Author Topic: What You Need To Know About The METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol 1.  (Read 1279 times)

Offline riskman64

• Score: 6
    • View Profile

Here’s your comprehensive rundown, Snake!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/preview/64763/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-metal-gear-solid-master-collection-vol-1

On October 24th, 2023, Konami will be releasing METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol 1., a compilation of multiple Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid titles, but there’s also a veritable treasure trove of bonus materials included in the package. In this video, I’ll be detailing the ways you can purchase these titles physically and digitally, in addition to clarifying everything that’s bundled for each configuration.

To start off with, Konami is making Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater available for purchase separately at an expected retail price of $19.99. Each of these comes with a digital screenplay book–with “A comprehensive collection of cutscene dialogue, briefing files, and scripts for every single one of the series' characteristic Codec calls”–and a digital master book–with “juicy tidbits and notable quotes from characters throughout the Metal Gear saga—plus useful strategy guide info such as maps, hidden item locations, and more.” No other bonus content or material will be available for those who purchase these games separately from the larger MASTER COLLECTION package. These are digital versions that will be available on the Nintendo Switch eShop.

At a retail price of $59.99 is the entire METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol 1., which is already available for pre-order on the eShop. Strap yourselves in because there’s a whole heap of content on offer for this version of the games, which includes:

• Metal Gear
  • Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
  • Metal Gear Solid (Including VR Missions/Special Missions)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection version)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection version)
  • Metal Gear (NES/FC version)
  • Snake's Revenge

In terms of non-game content, the MASTER COLLECTION also features:

Animated Video Content

• Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Digital Graphic Novel

Digital Books (many of which do come when purchasing the Metal Gear Solid games separately)

• Metal Gear Solid: Screenplay Book
  • Metal Gear Solid: Master Book
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Screenplay Book
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Master Book
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Screenplay Book
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Master Book
  • Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Screenplay Book
  • Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Master Book

Soundtrack

• Metal Gear Solid: Digital Soundtrack

Those eager to go physical with their Switch games will be disappointed (but perhaps not surprised) to learn that the retail boxed version of METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol 1. comes with some hefty required downloads. In fact, it would appear that none of the games from the package are actually playable on the cart without a download. Stand by for some specifics on download sizes:

• Physical Version: 24.1GB ( *Front loaded onto cartridge 2.4GB )
  • METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Version: 4.8GB (3.4GB if you don't include METAL GEAR and METAL GEAR 2: Solid Snake
  • METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Sons of Liberty - Master Collection Version: 8.0GB
  • METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater - Master Collection Version: 12.2GB
  • Bonus Content: 1.0GB + 30 GB for bonus videos

Finally, in terms of performance, I had an opportunity to go hands-on with each of the Metal Gear Solid titles during a Konami preview event, and while every version of them is targeting 1080p (except for the Switch in Portable Mode at 720p), the Switch releases are capped at 30FPS in both docked and handheld configurations. Those looking for a 60FPS framerate may want to pick up these games on a different platform.

All in all, the sheer amount of bonus content on offer makes METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol 1. a fairly interesting value proposition, especially for those who want to start the series from the beginning. That said, the Switch version may not be the best place to do so for anyone concerned about performance or anyone who wants to pick up the boxed edition. There have been some clear sacrifices made to get the Metal Gear Solid titles running on Nintendo’s platform, but if that’s your only or preferred option, then the eShop version of the MASTER COLLECTION looks like the best way to go. We’ll have a full review of the entire package closer to launch, so hide under a box if you must, but keep your binoculars trained on NWRTV!

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: What You Need To Know About The METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol 1.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 11:06:36 AM »
I recently saw a similar PS3 collection of some of these games. Does anyone know how these compare?

Offline riskman64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 05:04:33 PM »
I recently saw a similar PS3 collection of some of these games. Does anyone know how these compare?

The versions of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 in the Master Collection are those from the HD Collection you're referring to. That earlier compilation also had Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, a PSP game, which isn't in the Master Collection coming next month.

The Master Collection has Metal Gear Solid from PSX, which the HD Collection doesn't. That's the main difference: Peace Walker being swapped for Metal Gear Solid.

There was a later version on PS3 called The Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, which I believe had Metal Gear Solid 4 and codes for Metal Gear Solid 1 and MGS1 VR Missions, in addition to all of the HD Collection titles, so that was the biggest package of games. The Master Collection does seem to have more non-game bonus materials, though!

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 06:52:51 PM »
It would have been nice if the version of Metal Gear Solid was the GameCube version (The Twin Snakes) since that had so many improvements.

Offline riskman64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 10:48:55 PM »
It would have been nice if the version of Metal Gear Solid was the GameCube version (The Twin Snakes) since that had so many improvements.

Definitely. I think they went with the PSX version since they had already ported it with the previous HD and Legacy Collections.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 11:03:47 AM »

We'll probably never see Twin Snakes again. For one, who knows if anyone still has the source code to that thing. Konami is notoriously awful at holding onto their source code, ESPECIALLY from games in the PS2/GameCube era, and Silicon Knights no longer exists. You also have Nintendo assets in that game, so that would have to be removed. It was also custom-built for the GameCube, so there would be issues porting it.

For another, the MGS fanbase despises Twin Snakes. I remember at the time all the complaints about how Twin Snakes "ruined" the boss fights by giving the 1st person perspective option. The fanbase also wasn't fond at the time of all the new motion-captured fight scene cinematics, which is ironic considering how it would eventually embrace MGS Rising.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 08:24:22 PM »
I'll bet you it is a less massive mess similar to Goldeneye on the N64 in terms of licensing. Considering Nintendo funded and oversaw the development I'll bet they have copies of the source code. Our best shot at getting a re-release of it is if they ever do a Gamecube Switch Online service add on.

I'm super glad I snagged it and Beyond Good and Evil for Gamecube right before I got a Wii. Twin Snakes was one of the rare two disc games on that system.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast