to get it as long as you picked it up within the timeframe alotted for the store to hold your pre-order before putting it on the shelf for anyone else to nab, that is unless an asshole employee took it for themselves before day 1 (like what happened to me back when I pre-ordred OoT and didn't receive my; tshirt, callendar, poster..).

I pre-ordered this fucking game 13 days before it was released, I shouldn't be allowed to do that ESPECIALLY if a gift is promised. Pre orders are supposed to give retailers data on how many copies of a game to orderso they can have X amount for the people that pre-order and X amount for shelf space. Once you have that data, and know X amount of people have already put $X on a game you pass that along to the game publisher who can manufacture X amount of the bonus, its not that fucking hard is it?

Instead of a gift offer being used as an incentive for a gauranteed sale (assuming that if you're interested enough in a game to pre-order it, you're definately gonna buy it), GS (at least, I've never heard of bonus offers from other retailers) use it to dupe customers. Thats my opinion anyway, because as a former manager of a retail chain myself I know the importance of customer service/satisfaction and making your entire staff aware of any and all promotions that drive up business. Instead of someone walking in to GS and suggesting a pre-order to a game with a gift to entice them, they outright HARASS you in to pre-ordering, ANY new game with or without a bonus gift, and the customer isn't aware a gift even exist either because the management did a shitty job in informing their employees, or the employee themself is too stupid to remember, or even worse - they think if they seal a pre-order without informing of the bonus, they can take it for themselves and sell it on eBay down the line.

Oh and the fact that GS uses their pre-order data to bea cheap and only order a minimum of games is bullshit too. I'd be really surprised if there were 2 other people in my area that pre-ordered this game, and the remaining three copies were all they ordered to fill their shelves. Though at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they really did only get ONE shelf copy in, open it to put the box on display and sell the disc as "new" even though their employees are allowed to take the game home and play it, because any time I go in to a gamestop I see the (relatively) good games all on the Used shelf, while all the ones marked "new" are things like Imagine; Babiez Party..

/rant

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #318 on: March 16, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »

*claps* I've walked away from registers many a time (too bad not with my intended purchases). Once a manager musta saw what was going on because they chased after me before leaving the store to ask if there was anything they could do to make my shopping experience more pleasurable. I told him to hire someone competent and walked away.

Yeah, that's never happened to me or anyone I know. The cashier will ask 1 time, and then not mention it again.

insanolord, a lot of games will only get as many copies as pre-orders (meaning if 3 people pre-order the game at that store, the store will buy 3 copies from the publisher). This frequently happens with niche games that won't sell that well anyways.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 16, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
I understand that; my point is that it's a stupid policy, and that it's why I buy most of my games at Best Buy or on Amazon instead of at GameStop.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
I suppose, had I really wanted the bonus, that  I'd verify upon preorder that I'd be receiving the CD, especially since they said "While supplies last" in the press release and XSeed is a smaller company.

Still, I'd imagine it's should be a store's priority to know about pre-order bonuses, especially ones in exclusive promotions.  I still can't figure out why the gaming industry treats GameStop so well, aside from the fact that they're the only major games-only company out there.  I still think Sony needs to rev-up their "Sony Style" Playstation sections and have a dedicated employee just for them, and Nintendo needs to follow Microsoft's idea to make stores in malls and outlets to compete with GameStop.

The idea being that if the industry hardware makers open up shop, they'll see more of the profits, for one, and they'll likely over-expand, then close a few of the initial, though less profitable branches, creating a small void an independent could take advantage of.

I don't know, I just want SOME alternative for a dedicated video game store that sells new titles, and there's none.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
I suppose, had I really wanted the bonus, that  I'd verify upon preorder that I'd be receiving the CD

I did ;) That employee seemed to know his ****.

Nintendo needs to follow Microsoft's idea to make stores in malls and outlets to compete with GameStop.

I think they've flirted with the idea;

Last holiday season I noticed my local mall had a dedicated Nintendo Zone (or some other bad name, Experience maybe?). It wasn't a store with retail space, and I don't think they even sold product there.. it was out in the open, replacing two lame kiosk vendors (they were relocated, don't worry) and had about 6 Wii/Tv set-ups with various games for people to try out. Within the circle of Wii's there was a small information desk, and at least 3 other product demonstrators showing people how to play the various games they had. I noticed a wii wheel (mario kart) and balance board (wii fit) but no wii Zapper..

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2010, 08:22:10 PM »
I recall reading about it.  I've been to the Nintendo World Store when I went to New York a few weeks back, and the experience was absolutely a blast.  Having similar stores, though space consuming, could do leaps for public image, just like what Apple's done.  I just hope they'll be year 'round.

And I'm seriously disappointed to hear you had it confirmed you'd get the pre-release soundtrack.  That's not good to hear.  Did you receive any slip or notification about your pre-order?  Anything that has the date, or even went so far to have a promise about the CD?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
I'm still waiting for a Nintendo World Store in San Francisco. They should have opened it in the same building of old Sony Style store. That would have been way too funny though.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »
I recall reading about it.  I've been to the Nintendo World Store when I went to New York a few weeks back, and the experience was absolutely a blast.  Having similar stores, though space consuming, could do leaps for public image, just like what Apple's done.  I just hope they'll be year 'round.

And I'm seriously disappointed to hear you had it confirmed you'd get the pre-release soundtrack.  That's not good to hear.  Did you receive any slip or notification about your pre-order?  Anything that has the date, or even went so far to have a promise about the CD?

All i got was the receipt for my miles edgeworth game that also showed i put a $10 deposit down for Fragile Dreams back on 03/03/10. I'm not gonna sweat it anymore though, because if I don't get the soundtrack before the 30 day return limit, I'll go get my money back and bring a copy of the email from their customer service dept and threaten to go to the top. :)

As for the Nintendo World Store, it was MUCH more awesome during Wii launch (when i worked there ;)) or when theres any other events held. Any other time, its actually kinda meh for what it could be. As for the dedicated mall area, what i saw was a good start for a mall venture. It was odd they weren't trying to sell products directly, as there wasn't much competition in the mall (the same GS i posted about above, and a shitty selection at Sears, thats it) but i guess it worked out better that way for one important reason:

You could see EVERYTHING.

And no, i'm not talking about the cute blondes they had working there showing people how to use WiiFit :P The whole set-up was out in the open, so anyone and everyone, on any floor, could happen to walk by and see a ton of people playing Wii and having fun. You just can't get that kind of exposure in an enclosed retail area, especially not in a mall, no matter how much space you have or how big the glass store-front is. The only con about what they did was that they didn't sell actual product.