Author Topic: ok! so i'm a Nintendo FREAK!  (Read 8096 times)

Offline metroid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
ok! so i'm a Nintendo FREAK!
« on: February 17, 2003, 04:01:23 PM »
I love Nintendo to death. I will buy their consoles as long as they make them. But it's hard for me to put myself in the context of a casual gamer. My question is this? If you were a casual gamer looking at all three consoles, what incentive is there to buy the Gamecube?

This is a question I have a hard time answering, and have in many cases been forced to come up with. Some of my friends have asked me for advice on what console they should buy. Why they ask me, i really don't know. I want them to buy Gamecube because I am hard pressed to find a friend I can talk to about all the great Nintendo games i have, but I have trouble giving them a reason to buy It!. With the new deal ( 150$ + Free game) i think my options are getting better, arguing that you get a great deal but that doesn't seem to be enough. Most casual gamers I've noticed couldn't give a crap about all of the awsome Ist party games and exclusives for Gamecube, with the exception of maybe Resident Evil, but only because it was popularized when the playstation was in its prime. That's the whole agument right there... Nintendo Games + Exclusives = best purchase choice... to me that is. But that didn't go for any of my friends that asked for advice.

Do any of you have this problem? It is hard to convince others to buy Gamecube or are you sorounded by fans of Nintendo?

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 04:06:40 PM »
One time, I was walking to the grocery, and I met this guy who didn't want a GameCube.  So, I talked to his face with violent fists.

When I was done, he was still saying, "I hate NINTENDO!!!!!!!" but his face was saying, "Dang man, get me a dadgum GameCube, man!"  You could make that out, strangely.

So, the moral to this tale is: Most everyone is buying the GameCube.  Sony and MS are merely sending out false propaganda like, "Hey, this is Sony here, and we're totally winning the console war!  Isn't it funny how Nintendo isn't cool anymore?"  You've heard that before, I'm sure--and it's just a clever ruse by Sony to create an international lie.  The ultimate in technological conspiracy.

Why are you looking at me like that?  It's all true.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 04:13:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Sean
One time, I was walking to the grocery, and I met this guy who didn't want a GameCube.  So, I talked to his face with violent fists.

When I was done, he was still saying, "I hate NINTENDO!!!!!!!" but his face was saying, "Dang man, get me a dadgum GameCube, man!"  You could make that out, strangely.

So, the moral to this tale is: Most everyone is buying the GameCube.  Sony and MS are merely sending out false propaganda like, "Hey, this is Sony here, and we're totally winning the console war!  Isn't it funny how Nintendo isn't cool anymore?"  You've heard that before, I'm sure--and it's just a clever ruse by Sony to create an international lie.  The ultimate in technological conspiracy.

Why are you looking at me like that?  It's all true.

uhhhh... no it's not
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 04:14:22 PM »
I hope you're kidding, Masterpiece.  This was all over the nightly news.

By the way, why quote my entire post which is literally RIGHT BEFORE your post.

Offline dalmation10k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 04:16:16 PM »
I've converted a few people in my time, simply because I don't shut up about videogames.
some reasons that the gamecube is a good choice are:
1) the controller is the best. alot of people won't agree until they spend some time playing with it.
2) Load times are absolutely minimal. Which is actually very important for most genre of games. The PSX really made RPG's quite a chore, loading everytime you walk into someones house.
3) The most important, and one that alot of people have no clue about, because their gaming experience is limited.... Games made by NINTENDO, they are untouchable. end of story.
4) Four controller ports, making 4 player games very common. God knows why Sony didn't include 2 more ports on the PS2... wonder how many the PS3 will have...
Don't you want to know how we keep starting fires?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 04:24:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Sean
I hope you're kidding, Masterpiece.  This was all over the nightly news.

Yep, I saw it on World News and everything. Then I had a bag of jelly beans and went "AW NO THEY'RE ALL STUCK TOGETHER!" so I wrote a letter to my next door neighbours telling them and they sent me a kitten back two years later, but that's a whole different story.

