Author Topic: Nintendo Announces Wii Successor, Launching in 2012  (Read 7159 times)

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Announces Wii Successor, Launching in 2012
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
I'd love to see the console launch with Pikmin 3, a slew of third party games, and a special Zelda pack containing a directors cut version of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

I'd also love to see it be made of solid gold, cost only $1, and have the ability to grant wishes!  :P:

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
This is completely unrelated, but I have yet to cop a Black Wii as I originally intended to do once it came out. I've been Wii-less for quite sometime now. While the price drops and the mario bundle have been extremely tempting, something tells me they are going to release a golden Wii with preloaded Zelda games on it.

I hope I'm right.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
Will this 6" screen come with a stylus?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
Will this 6" screen come with a stylus?
Whatever the stylus is it can't compete with my collectors Pink and White Kirby stylus :D
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »
Very surprised that it's playable at E3 and coming out next year. Surely Nintendo must be aware that this gives plenty of time for the competition *cough* Sony *cough* to evaluate and plagiarize Nintendo's ideas.

Look at the Sixaxis. Sony will need to understand it before copying it which will require some years of applied game development.

There is a difference between understanding the hardware and duplicating and understanding the decision that drove it and applying it. The Move shows a grasp of the first part, the Kinect shows the second.

The move certainly shows more understanding than the sixaxis. I'm not sure the Kinect was driven by real understanding and not just "hey, it's a new gimmick!".

Move and Sixaxis are two different mistakes.

Sixaxis is the Sony mentality of "put everything into the product. Check off all the boxes. We need motion controls because that guy has them. No real consideration was given into making MC work, it just needed to be on the box. The Result: Lair.
Move was just cynical duplication in form and function and relying on your assurances that it is "better" and that your tech is superior would sell it. The Wii Remote did very well, we need a Wii Remote - but better! The Result: People already had Wii Remotes, didn't see the difference. Didn't see the need.

Kinect was Microsoft saying "we need something not currently on the market that will appeal to a casual audience because the experience of using it is fun on its own." (you can argue quite easily that EyeToy isn't even in the same ballpark nor is it currently a factor in market) This is much closer to the Nintendo model used during the Wii Remote.

Kinect sold, and not just Kinect units but sold consoles. Move has found acceptance much harder.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
Very surprised that it's playable at E3 and coming out next year. Surely Nintendo must be aware that this gives plenty of time for the competition *cough* Sony *cough* to evaluate and plagiarize Nintendo's ideas.

Look at the Sixaxis. Sony will need to understand it before copying it which will require some years of applied game development.

There is a difference between understanding the hardware and duplicating and understanding the decision that drove it and applying it. The Move shows a grasp of the first part, the Kinect shows the second.

The move certainly shows more understanding than the sixaxis. I'm not sure the Kinect was driven by real understanding and not just "hey, it's a new gimmick!".

Move and Sixaxis are two different mistakes.

Sixaxis is the Sony mentality of "put everything into the product. Check off all the boxes. We need motion controls because that guy has them. No real consideration was given into making MC work, it just needed to be on the box. The Result: Lair.
Move was just cynical duplication in form and function and relying on your assurances that it is "better" and that your tech is superior would sell it. The Wii Remote did very well, we need a Wii Remote - but better! The Result: People already had Wii Remotes, didn't see the difference. Didn't see the need.

Kinect was Microsoft saying "we need something not currently on the market that will appeal to a casual audience because the experience of using it is fun on its own." (you can argue quite easily that EyeToy isn't even in the same ballpark nor is it currently a factor in market) This is much closer to the Nintendo model used during the Wii Remote.

Kinect sold, and not just Kinect units but sold consoles. Move has found acceptance much harder.
I agree with this.  I will also add I haven't seen anything with Kinect that made me want to go and get one.  Its very niche.  I would like to see some clever hybrid uses for it. (Also my living room isn't big enough for Kinect.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
I was reading a recent copy of Game Informer magazine and they talked about how Kinect was outselling move 5:1 and they said something I thought was funny. They said Kinect had a major advertising campaign to back it up, but with Move it was like a fart in the wind. And that's pretty true, because where are all the Move ads and promotions? There were 1 or 2 Kevin Butler commercials the month it came out, but that's it and we haven't heard anything since. Its dropped off the public's radar of awareness. On the other hand, Microsoft has been pushing the hell out of Kinect with thigns like Burger King promotions and so on.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
I was reading a recent copy of Game Informer magazine and they talked about how Kinect was outselling move 5:1 and they said something I thought was funny. They said Kinect had a major advertising campaign to back it up, but with Move it was like a fart in the wind. And that's pretty true, because where are all the Move ads and promotions? There were 1 or 2 Kevin Butler commercials the month it came out, but that's it and we haven't heard anything since. Its dropped off the public's radar of awareness. On the other hand, Microsoft has been pushing the hell out of Kinect with thigns like Burger King promotions and so on.
Someone at the XBox MS Division loves  Burger King.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
Maybe if you ripped off the Burger King's mask it would be Bill Gates?
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 02:43:59 AM »
They said Kinect had a major advertising campaign to back it up, but with Move it was like a fart in the wind. And that's pretty true, because where are all the Move ads and promotions? 

You're telling me! Never once saw the PS MOVE commercial I was in! I did later on see some of the guys I worked with on the actual MOVE pamphlets, not me however...
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn