Author Topic: Metroid Prime Trilogy for $85 Question  (Read 12583 times)

Offline EJtheK

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime Trilogy for $85 Question
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Hello all,

I have a question about this Metroid Prime Trilogy Gamestop ‘deal’ that’s going on right now.

As many of you are probably aware, Gamestop is selling this most excellent trilogy for $85.  I’m one of the people who snoozed too long and missed out on this when it was new.  :-[ 

I am interested in this $85 copy, but I want to know if this comes with the steelbook case, art book, manual, etc.  They are pre-owned, but rumor has it that some of the ‘vintage’ games Gamestop is selling are ‘like new.’  This seemed to be the case with many of their Xenoblade copies.  :confused; 

Does anyone have experience with this?  Does anyone know if these games are coming complete with all original contents/packaging minus shrink wrap?

Thanks!  :cool; 

EJtheK

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime Trilogy for $85 Question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
Probably depends on the GameStop and what they got in. Really, just look at it before you buy. As a rule, I never buy used games unless it has the original cover and manual. You're looking for the steel case so that's pretty difficult to miss.

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
Probably depends on the GameStop and what they got in. Really, just look at it before you buy. As a rule, I never buy used games unless it has the original cover and manual. You're looking for the steel case so that's pretty difficult to miss.

Thanks!  Good point.  I was hoping to buy online (using some promo codes for $15 off and free shipping  ;) ), but it's probably best to see it to ensure.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
I'm really interested in picking this up too, and I am only interested if it is 100% complete as well. Someone from another forum I visit said that although they may have been lucky, the copy they bought was 100% there and the Club Nintendo points were unused. Apparently it even felt and smelt like new. This is just one person's account though, so take that into consideration.

I wouldn't mind paying $85, but the fact that I'm in Canada and the exchange rate plus the $20 international shipping fee will push the price over $100 for three games that I already own in some other form makes it tough to pull the trigger.

EDIT: Apparently if you use the code GUST15 you can get $15 off the order.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:22:39 PM by Retro Deckades »

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
EDIT: Apparently if you use the code GUST15 you can get $15 off the order.

Thanks for the reply and the tip!  Good luck with your decision.  Sorry to hear that the international rates make it tough.  This collection is definitely a gem.

GUST15 is definitely one of the promos I wanted to use.  Thanks for spreading the tip.  I think you can stack with SAVER here in the US, which adds free shipping as well.  That's one of the main reasons I want to try an online order.  I'm just worried it won't be 100% as you are also concerned with.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 03:44:44 PM »
I would think online orders would be more likely to be the "new" copies, unless they took the time to ship the traded-in copies back to the main warehouse. I'm fairly certain this and Xenoblade were out of stock on the web site prior to the reprinting.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
I wonder if GameStop actually just took a bunch of copies off the shelves long ago because they knew it would become a rare game and could make a lot more money off of it down the road.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
Those are both very good points.  Perhaps I'll give online a shot.  I think there is a return policy after all.

I'm very interested to see how this goes down...  I'll keep folks posted if I do this.  Anyone else jumping in?

EJtheK

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
Considering jumping in for about $80 CAD after stacking coupons. Will also be shipping to an American mailbox just across the border to eliminate the shipping costs.

I'm still debating whether or not to go for it. It's a cool collection, but the reality is that I don't NEED to own this. The question is, do I want it enough? If anyone out there wants to weigh in and try to convince me one way or another, feel free!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »
I don't know why Nintendo doesn't just reprint copies because their is an obvious demand for it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
I wonder if GameStop actually just took a bunch of copies off the shelves long ago because they knew it would become a rare game and could make a lot more money off of it down the road.

With this one, I dunno. Wasn't this one still hard to come by after a second printing? I mean, you were just as likely (or unlikely as it were) to find it in Target as you were GS.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
I don't know why Nintendo doesn't just reprint copies because their is an obvious demand for it.

The Triology was intended from the start to be a limited edition. And unfortunately, Nintendo believes in keeping editions limited.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
It will have stickers on it most likely, regardless. Those can be hard to peel off. Super adhesive or something!  :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
Steam?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 08:05:16 PM »
I'm still debating whether or not to go for it. It's a cool collection, but the reality is that I don't NEED to own this. The question is, do I want it enough? If anyone out there wants to weigh in and try to convince me one way or another, feel free!