Anyway metroid, good luck in talking any casual gamer into a GameCube these days. Nothing you can say works. Telling them it's got the best first party games, you get struck with a "BUT XBOX HAS HALO AND PS2 HAS GTA!"
Tell them about the quick loading times, expect a face full of "XBOX HAS HARD DRIVE, IS GOOD!" not to mention a face full of biscuit crumbs.

Really, I don't know why casual gamers ask which is the best when they've already made up their minds due to what the TV tells them is cool.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 04:34:42 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. I'm a diehard Nintendo fan and will buy whatever consoles they put out. I buy and thoroughly enjoy almost all of the first party stuff. I've played the other consoles and I don't even think it's close when it comes to quality and bang for the buck with each game. I've had this love for Nintendo ever since my parents bought me an NES back when I was in the 9th grade.

However, if someone asks me which console to buy, I direct them toward the PlayStation. Anybody that asks me is obviously a friend or a relative so I'm not going to try trick them for the sake of selling a Nintendo system. My loyalties are to them before Nintendo. Everyone that has ever asked me has been a casual fan that will only buy 2 or 3 titles a year. And I know they'd rather buy a Grand Theft Auto game than a Mario game despite Mario being great.

It's strange really. I know in my heart that Nintendo is much better than Sony and Microsoft yet I also know that if you aren't a diehard videogame player you will probably never realize this. Casual gamers will dismiss Zelda as a cartoon and not give it a second thought while diehards like me will realize the brilliance of it. It's that way with most of Nintendo's great GC games.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 04:38:31 PM »

If you were a casual gamer looking at all three consoles, what incentive is there to buy the Gamecube?

Metroid Prime nuff said.

True Story, i was at EB a  month ago, waiting in line to make my Zelda Pre order, and i see this dude 18-20 and his mom talking about video games, the dude convinced his mom to get him an Xbox, the mom was telling him how his brother wanted a Gamecube. The dude was saying, why does he want a Gamecube? its crap, i know about video games and i know its crap. Ignorance like that makes me angry, so i calmly said. Excuse me I own a Gamecube and its not crap, he told me... Oh yeah? Why? I said, simple Metroid Prime. He said yeah i admit thats a rad game, but Super Mario Sunshine sucked! I was like so? Dont buy SMS and buy Prime and shut up. He did

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 05:20:21 PM »

Infernal Monkey writes: Really, I don't know why casual gamers ask which is the best when they've already made up their minds due to what the TV tells them is cool.

Infernal Monkey.  Could you be any more right here?  I don't think so.

Also, your "biscuit crumbs" comment caused what I like to call "spasmodial dumpage" when I read it.  You don't want to know what that is, but it IS, however, related to cosmically hard laughing.

Back to the facts: the force of advertising that declares to the masses that something is "cool" is genuinely unstoppable: no number of bad games can change the flow.  This I believe.  

Offline willys85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 06:05:39 PM »
You know why in LatinAmerica the people likes more the PS2 than the GC, because of the piratery, a gamecube game here cost 60 bucks, and a copied game of PS2 is a 700 mb cd cost 5 bucks, thats why, and a lot of people rather the PS2 than a GC because they are ignorants, a lot of people tell me that the PS2 has the best Graphics ever, they Think that the GC hasn't good graphics,other reason is that they thinks that the GC is for Kids, and the other reason is because they think that if they buy a PS2 they have  a great DVD player, but almost all the DVD players broke down when a chip is inserted into the PS2 to play the pirates Games, thats why, here a lot of people wants Metroid Prime, or the mario games, or eternal darkness,or the RE series, but they prefer the PS2 because the pirates games are cheap, thats the only reason why the PS2 has more audience in latinamerica, and some people have told me that the will buy a GC only if they find pirates games.

I've fighting for the reputation of Nintendo since the N64, and here is really hard, here in Chile there is a few diehard Nintendo fans, I'm one of them and I'm glad of be one, but the fighting is hard, but at least there is almost no Xbox fans in Chile
So Your God fell in Love with the War, Well He is Only Your God

Offline Stex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2003, 06:13:38 PM »
Eh, the fact is that there are other superb games on other consoles. Games on the same level as Nintendo's games. (yes I know it's hard for a lot of you to believe)

The average gamer only buys two or three games.  So they pick go and pick up whichever console catches their eye....they might base it on exclusives like GTA or the fact that a certain system has a DVD player and a game like Madden or something.  Not everyone is so nuts over Nintendo people.

