Author Topic: Eyes Down Front, Mister  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Eyes Down Front, Mister
« on: June 08, 2013, 02:11:11 AM »

In which Zach discovers the benefits of Off-TV Play.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/34478

If you had asked me even a few weeks ago, what the least exciting benefit of having a Wii U was, I wouldā€™ve answered ā€œOff-TV Play,ā€ because I didnā€™t use it, didnā€™t have any reason to use it and couldnā€™t imagine playing a big-screen game on a small screen. Amazing Spider-Man just looks so damn good on my TVā€”why would I ever relocate to a screen smaller than my wifeā€™s tablet? As it turns out, the key phrase there is ā€œmy wife,ā€ who I hadnā€™t lived with in any normal capacity in eight months. See, she was off in Fairbanks going to graduate school while I was left to my own devices and complete television domination. You know what I didnā€™t have to watch while she was gone? New Girl* or The Mindy Project. Those were some good times. But now sheā€™s back, times have changed, and Iā€™ve embraced that which Iā€™d previously ignored.

Itā€™s not like Off-TV Play was never there. In fact, I used it once in a while when reviewing Wii U games, just to make sure that feature was present and accounted for. I much preferred a dual setupā€”some information displayed on the TV and some displayed on the GamePad. Itā€™s one of the reasons I like Resident Evil: Revelations so much and why, I imagine, Zelda U will be a compelling product (no more pressing pause to switch into the Iron Boots). My wife came back from school to a DVR full of terrible, terrible female-oriented shows that I had no business watching. Not to disparage my wifeā€™s taste in television more than necessary, but Zooey Deschanel and Mindy Kaling can both spontaneously combust, to say nothing of Fashion Police or The Real Housewives of Who Gives a ****. These shows couldnā€™t just be deleted, no sir, so the television was suddenly the near-exclusive property of my wife.

During this ā€œDark Period,ā€ as I call it, I was forced to subsist on DS and 3DS games because Off-TV Play hadnā€™t even entered my compromised mind. Then, as if by the hand (hoof?) of Arceus, Super Metroid solved my dilemma.

Remember when they were selling Super Metroid for 30 cents? I donā€™t care if you own that game five different ways (that would actually not be possible); it is one of the few games you need to own on as many platforms as possible so you can play whenever the mood strikes you. I jumped down that dealā€™s throat faster than an Apple apologist responds to a complete strangerā€™s Twitter criticism of Steve Jobs (itā€™s like their calling or something). I did not want to wait for my wife to finish her marathon of ā€œGossip Girlā€ so that I could play my precious Super Metroid. No sir, my aim was to delve into the trenches of Zebes that very night, and so, almost reluctantly, I made serious use of Off-TV Play.

As it turns out, Off-TV Play might be the best way to play Super Metroid. When blown up on a 36ā€ flat screen TV, the 19-year-old Super Nintendo game doesnā€™t actually look that great, because you can see individual pixels. On the GamePad however, the smaller screen makes everything blend together pretty well. I daresay this has always been the way Super Metroid was meant to be played. It took longer than Iā€™d like to admit, but I did beat the game for the hundredth time on the GamePad while my wife watched petty rich people blackmail each other on the TV.

Because Gossip Girl was on longer than a single season (meanwhile, Firefly was not), the GamePad has become my go-to device for gaming. Iā€™ve been playing all the SNES Kirby games on the thing, as well as the majority of my time with Resident Evil: Revelations. The other night, I tried to play The Amazing Spider-Man on the GamePad, and it works alright, but thatā€™s really a big-screen game with big-screen action, especially when swinging around Manhattan. The situation with Darksiders 2 is similarā€”thatā€™s another grand adventure game thatā€™s ill-suited to the GamePad. I also prefer playing it and Spider-Man with the Pro Controller. The GamePad, however, is ideal for playing VC games and most downloadable games, like Mighty Switch Force HD and Nano Assault Neo. Oddly enough, I find it difficult to play Runner 2 on the GamePad, though thereā€™s nothing inherently ā€œbig screenā€ about it.

So the point, ultimately, is that Off-TV Play is great, and if you live with somebodyā€”even part-timeā€”it should become your go-to gaming alternative. Iā€™m surprised Nintendo of America isnā€™t promoting this aspect of the system more. Wait, what am I saying? They donā€™t promote the Wii U at all right now. But if they did, Off-TV Play would be a great platform.

