Author Topic: Digesting the Nintendo 2DS, Wii U Price Cut, and Wind Waker Fun  (Read 12378 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Digesting the Nintendo 2DS, Wii U Price Cut, and Wind Waker Fun
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 12:39:58 AM »
I think what makes it underwhelming is that not every Zelda fan or Nintendo fan liked Wind Waker, of all the games to remake that is the most head scratching one for them to release. It was no where near the best Zelda, it was right next door to the worst, which we all know is that worthless Majora's Mask.

As someone whose favorite Zelda IS Majora's Mask, it is my unfortunate duty to inform you that you must now die.  :P:

No, Wind Waker HD is "underwhelming" because that is one deeply flawed game, Nintendo had a chance to fix some of its most glaring flaws, and instead they chose to slap a bandaid on the sailing & Triforce hunt; slap some useless Miiverse **** in there; and call it a day.  And they're doing it all for $60, no less, when the standard for FAR better HD collections on the other platforms with far better games and much more content both existing and new is $40.  Even SQUARE-ENIX isn't charging $60 for their Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X Collections, and they're INFAMOUS for gouging on ports just because they can.  And I'd rather play Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X than take another slog through Wind Waker.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »
And they're doing it all for $60, no less
$50.
I guess we will see how things work out. I am putting my money on Wind Waker being a flop, even with the bundle.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »
A Zelda game flopping? That will be the day...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 01:31:19 AM »
$50.

*looks at Amazon*

Oh, did Nintendo finally settle on a price? They started with $50, raised it to $60, and now we're back at $50. Whatever. My point still stands: it's overpriced for mediocre content and next to nothing worthwhile added.

Offline chilenozo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 02:25:27 AM »
$50.

*looks at Amazon*

Oh, did Nintendo finally settle on a price? They started with $50, raised it to $60, and now we're back at $50. Whatever. My point still stands: it's overpriced for mediocre content and next to nothing worthwhile added.

What about ppl who never played it?...I'm liking the off-tv captures I've seen...I will buy it...for 50 bucks and the corresponding Club Nintendo points :)....I wish I had waited, the Zelda themed gamepad is nice...I don't see WW flopping...ate least it will sell at similar or better number than Pikmin 3, for a WiiU game that's ok.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »
I must confess i have never played Wind Waker

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »
no **** that is my opinion that is what I said. It won't flop by industry standards but it will by Zelda standards lets rephrase it to that.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 10:29:48 AM »
no **** that is my opinion that is what I said.

It's a Big Lebowski reference.  I haven't even seen the movie & I recognized that line.  The meaning could be loosely translated as "whatever", fyi.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »
Wind Waker didn't help Gamecube sales that much when it was a brand new game.  Now it's an old game being re-released.  No one NEEDS a Wii U to play it.  Hell it's already playable on both the Cube and Wii.  I think it's ridiculous to assume that it will be the game to turn the tide on the Wii U.  Only a new game will do that.

If Sony or MS were trying to sell THEIR console on a remake of Halo or God of War would you honestly give them a chance?  What's silly is that the Wii U doesn't need to rely on Wind Waker to sell systems because it HAS new games this Christmas.  That's why I find it so weird that Nintendo chose Zelda for the pack-in instead of Mario or DK.  HD remakes are just filler titles.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
Pack in a Zelda remake because it's a bonus. If Mario and DK are system sellers, people are expected to buy the console for those games anyway. I know you don't care about the business side, but packing in a smaller budget game like a remake makes more sense than packing in a brand new game with a much larger budget.

Everyone likes a bargain so I get what you're saying. While I'd personally prefer Mario or DK, I'd still pick The Wind Waker HD over Nintendo Land.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
I get the logic that you throw the remake in as the freebie because it's worth less and you can get two sales from someone by making them have to buy Mario as a seperate purchase.  I'm concerned more about the marketing where with the Wind Waker bundle being prominent in stores may give the wrong impression.  People might assume that a remake of a Gamecube game is the "best" game on the system because it receives the most promotion.

But really I see too much optimism that Wind Waker is specifically going to sell Wii U's which I think is nuts.  If any game does it this Christmas it will be Mario or DK, so they should get the bulk of the marketing.  It would be a major mistake if Nintendo pushed Wind Waker harder than those games, which hopefully they won't do.  But then I never see any advertising for the Wii U so a game being bundled with the console is going to get more promotion by default unless that changes.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »
There was a time not to long ago when a pack in game was used to sell the system. Oh that is right it was Wii and the game was Wii Sports. If you are going to bundle a game make it a game most of the fans want, so far I have not read any negative comments on getting a new Mario game we haven't played yet, but Wind Waker is a divisive game, there is no denying that, divisive, controversial or not, the game is a decade old.

I am not sure if Nintendo Land was a smart pack in but that was what they chose. SNES had a bunch of pack ins at different times but it sold the most when that games was Mario or Donkey Kong. Zelda is the type of game that sells itself and this is probably why Nintendo is using it as a bundle because they know it won't sell consoles so they are giving it away because it is a throw away maybe? That would make more sense than expecting a decades old highly controversial game to be a big seller.