I'm not arguing that dismissing a console because it is "kiddy", or "too big and made by MS" is not ignorant, I'm just saying that most people are just casual gamers that might only buy a few choice games of some sort.  Not everyone has the money or desire to buy all of the Nintendo exclusives.

Stex

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 12:59:50 AM »

Originally posted by: metroid
I love Nintendo to death. I will buy their consoles as long as they make them. But it's hard for me to put myself in the context of a casual gamer. My question is this? If you were a casual gamer looking at all three consoles, what incentive is there to buy the Gamecube?
 Buy any console that's *not* made by Microstooge.  That leaves PS2, GameCube.
If you can only afford one console (sad), PS2 is the way.  It has more games and more variety than any other console.  And please don't say, "PS2 games suck."  Only a biased fanboy believes that nonsense, because my PS2 games are just as much fun as my Mario, Zelda, and Metro games.
By the way, yelling at people and shaking your fist at them sends this message: NINTENDO GAMERS ARE IMMATURE AND CHILDISH.  I suggest you use a different approach that does not confirm the "Nintendo is for children" image.  

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2003, 01:13:37 AM »
GOd damnit you people its a question of opinion. If the people here love Nintendo games and think they are the best its theyre own right.
WHen opinions clash together things go wrong. So ultimately Nintendo might be the best for some, but that again its a question of opinion and perception.
LZ 2005

Offline Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2003, 01:26:31 AM »
Here's what you gotta do..
       Say all the bad things about the other systems, make them seem like they have all this junk, and nothing good..Cause people hardly ever look at the good things. Then talk about all the good things on the Cube. :B Always works. Well, for me atleast. Quality's better than quantity.

Ps2 Library = Probably about Fifteen good games out of..lots. The rest are Ps1 games played..over..and over..XD
Xbox Library = Halo. :: drool :: Sooo....awesome....
Gamecube Library = QUALITY GAMES!! THIS IS THE STUFF!! O.O Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, Luigi, Animal Crossing, etc. And that's only by Nintendo! And just off the top of my head! Sheesh..I might wet myself if I think of anything else better than Halo and Nintendo goodstuff.  
Current Game Playing - Halo
Current Most Wanted Game - PlanetSide
Current Favorite Game - Halo
Current Favorite Console Of All Time - SNES

--------------------------

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2003, 01:39:17 AM »
in my opinion (how ever conveluted and odd it may be) casual gamers are "ruining" console gameing =\ sure they bring in more money, but they seem to bring lower quality with them =\, i haven't been a gamer perhaps as long as some others (im only the tender age of 18) but as near as i can tell the xbox/ps2 (im not flaiming here) kinda brought in the "cool croud" and because there alot more "cool people" than your average nerd/gamer/etc kinda tips the ballance of over all console purchasers in the casual gamers direction, and games are angled towards them

thats atleast how i see it, feel free to criticize etc

reason to buy a gamecube?
1) controller (mentioned before)
2) portableness
3) nintendo's games

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2003, 04:56:00 AM »
Hey, I've had this same problem too. I usually tell people that if they don't know what they want they should just get a PS2 cause it gets pretty much everything, but the thing is, PS2 gets a lot of crappy games. A lot of 'em. I'm a fanboy, and people are always talking about the lack of quality on the XBox, but jeesh I was looking at the PS2 release list awhile ago, and its completely full of crap.

I had this friend over Christmas who told me he really wanted an XBox. I told him he was just selling out to media hype and junk and that the best games were on GC. I showed him Metroid and everything, but he still went out and bought himself an XBox when he didn't get it for XMas. Anyways, the moral. Theres nothing you can do. Either Nintendo has to start running ads saying, "We're the best. We're cool. Look at this, its cool! Buy it" or they're gonna be stuck with a bunch of rabid fans and none of the general public.

And hey, I liked Mario Sunshine. It was no Mario 64, but it was addicting to beat, and the platforming levels are the best ever. I wish there was a way to get to 'em without having to run through all that other crap.

