Author Topic: A thread on why there is no thread on Geist on this board.  (Read 28083 times)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:A thread on why there is no thread on Geist on this board.
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 01:13:26 PM »
Well it is official in case anyone missed it.  Geist is delayed to August.  They only get to release this game one time.  I think they should keep it until at least November to have two big mature titles to release against MS' lineup.  If this game is really fun then Nintendo will have one more Cube game to talk about when they bring up backwards compatibility.  As I already said above they can only release the game once, so they should take their pretty time and think of this game as more of the last game for the Cube.  They can make this game a real savior for the REV launch.  Many gamers are not going to pick this Geist up on the Cube, but when the REV roles around people are going to give this game a second look.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 06:58:16 PM »
Actually i think they should just move Geist to the Revolution personally.
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2005, 01:02:43 AM »
I don't know if I would go so far as to say I would wait for this game on REV.  Maybe they could make it so Geist is able to make use of the REV's revolutionary controller as no other Cube game can; that would make great replayability.  A really good reason to play old games on REV.  I wish they would do that with the new Zelda.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2005, 01:10:19 AM »
No! I cannot wait any longer for Zelda! Must be released this very moment.........although i have no interest in geist........sexual or professional interest.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: A thread on why there is no thread on Geist on this board.
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2005, 07:02:08 AM »
A delay to Revolution might be cool because it would mean a lot more to Nintendo as a launch or near-launch title on a new console than an unheard-of game on an aging system, but I agree that it would need to make some unique use of the Revolution's capabilities to make the wait worthwhile.  Also, the Cube can really use pretty much any games it gets this year.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2005, 10:13:13 AM »
CLARIFICATION NEEDED!

Does Nintendo own N-Space? Like, a controlling share?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2005, 12:18:51 PM »
Last I heard it was simply an exclusive publishing deal.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 01:46:09 PM »
I guess it depends how good Geist is at this point. There's damned little coming out for the Cube this summer, so if its finally ready it could be the big Cube release of the summer. Making it a Rev launch title, it runs the risk of being lost in the shuffle behind Metroid and SSB. Then again if they push the release date back much more its going to get lost behind Zelda anyhow.  

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 10:23:43 PM »
I'd rather they just get it out as soon as they feel their done (preferably sooner than later) and then make a sequel on Rev with some good online play.  Plus this way if it for some reason sucks they can maybe re-use the main idea which is awesome, but fix the gameplay.

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2005, 08:59:18 PM »
It will blow if it becomes a rev title. I have been waiting for a while.

That said, i think it would be a good idea to make it a launch title for the Rev. If the Rev is to suceed it needs quality launch titles, especially in the Mature realm for that media outlets and the public as a whole drop the tiku tiku tiku!  image/mentality of the Cube. One has to be a new franshise type so Giest will fit the bill. I dont think it will be lost in the shuffle with Super Smash bros, because thats a different audience. I wont be buying SSB on the Rev. Id rather buy Giest, As will most of the more older causal gamers.  

I think Rev needs 3 Mature uber titles, aside from MP3.
Giest
RE 5
and a game similar to Gears of War of the Xbox and KillZone of the PS3 (them bastards bite Nintendo, so Nintendo should bite them)
would make a great line up.
Those four games or their equivalents and backward compatability will make the Rev a force to be reckond(sp) with.
Wishful thinking. Fingers crossed.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2005, 09:23:01 PM »
G-E-I-S-T (g-EYE-st). Giest (g-EE-st) would be pronounced completely different.

What, an equivalent to Killzone? What would that be, a game with a prerendered trailer and so many bugs you could make an anthill out of them? I'd rather worry about UT2007 but I suppose a little money could convince Epic to port that to the Rev (they'll port the engine anyway and the rest is platform independent). If the Rev can handle it, that is.

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2005, 11:42:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Nosferat2
I wont be buying SSB on the Rev. Id rather buy Giest, As will most of the more older causal gamers.

That is your loss for thinking you're too "mature" to play a "kids" game...but I wouldn't get my hopes up on that many mature titles at or even near launch.

Yeah, I went fanboy on your ass...