It's definitely a very cool collection!  However, if you already own them I definitely understand the hesitation.  I actually do not own them and haven't played them (I know this is awful!), so I figure I sort of have to do this.  If I already owned them in their original form, I'd be tempted to buy it anyway because it is awesome; but, you never know ... these could also see HD remakes sometime way down the line (depending upon the success of Wind Waker HD, of course).

It will have stickers on it most likely, regardless. Those can be hard to peel off. Super adhesive or something!  :(

Yes.  They will.  It's obnoxious!  However, as @nickmitch said, steam helps a lot.  Also, a little isopropyl alcohol can also work wonders if you don't go overboard.  That's what I'm hoping anyway...

---

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't buy the Trilogy actually. I almost did. The only collector's edition game I have is GTAIV which I've ever opened.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »
Most likely you'll only get the standard version if you buy used.

Are you buying it for an collection or just to play the game?  If you're just interested in the games you could also just go with GC versions of MP 1 and 2 and buy MP3 (WII) for cheap--like $-30-40 for all three games.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »
Promo code CAG16 gives you 16% off. :D

Anywhoo, as much as I hate GameStop, I will point out that ordering online from them is pretty hassle free.  Why?  Because of their return policy.

You have seven days to return used games in-store if you are not "completely satisfied".  So, order a copy (or seven) and return them until you get one that's in a condition that leaves you "completely satisfied".
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
Although I own a copy, I still kind of feel ripped off that our copies in Europe didn't come with the limited edition case. I usually don't care about that kind of thing, but the Prime trilogy is one of my favourite collections of games. It would have been neat to have it in a cool metal case rather than a plastic and cardboard sleeve.
Gouge away.

Offline EJtheK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
I have an update.

I talked to a good Game Stop manager.  He told me that regardless of what the overall condition may be, he can tell me that they do not accept any Metroid Prime Trilogy trade-ins without the steelbook case.  Therefore, it's possible a copy might not be the best shape and could be missing the manual, art book, etc., but at least it will have its case.

I really want it to be complete and in good shape for this price, but there's the 7-day return policy.  Therefore, if I don't like the condition, I can return it and invest more in an eBay copy.  ;)

Either way, I'll keep people posted on this gamble for the benefit of the community.  There is a chance this is Like New based on the Xenoblade stories.  :cool;

Promo code CAG16 gives you 16% off. :D

Anywhoo, as much as I hate GameStop, I will point out that ordering online from them is pretty hassle free.  Why?  Because of their return policy.

You have seven days to return used games in-store if you are not "completely satisfied".  So, order a copy (or seven) and return them until you get one that's in a condition that leaves you "completely satisfied".

Thanks.  This is a very good point.  At the end of the day, this is a low risk gamble.  It could be almost brand new for much less than the eBay going rate.  If it's not in good shape, I'll take it back.

Most likely you'll only get the standard version if you buy used.

Are you buying it for an collection or just to play the game?  If you're just interested in the games you could also just go with GC versions of MP 1 and 2 and buy MP3 (WII) for cheap--like $-30-40 for all three games.

I'm buying it for both.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't played these, so I need to just play them.  However, I love the collection, and I would love to use the Wii controls.  That's why I'm considering the larger investment.

Offline JLoverde

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »
Hello EjtheK,I just received my Metroid Prime Trilogy from GameStop via UPS not more than 25 minutes ago. It is -not- the Steelbook case edition.

I believe the reason why that GS Manager had said that they only take Steelbook versions in as trades; is because up until all North American versions had been the "Collector's Edition" Steelbook Case version. And since the Wii is region locked, GS would not take in other, "plastic-case", editions of this trilogy as they would have been EU or PAL.
Anyways, as to its condition; the game (plastic case, disc and booklet) are all in immaculate condition. However, the game is not indicated as a "Collector's Edition" in any way, nor does it come with any of the bonus originally included with the "New" copy of the game back in 2009-early 2010. This is obviously a reprint of -at least- the plastic casing and booklet. (I can send photos upon request)

Anyways, I'm rambling now~ I hope that answers your question. Have a wonderful day :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:31:47 PM by JLoverde »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »
(I can send photos upon request)
I'd like to see it, I'm curious what it looks like.

Offline JLoverde

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 01:50:29 PM »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
That is so stupid. I feel for you man. At that price it should come with the steelbook case.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 09:20:56 PM »
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/jonathanloverde/IMG_3059_zps7b9c8f23.jpg
Ah, thanks. Would it be possible to get a shot of it with the case open, to see the inside and the manual?