Author Topic: ARMS  (Read 24856 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Re: ARMS: Get your Virtua On!
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't say terrible...but it's a $60 arcade game where everyone basically has the same moves.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
That's so inaccurate, I almost feel bad for you.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »
It's not *that* inaccurate.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
Tried the test fire. Here are my thoughts.

- Graphics are stunning
- Motion controls are best for combat, but harder for movement.
- Controller is better for movement, but not as good for combat.
- The lobby makes no sense. I guess you just get thrown in to matches randomly?
- Min Min is my favorite fighter to play so far.
- Helix is TERRIBLE to play and even to look at.
- The character movement seems very slow
- Multiplayer matches are frustrating. I feel like I need a lock on.
- Punching does feel quite right. I guess it isn't punching, it's launching attacks
- Grabbing feels food
- Volleyball is terrible
- I lost interest after about 30 minutes. I don't know if I want to buy it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
I actually really like VBall.  Not super sure what all the hate is.  It's frustrating when there's 4 people and everyone is just recklessly throwing punches however.  The opponent being able to hit the ball when it's way on your side and you team mate being able to hit you are bummers.  But I found the one-on-one to be great.  There's some technique there, and I was once able to win a match 5-0.

The one-on-one seems to be consistently better than group affairs.  They're just too chaotic/confusing.  I was in one match where I got double-teamed the entire time.  I lost very quickly.  There was another time where I just backed away and let the other two fighters duke it out, which worked surprisingly well.  That doesn't work as well with four people.

As for the stages, the spring-man stage feels cramped; the ninja guy stage feels too long, and the stairs make it kind of annoying; the helix stage feels crowded with all the obstacles.  They all-in-all are ok with what I see more as drawbacks than features. 

To some of ShyGuy's points, there is kind of a lock on.  You're basically targeting one of the opponents.  You can switch with either the right stick (traditional) or the face buttons (motion).  I also didn't care for the lobby too much.  It just feels like I'm stuck with the same pool of people for the whole time.  I guess they match you with 7 others for one lobby and then they randomly assign matches from that.  I had one instance where one of my matches ended early, and I had to wait for everyone else to get done so I could be assigned a match.  Other than that one specific instance, I felt the matches started pretty quickly.  The warm up option is really nice to have for the little down time.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2017, 10:27:20 AM »
- Multiplayer matches are frustrating. I feel like I need a lock on.

I only played for about 4 matches, and got one 3 player free-for-all match.  THIS was the most glaring issue I had with the match, the game couldn't decide which of the two opponents I should be facing, and basically ended up being able to direct my attacks on neither, got steamrolled.

The 1v1 worked much better, and I actually walked away with no losses in those matches.  This game could really benefit from a "free weekend" like Overwatch does, once it's released in its full version.  Maybe many would walk away feeling like they've played enough of it afterwards though.  I need to catch and spend a whole hour when they have the next Test Punch, to be sure. 

The problem is I think my kids are awake during the rest of them, which makes it tough for me to try it out without being interrupted constantly.

Still a wait-and-see for me, I have lots of competitive games i've been sinking my time into lately, so it's tough for me to squeeze this in, given that.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2017, 04:02:00 AM »
yeah, switching targets with the left joycon face buttons is bad, and uh...

I ended up being really sore after an hour of playing this game. won a LOT with Master Mummy, and his regen trait is great for three way dances, but... yeah. The Test Punch really curbed my expectations on this one quite a bit, which is a crying shame because the character design here is SO good and there's clearly effort put in. also, with motion controls, I found myself accidentally grabbing when I'd try to go for a block, so... yeah.

This game would have made a hella cool arcade game. or would have been neat with a crazy Steel Batallion style controllers, but it just... doesn't cut it as is.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
yeah, switching targets with the left joycon face buttons is bad, and uh...

so THAT'S how you switch targets.  I don't recall them mentioning it at all in the intro tutorial.

This might be a "wait for a sale" title for me.  I think the core gameplay is fun (and is the closest I'll get to virtua-on style gameplay, if a bit slower), but I can hold out to see if my local target or Amazon decides to offload some excess stock.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
For some reason, Amazon listed Arms for $50.55 at some point which means I'm guaranteed that price for pre-ordering. With Prime, I'm basically getting this game for around $40. I think I can live with that.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2017, 09:35:20 AM »
Just going to post the Testpunch times for this weekend again for anyone like me playing them

2nd June, 2017
5pm PDT / 6pm MDT / 7pm CDT / 8pm EDT

3rd June, 2017
5am PDT / 6am MDT / 7am CDT / 8am EDT
11am PDT / 12pm MDT / 1pm CDT / 2pm EDT
5pm PDT / 6pm MDT / 7pm CDT / 8pm EDT

4th June, 2017
5am PDT / 6am MDT / 7am CDT / 8am EDT
11am PDT / 12pm MDT / 1pm CDT / 2pm EDT
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »
Don't underestimate the power of DAT ASS

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
Finally got a chance to play some of the beta. Some quick thoughts.

