Author Topic: For a fallen soilder  (Read 6241 times)

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
For a fallen soilder
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »
 :'(

Well, normaly I like to post news about weird and funny topics, but I stumbled apon this one, and couldn't resist sharing it here. This isn't my story, just posting it here for all to see.

British Private Richard Hunt made the ultimate sacrifice last week when his company was struck by an explosive device while on patrol in Afghanistan.

During a well-attended ceremony back home in Monmouthshire on what would have been the fallen soldier’s 22nd birthday, Private Hunt’s father, Phillip, commemorated the time they spent together playing Call of Duty: World at War.

Along with flowers and other items, a copy of the game was laid at the site of the memorial service. A handwritten not attached to the game read:

“Happy Birthday ‘Hunty’. Play you again one day. Dad.â€

(story from GamePolitics.com)
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
Re: For a fallen soilder
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »
I wish to apologize ahead of time, if I offended anyone here by posting this, I just feel like it was a good story.

Personaly some of my best child hood moments was my mother helping me beat banjo-kazooie, or shooting down my father in starfox64.
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »
That's just touchin' /eddie murphy

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
the pic you posted isn't showing up

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »
shows up just fine for me.
try using a different browser, or reloading a few times.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:56:53 AM »
He should have taught his son real life isn't a video game
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:13:54 AM »
I want to state. This is the kind of story that can easily dive deep into ridicule, mockery and discussion of politics so let's keep it civil. Regardless of your own personal beliefs this is a sad story and thus we should respect the people involved in it.

So once again, keep it civil. No need for rude remarks, jokes or discussion about politics or videogame violence. There a time and place for these topics, and this isn't one of them.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 05:21:55 AM »
Disregarding the tasteless joke, this is really a sad story. I know what Snipper is talking about, when someone passes away the little things matter more then we can imagine as illustrated by this.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »
He should have taught his son real life isn't a video game

I don't think this guy joined the army just because he like call of duty. Millions of people love call of duty, and yet they don' all join the army, I think that is a unfair thing to say. My cousin played a few games of call of duty with me, and he inlisted, but that was for many diffrent matters, such as collage, and sence of duty...

Sorry to target you, just thought it was unfair to say.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »
Yeah Perm... way to be a total tool there.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
Serious topic is serious. No fun allowed.

ThePerm.... report to The Funhouse Immediately.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
im not really a fan of video games that simulate real conflicts. world war 2, vietnam, or quasi simulate the current war. I will kill zombie Nazis, Demons, Aliens, Corporate Spies, Zombies, orcs, trolls, elves, wizards. Not that I won't play them from time to time, but they aren't my bag. This thread can't help but invoke political sentiment. Its sad because there is a dead kid. I forgot which story I read, or who wrote it, but it was about the first world war and how the main character's father told him how glorious war was only to find out his father was lying to him when he actually got there. This is like the modern version of it. I'm not saying video games lead to violence, im saying this is tragically ironic. This is that sort of thing that fuels that fire.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:00:56 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 10:17:51 AM »
pre-post edit: Ya know what, I'm just gonna stay outta this one.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.