Author Topic: Burnout 2: Point of Impact  (Read 9944 times)

Offline cmoney

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
« on: February 13, 2003, 10:12:16 AM »
I'm assuming most of you have checked out the screens here on PGC. Am I wrong to be a little excited about this game? This truly looks to be an awesome game. It will be if it plays anything like it's predicessor anyway.

Anyone know how far along the game is really? Like, approx. release date?

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 10:13:35 AM »
Should be this spring. this is my most highly anticiapated game. should be about the best arcade racer ever, if it's anything like the PS2 version.
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 02:22:11 PM »
True that. So it's already out on PS2? I guess that's the way it usually is.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 02:55:11 PM »
I read on IGN that Sony rushed Burnout 1 out and the GC version was certainly more refined because Nintendo gave Acclaim the time of day.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 02:59:32 PM »

Originally posted by: cmoney
So it's already out on PS2? I guess that's the way it usually is.

It’s already out for PS2 because Sony got a time exclusive on it.

It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 05:15:13 PM »
Last Saturday I got top play Burnout 2 on PS2, and although the gameplay was great, the graphics were just a little on the blurry side, like in Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions. So if you don't mind me asking, would the Gamecube version be HEAPS CLEARER than the PS2 version? If so, then I will definitely buy it.

I absolutely LOVE the racing, and I LOVE the Crashes (and obviously Crash Mode). The Slow-mo is near perfect, and everything you crash into brings out whole slew of car parts and particles. Seeing the trailer on the trucks slide sideways in crash mode (Toy Story 2 style) is just sooo cool.

If Nintendo can use this physics system in a new racer or something, that would be cool.

EDIT: After seeing the screens on PGC, the game looks infinitely more detailed than the PS2 version. And I REALLY like that. Just still wondering about the blurriness though.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 05:53:45 PM »
Ah yes, the infamous timed-exclusive. Well then. Looks like we've got a good game coming either way. The screen shots are impressive and if it's even only on par with the original it'll be a good game.

By the way...Does anyone have the sales numbers for Burnout? (On GC of course)

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 08:46:20 PM »
I loved the first one so i might buy it but IGN Xbox says the Xbox one has exclusive stuff not on the GCN

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 10:11:57 PM »
SWEET HEY ZEUS ALMIGHTY I WANT THIS GAME SO &$#*ING BAD THAT I WILL KILL PEOPLE FOR IT DRNOWEFWFOWEBFOWE*

Erm... yeah.  What I meant to say is I've been waiting for this game ever since I played the first one.  I said in my Burnout review that it was a type of game that could be perfected with a sequel.  I said that because I knew immediately that there was going to be a sequel.  And hot damn, are we going to get one.

Let me put it this way: I want this game more than I want any other game.  This includes Zelda.  In fact, I want this game so damn badly, I've been seriously considering buying an Xbox just for this game so I can get the best possible version of the game.  (Of course, the problem there is that I'm scheduled to review the GC version of the game (along with two other staffers, since half of PGC is also waiting for this game with baited breath) and getting the Xbox version would defeat that.)  I played a tiny bit of it on the PS2, but not too much as to spoil it.  However, I think playing just that little tiny bit has indeed spoiled me.  And now I want to play it  Right now.

And in case you're curious about it, Sony did have a time exclusive on this game, as well as the original.  Of course, the problem with that this time around is everyone knew that the sequel was coming to other systems this time around, which is why you haven't heard Acclaim talk all that much about the sales of the game.  People are waiting for the far better GC and Xbox games.  I am waiting for them.  I want them NOW.

*Disclaimer: "&$#*" was typed out as-is, and is not a result of the language filter.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 10:23:26 PM »
Someone asked for burnout sales figures,
PS2 Burnout 210,068
GCN Burnout 56,258
XXB Burnout 40,187

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 10:33:29 PM »
Simply put, BurnOut 2 is the best arcade racer I've ever laid my filthy hands on. I've had an absolute blast with it on PS2 (Plus, owning a steering wheel adds to it all ^^)

But now I've read the upcoming features for the GC and Xbox version, and I'm in love again. It now features DOUBLE the amount of Crash Zones, and more special effects (Full reflections this time around!)

When it launches on GC, I'll own it. Yep, I'll have two versions of BO2.
More levels, better graphics and the best load times of all three? Yes please.

Offline Wrx_Boi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2003, 11:17:53 PM »
really do u think it is that good whens it out in Australia do u know and do u really reckon its worth the money

Offline mrcivic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 12:42:05 AM »
Being a racing nut, I can't wait for this game! And considering the lack of good racing games on GCN, this will be more than welcome.
If a Cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about! - Troy McClure

Are you a PAL gamer? Then visit PALGN.com "For PAL gamers - By PAL gamers!"

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 01:22:34 AM »
count me in.  i'm looking forward as well, even though i didn't get the first one.  it's been awhile since i've played a arcade racing game.

this game, mario kart and F-Zero will fill my racing needs on the GC...oh boy!

Offline sequoia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 02:15:30 AM »
Ya, I like the fact that they have police chases in this one All that NFS HP will make burnout seem so much better.
I am what I created. Believing in my fate. Integrity is my name.
All that I am doin, can never be ruined. The Torn Outlaw.

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 03:12:22 AM »
Shite!  Police chases in this one? I had no idea....

*sigh*

Now if only they had the time to fit a Murcielago or two in there....

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2003, 03:24:40 AM »
I need a racing game bad, and I particularly enjoyed the first Burnout so a second dose is surely in order. That game is just pretty, and you cant go wrong with gorgeous graphics and dope gameplay.
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline godwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2003, 04:27:51 AM »
Man this game will rock. Part one was amazing!

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 08:28:38 AM »
This game looks so much more polished than the first.  It's like a piece of delicious candy falling into your mouth from thousands and thousands of feet, a bullet of sugary goodness that slams into your clenched teeth, shattering everything in its treacly wake, sending your head snapping back towards the ground with vomit-inducing quickness, bruising the brain with concussive force, sending the people to the countryside, for the hills, to the underground bunkers, creating a rift in time and space; shull-chips fly from your forehead and shatter nearby windows; your eyes jettison from your sockets, an event that the children of the town run from in fear.

That's how good Burnout 2 will be.  Or it could be just a fun little racer.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2003, 08:37:58 AM »
Sean dude you ever consider a career in writing?
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2003, 08:41:14 AM »
Is it that obvious?  Whooops....  :-)  You're too kind, really.

To keep this on topic:  Burnout Rules!  Haha...
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2003, 12:57:58 PM »
Amen brother.

Nice little piece of writing, it was. Impressive =)