- There's a bit of nuance here but the controllers aren't helping. Played with the Pro Controller and the game at times wants you to do things but the layout just doesn't seem optimized for it. Maybe things will get better once I learn the fighters and arm combinations.
- Min Min is confirmed best girl <3
- I already feel like I hate the lobby system. Sticking with the same 7-8 players on the same lobby isn't ideal. I really hope the game refreshes once every few matches and I sure as hell hope it won't be the same in ranked mode.
- 2v2 is an absolute dumpster fire and I hope there's an option to never play it. Locking on to targets it's clunky and there's just too much mayhem, and not even the good kind.
- Played a bit with Twintelle and Ribbon Girl but their movesets didn't click as fast as they did with Min Min.

I'm still not sold on the game. I will wait for reviews but for now let's say I'm intrigued by the potential depth it might hold.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
I've mostly settled on Mechanica as my main so far, though I still need to put in more time on a few of them.

I was very indifferent toward volleyball last week, but I really like basketball.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2017, 01:44:50 PM »
Experiencing very little lag in ARMS? That's because, according to producer Kosuke Yabuki, the brief period of time in which the characters' ARMS extend actually absorbs online lag in order to keep the matches running as smoothly as possible.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
Played Min Min exclusively for this last hour with her curvy spinny arms and had a blast. Had two great battles with Twintelle players which I only won by building up my special. I think this game is slowly sucking me in even though I still have a lot to learn. Need to incorporate jumps a lot more as my game has been pretty ground based so far.

110 points!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2017, 11:57:18 AM »
You guys stick in the same group all the time? I popped out of groups manually every once in awhile once I hit around 20-30 points to mix things up with other players, reset my score in the hopes it wouldn't pair me against pros, and also because I felt like the lobby wasn't giving me the hedlok fights I so desperately wanted!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »
I only did it to see how high my score could get. I don't like that the lobbies don't cycle players after a while. Matchmaking is very odd as well. It can pair me with the same person 3 times before it puts me in a fight with someone closer to my score even though we're both waiting to be matched.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
Wow.  I think I got to 85 in the last hour.  Impressive.

I think I'm actually sold on this game after the second weekend.  I adjusted to using the the triggers for punching, which is way better than the face buttons.  The hoops matches are really fun and add a nice twist to one-on-one combat.  I liked that throws were the only way to score as well.

I think the best part about weekend 2 was that I didn't get into any free-for-all matches.  Tag matches were still a weak point.  I noticed when I knocked someone down, it auto-targeted the other opponent, but the one I knocked down was still targeting me.  The made defending tougher.

The boss battles are really fun.  I was confused as to what was going on at first though.  Hedlock appeared to be a giant robot head with human legs.  I think it took my 3rd boss battle to realize he was the head, and they just put him over one random fighter.  Either way, a co-operative 3 player match is way better than 3 player free-for-alls.  It was especially fun once people in my room learned to work together. I.e., by not punching people out of their throwing animations.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2017, 11:24:45 PM »
Hedlock battles are terrible. Hoops are great matches. Skill Shots are also fun.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2017, 01:33:20 AM »
FORUM RULES

* Thread titles should clearly indicate the content of the post.

You want to change up the title or give it a new subtitle, that's fine. But I think the name ARMS should be in it somehow to actually explain what this topic is and allow others to know what it is about.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
This thread was about attempting to hype a new IP from Nintendo that nobody believed in because they hated motion controls. Now that the demo has been played, people have changed their opinion because- surprise- they can play the game almost uninhibited without motion controls.

ARMS has failed to execute on its premise, and therefore, doesn't deserve to be hyped. It's dead to me, and I'd rather not be associated with the discussion of the game anymore if the whole reason for my initial excitement represents the minority of the player base. Make a new topic of you want.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2017, 11:20:07 AM »
Hedlock battles are terrible. Hoops are great matches. Skill Shots are also fun.

What?!  I really liked those.  I thought having 3 people play co-operatively felt refreshing.  The boss felt sufficiently powerful to make the 3-on-1 competitive/challenging.  The fact that he had six ARMS was also kinda funny.  Admittedly, I could see it getting kind of tired once people figure out a good strategy (which started to happen on my last chance with the demo).  But hopefully there will be some more variety in the bosses themselves.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
Headlock battles are a mess really. It's very easy to get in the way of the other players and break up their combos/ultimates. Given the short time given to beat the boss you need all 3 players to be on the same page from the start and guess what, this game don't have voice chat blah blah blah. It's not a mode I want to play really.

ARMS has failed to execute on its premise, and therefore, doesn't deserve to be hyped. It's dead to me, and I'd rather not be associated with the discussion of the game anymore if the whole reason for my initial excitement represents the minority of the player base. Make a new topic of you want.

Cool story. This is still an ARMS thread.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
I've found that you need to fan out and just stop punching when someone's throwing animation starts.  Successful boss battles I've had involves players doing this.  The ultimates are kinda tricky since you can knock the boss down, making him not-punchable, and it doesn't really help to launch multiple at a time.