Offline metroid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2003, 11:46:23 AM »
AHHHHHH!!! sorry just a little fustrated. There really is nothing that i can do. Nintendo's image seems unstobable. It will never change.

The "Kiddy" argument... oh how it makes me mad.... it is embedded into EVERY casual gamers brain!!!

Just today i was sitting in my 2d design class (boring as hell) so a few of us guys get to talking about video games. All i got out of that conversation is 1. Xbox is awesome 2. Xbox is the best 3. Xbox has the best graphics. 4. Gamecube is for little kids.

Now do see why i screamed?? Will it ever end??

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2003, 12:00:36 PM »
Our only hope is that casual gamers will become more like us hardcore gamers and start looking for quality in their games.  
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2003, 03:29:29 PM »
We can complain all we want about "casual gamers," but they have always run the industry.  They will always go with what is hot or who is number 1 - its the same in every industry.  Great games didn't give Nintendo control of the industry in the mid 80s, they were the only game in a town that had once been owned by now defunct American consoles.  Everyone bought Nintendo and everyone developed for Nintendo because of it.  They weren't ready in '91 and were drilled by Sega's Genesis, and the trend has continued with the PS and PS2.  Nintendo has always brought the fattest hog to market, but they always manage to get it there when its too late.  They've never been particularly good at looking ahead, and with their continued reliance on higher priced proprietary media to stifle piracy, destroyed the N64 - a fine system if ever one was created.  Actually, the finest games I have ever played were on SNES and N64, most of you probably feel the same way.

They now face the very REAL prospect of being Number 3 even after the next consoles release.  For those old of us old enough to remember the passing of the torch from the NES (hell, I remember the passing of the torch from pinball) almost NO serious gamer I knew wanted the Sega Genesis.  When we discussed it, it was always - "Nah, man, I wanna wait and see what Nintendo comes up with"  Well, we waited.........  By the time SNES launched, Genesis already was rolling thunder with killer apps like Sonic, Madden Football and the rest of a huge lineup from EA - you had to buy it.  5 years later, there were still hangers-on waiting for N would come up with - the N64, but more than a year after PS launched, who the hell cared other than hard-core N enthusiasts.  They lost ground on the Genesis and got LAPPED by Sony.  They lost it, and will never regain it.  Every PS2/XBOX owner will be waiting for their team to produce in 2005/06 - and they will. This is especially true for kids/teens who will see their cousin or the kid down the street get a system and have to get one, too - patience or understanding quality will never be the domain of children.  

By the way, these casual gamers will call themselves "hard core" gamers in 10 years.  They'll wistfully long for the days of GTA, Resident Evil or whatever other slop they stand in line at EB for.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2003, 04:41:52 PM »
I occasionally work in the Electronic Department at Wal-Mart (I cover when people go to lunch) and I can't say how many times this conversation has taken place.

Customer: "So, which one is best?"
Me: "Well, me personally, I like the Gamecube. It has some great games and connects to the GBA. The Xbox is about as powerful as the GC, but about the only great game on there is Halo. And the PS2 is a bit older and not as powerful, but it has some good games for it."
Customer: "Do they all play DVDs?"
Me: "The Gamecube doesn't but the other two do."
Customer: "Then I should just get one of the others huh?"
Me: "Well, if you don't have a DVD player sure, but the Gamecube has some very goo..."
Customer: "I guess I'll take that PS2 / Xbox. I really need a DVD player..."
Me: "Okay...."

See, most of the time it's adults who are looking for a DVD player and something to keep the kids entertained. Usually they don't even really care about the games.

Once I got this couple to buy their kid a Platinum cube, mainly because I told the dad about Animal Crossing and how you could collect old NES games and even play them on the GBA. He seemed really excited about that. And as they bought it, he said "and we'll be back next week for one of those Platinum Gameboys." I know one kid that was happy last Christmas.

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2003, 04:57:00 PM »
You are a good man, Josh Nickerson.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2003, 08:47:47 PM »
yes. hooray for josh

foolish parents =\ would be cheaper (well before the big price drops) to get a dvd player and a gamecube. smarter too
especially if you ahve 2 tvs and cant solve the dilema of wanting to watch a dvd AND get rid of your kids