Author Topic: Share Your Favorite Pokemon Memories  (Read 2393 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Share Your Favorite Pokemon Memories
« on: October 12, 2013, 09:44:51 AM »
The latest entries in the Pokemon franchise, Pokemon X and Y, released today, and I thought this would be a good time to reminisce about the series. The games debuted in the west about 15 years ago, and have seen lots of different iterations and spin-offs over that time. What are your favorite memories of the series?

For me, my introduction to Pokemon was also my introduction to handheld gaming. Pokemon Blue was the first game I got with the Game Boy Color I got for Christmas in 1998. I was 10 years old at the time, probably the perfect age to start with Pokemon. The next couple years would be completely dominated by the franchise for me and my friends, with every get-together an opportunity to break out the games and battle and trade.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Share Your Favorite Pokemon Memories
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »
I got Blue & my neighbor got Red when they came out.  We restarted several times so we could both start the game with all 3 starters, and we spent countless hours battling once we both got through the game.

I still have the cartridge lying around somewhere, but I'm pretty sure the battery in the cartridge died, so it won't hold a save.  I've attempted to play a few of the more recent entries, but while the core gameplay is perfectly familiar, the new Pokemon don't hold my interest, and I find the gameplay a bit too simplistic for my tastes.  I think that's more the effect of me having less imagination and ability to forgive poor character design choices.

More than anything, I don't have a neighbor and the seemingly endless free time I had as a child.  Pokemon Blue/Red released at the perfect time for me to get compelled and devour the game series, so I'll always have a fondness for the series, but I imagine if I picked up the new game, I'd most likely find myself disappointed in how it can't live up to my rose-colored glasses of the series.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:15:36 AM »
- Beating someone 6-0 without switching in a random battle w/level balancing for stats, with a Mew and Lugia, and doing it with... SUNKERN.

- Taking on a fat egg with an Alakazam 1-on-1 and winning.

- Finishing the National Pokedex in Emerald, Platinum, and White 2.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 01:34:06 AM »
Getting a Mew and being the kid at summer camp with a Mew.

Being Red in Silver Version.

My HG play-through where I named all my Pokemon the way Gold from the Pokemon Adventures manga nicknamed all his Pokemon. (___-taro)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »
finally beating fire red a few years ago

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »
When my Gen 1 Scyther beat my friends Mew and Mewtwo after he bragged about how great they were in front of other people. Then transferring him from Blue to Gold and discovering 'he' was a she. So I made her the mother of a clan of Scythers and Scizors forever trapped in Gen 2. I never quite recovered from not getting to carry over monsters from G/S to R/S/E.

Really, I think that was my original falling out with Pokemon. I never beat the Elite 4 in a game after original Gold.

Also, there is a Gen 1 Charizard trapped on my Gold game that my sister and I kept trading back and forth as we kept playing through and resetting the game to get multiple legendary and starter monsters. That guy saw us through so many Elite 4 matches. Oddly though my sister lives accross the state, married with kids and a life of her own, she still asks about that Charizard like it is an old family dog or something. That really shows you how much Pokemon shaped my sister and I in our childhood.

The battery powered memory on those games are still running if Nintendo ever decided to give us a way to save them. Pity nothing like that will ever happen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:23:22 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 01:49:48 AM »
I remember going on holiday with my family but ended up spending most of the trip playing Pokémon Blue. It's kind of depressing looking back, but at the time staying inside and playing video games seemed like the right choice (it's not).
Gouge away.