ā€œIs your wife or girlfriend addicted to a glorified prime-time soap opera and lording over your TV? No problem! Just use the Wii Uā€™s patented GamePad to get your gaming fix. You can even plug in your headphones so that you arenā€™t distracted by obnoxious phrases like: ā€™GUUUUURL,ā€™ ā€™NO HE DIā€™Nā€™T,ā€™ and ā€˜I'm not here to make friends.ā€™ Wii Uā€”buy one today!ā€

*Yeah, half of you are probably defending New Girl right now. Here's your assignment: defend that show without apologizing for Zooey Deschanel. Go on, try. As I mentioned to fellow staffer Andy Goergen, the three male leads are funny but then Zooey wanders on-camera in some kind of anachronistic 1930's flapper outfit and basically starts yelling "LOOK AT HOW QUIRKY I AM! TEE-HEE!" Utter goddamn rubbish.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Eyes Down Front, Mister
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 05:45:16 AM »
Awww... I LIKE New Girl and The Mindy Project! T-T

Ironically, sometimes I do off-tv play even when no one's using the TV! @_@ The TV is in such a prominent position at my place, I don't necessarily want to "claim it" sometimes. Playing on the Wii U GamePad is dramatically more non-intrusive if you live in a household that's already full of distractions and you don't want to throw another one on the pile for the people around you.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:21:07 AM »
I don't care how many tv's people in the US have, off-tv play is absolutely relevant to anyone who doesn't live alone. Period. And to the married and live-in couples, it is absolutely essential. I agree that it should be highlighted in its own ad campaign for the WiiU because it is that good and something that you wouldnt know you needed until you found yourself laying next to your woman watching The Voice and wishing you could be playing your console right then.

Keep those ear buds handy.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »
I think that's a big vulnerability of the xbone, it seems designed around the concept of one person per TV. One person watching sports and checking their fantasy league. One person chatting with people on the internet.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »
I perform The B* from Apartment I forget the rest of the title from that crop.  Sad its gone.  Though they could make a show that is just the a slide show of Zooey Deschanel in different outfits I know a good contingency of men who would watch it religiously.  I'm sorry, why she isn't ugly, She's not THAT attractive.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
Zooey Deschanel needs to go back to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe tbqh.

And now that I'm among the WiiU owning masses (yes, I'll get my NNID in the appropriate thread posthaste), it's changed the entertainment setup in the apartment such that the WiiU gets HDMI1 and everything else is on 2 (a switcher).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
Off TV play has become one of my most used features, which is surprising. I often use when my son is watching TV and I feel like playing something. I am ashamed to admit that more than once I have used it simply because I did not feel like getting up and setting up the tv to play.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
Off TV play has become one of my most used features, which is surprising. I often use when my son is watching TV and I feel like playing something. I am ashamed to admit that more than once I have used it simply because I did not feel like getting up and setting up the tv to play.
I've done that too.  Often times I turn on my WiiU and then decide whether I want the full screen or not.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
Yeah, Off-TV play is my favourite feature, no doubt about it. I watch way too many sports and TV shows (and listen to podcasts, too) while playing. Off-TV play makes all of that very convenient for me.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline night814

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »
I almost always play off-tv whether I have to or not

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »
The problem with advertising the feature is that you need to be careful not to communicate "And you can use off-TV play if someone wants to do something more fun, like watch a crappy show." or "Off-TV play, because not everyone can enjoy playing Wii U games together."

Obviously, you guys all know there can be fun multiplayer games and see the benefit of it. But Nintendo would have to be really clever at advertising if... hmm... maybe that's not a skill Nintendo has anymore?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 11:06:34 PM »
The problem with advertising the feature is that ...

My understanding was that the real problem is that the feature isn't universally supported, so Nintendo can't advertise it as a system feature since that would cause some consumers to expect the feature to be present in all games. Nintendo already had one ad banned in the UK because it was potentially misleading.

As someone with a young family, off-screen play is an incredibly appealing feature to me. The only issue I have right now is that the 3DS library is so much stronger than Wii U, it's hard to justify buying another console that is going to be played like a portable when I could just stick to my actual portable system instead.  In a sense, Nintendo has set up their two gaming systems to compete for my time and budget.
NNID: ejamer