Author Topic: Nightdive Studios Announces Star Wars, Turok 3 Remasters  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nightdive Studios Announces Star Wars, Turok 3 Remasters
« on: August 23, 2023, 05:26:01 PM »

Do you want to dance with the dinosaurs, or are you taking your money to see a star war?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/64637/nightdive-studios-announces-star-wars-turok-3-remasters

Nightdive Studios have announced a pair of first person shooter remasters that cover a couple of forms of science fiction.

To coincide with Gamescom, Nightdive have confirmed remasters of Star Wars: Dark Forces and Turok 3: Shadows of Oblivion for release: Dark Forces does not have a confirmed release date, but Turok 3 will be available on Switch November 14. Both remasters will be developed in the company's "Kex" engine.

Dark Forces (1995) released for DOS and Mac OS version 7, and was a first person shooter in the vein of Doom. The remaster promises remastered "cutscenes and content".

Turok 3: Shadows of Oblivion (2000) was developed by the former Iguana Entertainment (then known as Acclaim Studios Austin) and was the capper to the N64 trilogy of single player first person shooters. It should not be confused with the multiplayer-focused Turok: Rage Wars released the prior year.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Nightdive Studios Announces Star Wars, Turok 3 Remasters
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 05:13:06 PM »
Just a warning that while this studio does a great job remastering old games, especially N64 games, they dropped the Turok 2 multiplayer mode on Switch. So if you really want that wait to hear from reviewers or buy it on PC and use your game controllers for the full game.

@Shaymin just a heads up that you mentioning it is the third in a series of "single player first person shooters" may be misleading to some folks. The first had no multiplayer, but the second and third had full multiplayer modes alongside the story content in the N64 originals. Considering the port of Turok 2 for Switch did not include the multiplayer (unless it was patched in and I missed it) I feel it is important that readers know the differences.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 02:02:37 PM »
I was surprised to see this happening, since it didn't have a PC version, and am glad it is! I hope this one also has online multiplayer since it was a real laugh riot.

Considering the port of Turok 2 for Switch did not include the multiplayer (unless it was patched in and I missed it)
I guess you did miss it, because Turok 2 does have multiplayer on Switch now. I'm not sure when it was updated, but I played quite a few online matches when it was populated, which unfortunately was short-lived. But fun while it lasted!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 12:27:06 PM »
I was surprised to see this happening, since it didn't have a PC version, and am glad it is! I hope this one also has online multiplayer since it was a real laugh riot.

Considering the port of Turok 2 for Switch did not include the multiplayer (unless it was patched in and I missed it)
I guess you did miss it, because Turok 2 does have multiplayer on Switch now. I'm not sure when it was updated, but I played quite a few online matches when it was populated, which unfortunately was short-lived. But fun while it lasted!

That's wonderful to hear! I may jump on the Turok 3 train then to relive some of my classic N64 FPS memories.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast