Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 491010 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: The Conduit
« Reply #2050 on: July 07, 2009, 04:46:54 AM »
Brood is sexist, that is why he doesn't like Overlord. ;)

Seriously out of all the games you could compare it to, you compare it to Persona? The game is more like Pikmin (which was like Dungeon Keeper in many ways).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: July 07, 2009, 05:45:36 AM »
Well, GoldenPhoenix, I have good news and bad news for you:

Good News - I've made up my mind, and I'm going to pick up the Conduit tommorow.  My local GameStop just can't seem to get rid of their last copy of the Special Edition, so now seems as good a time as any.

Bad News - To bring the price down to about what I can afford (and in some cases consider the game is worth), I'm going to be sacrificing my copies of Infamous and (through return) Overlord: Raising Hell.  Sorry, GP, but I'm just not enjoying Overlord like I thought I would after playing the demo.  It's become something of a monotonous dungeon grind, and I get enough of that in the RPGs I'm already playing (Persona 4, anyone?  ^_- ).  And with all the Sweeping Action every 2 seconds to make sure my minions go where they're needed, I'm feeling more like an evil air traffic controller than an evil overlord.  Also, my Wii's still out on loan, so I won't have that back till the weekend.  I'm sure there's more than a few people who have just been itching to shoot me, so after a bit of time with the Single-Player I'll throw out my Friend Code and I'll give online a shot.

Yay! I'm glad you decided to try it. Looking forward to seeing you online soon. We've got a pretty good NWR turnout online and I always see a few of us online every day.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: July 07, 2009, 09:11:13 AM »
Agree. It's a good way to stalk on particular opponent if the need arises

I <3 Stalking  ;D I like to chant their name in freaky voices when they are you guys I know.

Hey Guys... When i add your FC's it just remains the number... Will it ever change to a name. or must i always recognize you as the number that destroyed me

I'm surprised no ones answered this for you yet. They will change, Patch. You have to be online with that person at the same time. It's the same in Mario Kart, BWii and any other game with online on Wii.

Thanks Stratos... I havn't played much online with my Wii. I believe Mario Strikers was the only game i went online with friends.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: July 07, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »
$15 used at Gamestop then Newegg has the AC:CF bundle for $35.

The manager at the Gamestop nearest me said she'd never seen a used Wii Speak come back in. So, you may be out of luck there, BwrJim. And if you don't want to hassle with selling a copy of a game you don't want to keep just to get the Wii Speak, you could try ebay. There's a seller (not related in any way to me, it just seems like a decent deal) selling Factory-sealed/New Wii Speaks with Buy-It-Now for 16.96, with 4.50-something S&H. So, that may be a better option... at least it's more tempting to me.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: July 07, 2009, 11:19:41 AM »
Brood is sexist, that is why he doesn't like Overlord. ;)

Seriously out of all the games you could compare it to, you compare it to Persona? The game is more like Pikmin (which was like Dungeon Keeper in many ways).

No, I was just noting that like Persona there's a tendency towards lengthy dungeon grinding.  I've been comparing it to Pikmin since I first tried it, or maybe you didn't see my post from when I played the demo.  It's just...not as fun in the end as Pikmin.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: July 07, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
Your reticule doesn't get locked on to the enemy, just the cameras focus. I don't see how that is cheap when you still have to aim at your opponent.

Because aiming at your opponent now consists of pointing at a non-moving target locked in position on your screen.

Have you played the game at all? The camera does't zero in on the player like you make it seem (non-moving target), it still jumps around a bit especially when the player you're locked in is running and jumping around. The only time there'd be a non-moving target on screen, its because the other guy is stupid enough to keep still and deserves to be shot; with lock-on or not.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: July 07, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »
Just got back my GS with my copy of The Conduit.  Ooh...shiny... ;)  Turns out the store still had like 5 copies of the SE behind the counter...that's not encouraging.  I thought about getting the WiiSpeak, but they didn't have any used ones and $30 is way more than I'll pay for that thing.

Hey, on the back cover it mentions this version of the game having a custom ASE and an unlockable Agent skin.  I could have sworn I read that the custom ASE was a physical object you got when you pre-ordered.  Are these things in the regular version of the game as well, or are these truly exclusive to this version of the game?

Oh, and it turns out that I'll be getting my Wii back tonight.  My best friend's coming over to game out on some stuff, so I asked him to bring the Wii back along with him.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: July 07, 2009, 12:29:13 PM »
Just got back my GS with my copy of The Conduit.  Ooh...shiny... ;)  Turns out the store still had like 5 copies of the SE behind the counter...that's not encouraging.  I thought about getting the WiiSpeak, but they didn't have any used ones and $30 is way more than I'll pay for that thing.

Hey, on the back cover it mentions this version of the game having a custom ASE and an unlockable Agent skin.  I could have sworn I read that the custom ASE was a physical object you got when you pre-ordered.  Are these things in the regular version of the game as well, or are these truly exclusive to this version of the game?

Oh, and it turns out that I'll be getting my Wii back tonight.  My best friend's coming over to game out on some stuff, so I asked him to bring the Wii back along with him.

No they aren't exclusive to that version, you can unlock them with a simple code (NWR had the exclusive reveal of the final promo code a week or so ago).

