Author Topic: New Green-Clad Character Linkle Coming to Hyrule Warriors Legends  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: New Green-Clad Character Linkle Coming to Hyrule Warriors Legends
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »
The girl-Link concept always seemed odd to me.  The Zelda series already has a prominent female character in Zelda so if they wanted to make a game that stared a female wouldn't it make more sense to have Zelda in the starring role?  Why would you change the gender of an iconic male character when you have an iconic female character in the same series that fans have pretty much been begging to have her own game for decades?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 12:46:49 PM »
The girl-Link concept always seemed odd to me.  The Zelda series already has a prominent female character in Zelda so if they wanted to make a game that stared a female wouldn't it make more sense to have Zelda in the starring role?  Why would you change the gender of an iconic male character when you have an iconic female character in the same series that fans have pretty much been begging to have her own game for decades?
Link isn't really a character though, he's supposed to be a self insert that represents the player. Or if you go by the official timeline Link is not the same person every time rather a reincarnation or descendant. I don't see why any particular Link couldn't have been born with an XX instead of an XY.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 12:48:26 PM »
The character of Zelda is a plot device. In most games in the series, the player is saving her. If Nintendo developed a game starring Zelda, it would actually have to care about plot. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't introduce a female Link sooner. Without any direct romantic implications between Link and Zelda, it doesn't matter if Link is male or female. Nintendo got close to going that road with Marin and Midna, but it never commit because reasons. Additionally, Marin turned into a bird and Midna supposedly severed the Twilght Realm from Hyrule forever so it isn't even like it matters.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
Link isn't really a character though, he's supposed to be a self insert that represents the player. Or if you go by the official timeline Link is not the same person every time rather a reincarnation or descendant. I don't see why any particular Link couldn't have been born with an XX instead of an XY.

I think of Link as a character, just one with not much development or background story.  But I'm remembering when Zelda was an NES series.  Back then no kid talked about Link as a player avatar.  He was a character like Mega Man or Mario or Simon Belmont.  And that made sense then because a sprite with a name and a paragraph description in the manual was what 90% of videogame "characters" were.  I think this self insert stuff is more of a retcon to justify Nintendo's generally poor storytelling and inability to keep up with industry standards regarding plot.

When I think of a self insert I like of something like in most Western RPGs where you completely customize what your character looks like.  If they're going to really commit to Link being a representation of the player then they should go all out and allow that full character customization, of which gender would just be a part of it.

But I would rather play as Zelda herself.  How complicated of a plot does that even need?  Link is captured or busy with something else so Zelda has to be the hero.  Or even better they make two games simultaneously where there are separate quests for Link and Zelda and then they come together for the ending.

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »
I can’t believe Ganondorf’s fanfiction character Linkle is going to be in Hyrule Warriors!!

Linkle looks cool and fun to play as. And another crossbow training game would be pretty sweet too, although who knows if we will see Linkle outside of Hyrule Warriors.