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: July 07, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »
Just got back my GS with my copy of The Conduit.  Ooh...shiny... ;)  Turns out the store still had like 5 copies of the SE behind the counter...that's not encouraging.

In my experience special editions aren't very special and get overproduced just like the regular edition.  I just don't think they send more then the shitload they get with the original batch.  I remember when Halo 2 came out and hearing about the new special edition for preorders and getting one thinking it would be neat.  Soon I realized that anyone who walked into the store for the first three weeks could pick it up because they had so many copies.  It didn't feel very special and that was the game that seemed to start this trend on consoles.  SE's are a joke.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2059 on: July 07, 2009, 01:19:16 PM »
Well, you can't walk into a store now and get the SE of the original Gears of War (new), but you can very easily get the greatest hits one. I'm glad to have the SE packages that I do have. Doom4 and Halo2 have such neat packages, I wish they would have continued the packaging into this generation.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: July 07, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »
Halo 3 special editions, especially the Helmet one can STILL be found.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 07, 2009, 02:20:08 PM »
When it comes to in game related features, generally there isn't much to them. At least on the Wii anyway. It would be a tad insane if the game designers programmed the game differently solely for Game Stop customers.

Anyone know if you can still get The Conduit comic if you order the game on Amazon?
Mission...complete?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 07, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
Have you played the game at all? The camera does't zero in on the player like you make it seem (non-moving target), it still jumps around a bit especially when the player you're locked in is running and jumping around. The only time there'd be a non-moving target on screen, its because the other guy is stupid enough to keep still and deserves to be shot; with lock-on or not.

Yeah, I played it at a friend's. It allows some wobble room but it still locks them on your screen. The fact that the camera lock ensures that they will never leave your screen is far too cheap for me.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 07, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »

Yeah, I played it at a friend's. It allows some wobble room but it still locks them on your screen. The fact that the camera lock ensures that they will never leave your screen is far too cheap for me.

Fair enough, but your initial post on the matter made it seem as if one could lock on to a character and just press the fire button until they were dead, with no effort on their part. If that was the case then i'd agree its cheap, but its not so i still stand by my opinion that its a nice feature especially for beginners.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 07, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
I view it like auto-aim in Perfect Dark. I'll use it in single-player, but I would never ever ever use it in multiplayer.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 07, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »
Even the auto-aim in PD wasn't usefull (in multiplayer) because players moved to fast to make any use of it, so thats another feature i don't see as cheap.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 07, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »
At least this SE has a better cover.
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: July 07, 2009, 04:48:21 PM »
At least this SE has a better cover.

I like the cheesy 80s sci-fi look better :P

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: July 07, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »
Played through the first single-player level.  Spent 5 minutes actually playing the level, 20+ trying to reconfigure the controls to something comfortable.  I still haven't found that "sweet spot" on the controls yet, where everything's mapped as I would like and the turning is around the speed of a two-analog stick FPS.  I keep getting either too slow or too fast on the turning, so I keep getting something that feels "floaty".  They definitely picked a rather uninteresting and graphically-unimpressive level to start things off in, but it is only the first level.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 07, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »
Played through the first single-player level.  Spent 5 minutes actually playing the level, 20+ trying to reconfigure the controls to something comfortable.  I still haven't found that "sweet spot" on the controls yet, where everything's mapped as I would like and the turning is around the speed of a two-analog stick FPS.  I keep getting either too slow or too fast on the turning, so I keep getting something that feels "floaty".  They definitely picked a rather uninteresting and graphically-unimpressive level to start things off in, but it is only the first level.

It is mainly a training level. Controls do take time but once you get them right it is great. It is almost overwhelming to have so many options in regards to how you want your controls!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: July 07, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
I still haven't changed from the default.
My Game Collection

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: July 07, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »

Things get much more interesting as you move on... I prefer levels where you are not confined to hallway after hallway, but rather given streets where you can see landscapes, makes the game feel larger... even though you are still basically locked in a hallway (only a street this time)

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: July 07, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »
I still haven't changed from the default.

I changed my bounding box size, bumped up the sensitivity a bit, and max'd the vertical look constraints. Would like a better control for my melee attack, as currently it spazzes out my view when I try to smash someone. Ends up in a lot of flailing around... :P
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: July 07, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »
I've thought about remapping the melee to the grenade swapping button to avoid that, and I may also up my turning speed.

You can increase your vertical look?!? Looks like I have to change soon, then.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 07, 2009, 05:13:05 PM »
Is there any reason to even use Melee, or crouching for that matter?  If there's an issue I have with the controls, it's that there's something mapped to everything so it's difficult to map everything I want to use where I can most easily use them.  I suppose the odd placement of the Wii buttons themselves is to blame for that, as it always feels wierd to use the D-Pad for button commands in Wii games.  Right now I have Zoom on Up, ASE on Left, NW on Right, Spin on Down, Rel/Pick on A, Crouch on -, Pause on +, Next Grenade on 1, Score on 2, Jump on C, Lock on Z, and the motion controls set to defaults.

I'm tempted to banish commands I'm never going to use (like crouching or Melee) to buttons I'll never use (like 1 and 2, which are just way too far out of the way) just so I can free up the more useful buttons.