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2005, 12:06:39 PM »
Reply to KDR,
i wasnt referring to the graphical quality of the game. Im certain Killzone will not look like that. But the concept of both killzone or gears of war fascinates me. I huge world war between humans and invading aliens on a truely epic scale to me seems like will make an excellent game. I for one love war games so its refreshing to see an enemy besides Nazis.
So i would like to see a game on the rev that competes with Killzone and Gears of War in the following ways:
I confict of grand proportions and
aliens as enemies.
BTW cant wait for War of the Worlds. That seems to lend itself to a good game but i prefer the military setting as opposed to that of civilian.

As for graphics, as always im sure Nintendo will deliver, the question is will they or someone make such a game for the Rev....

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2005, 12:34:29 PM »
Mr. mojo,

i didnt mean to come off saying that im too mature to play kids games. I own and have played Skies of Acadia, Wind Waker, Beyond Good and Evil, and Final Fantasy CC. I had a great time with the former three especially Beyond good and Evil but FFCC blowed fat C@#K. ALl of these qualify for "kid" games. BTW i own SSBM but i havent even plyed it yet. Me and my friend rather play MP2 multiplayer. So kid games are NOT the issue. The issue is that Nintendo can not expect to attract new gamers and retain gamers that have been with them sinse NES and are approaching 30+ with games like SSB on the Rev. Thats a falsity that i hope upper echelon employees at nintendo do not have.  They simply need more attention to the older market. Not hella more but definitely more.

Microsoft and Sony know how to apeal to the US market.
Fact is that older gamers are the ones with the money. They buy the systems and the kids play it.  So MS and Sony market to the older generaltion and also provide games for kids. Nintendo does the opposite.  Nintendo thinks kids are the people buying the systems. Fact is, and i see this with all my friends, is that kids are influenced by the parents and older brothers. MS and Sony market to them and the kids and lil brothers play what they got. I think that is the absolute perfect strategy for the handheld market which is naturally kid oriented, but its terible marketing in the home console market..

Lastly, its not that i wont play SSB on the rev, its that SSB will not lead me to buy the Rev. Plain and Simple.  Metriod prime 3 will. MP is why i bought the gamecube over the X box. But i grew up on Nintendo and i always loved Metroid. New gamers and those not weened on NES will likely get wowwed by Gears od War and KillZone and pick up the respective systems. That will only be NNtendos fault...
So i say again, the Rev needs a couple more games geared to the older market to help the system fly off the shelves. Thats just my opinion, i could be wrong....
Peace Nosferatu

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »

So i say again, the Rev needs a couple more games geared to the older market to help the system fly off the shelves. Thats just my opinion, i could be wrong....
Peace Nosferatu

Agreed...I just wanted you to know that there is a lot of people who aren't kids who love SSB.  I have a couple of casual gamer friends I'm not really that close with but I see now and then that love SSB 64 but don't own a GC and aren't really willing to take the time to realize the greatness of Melee.  I just hope that the online aspect will pull people such as these into the next generation with a Rev.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2005, 09:31:02 PM »
You would rather play MP2:E multiplayer than SSBM..........that's freaking sad.......

I think i played it for about 3 minutes then got bored! I loved MP2:E as a game (MP was better) but the multiplayer sucked the twin chestnuts. Whereas with SSBM i have played 200+ hours..........

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2005, 01:37:09 AM »
They need to include a level editor with Prime 3 like Timesplitters, Unreal on PC, and Doom on PC (allowing you to make detailed indoor levels) taking advantage of the new lighting engine because Prime 2's multiplayer just wasn't fun to me.  Part of what wasn't fun about was in the control and the fact that everybody was Samus.  The new DS game addresses these problems; and hopefully we will see Prime 3's deathmatch levels be ripped straight from the game (the way the original Goldeneye recycled single player levels for deathmatch).  Another part of what made Prime 2's deathmatch hard to enjoy was the over simplified levels and their dependency on Samus' technology like lock on and spider ball.  MP3's deathmatch should involve some urban enviroments as well as space ships and alien planets.  Some maps could be all out door, some all in door, some both.  Also the maps can be defined by whether they are corridor levels or not.  Halo features some enviroments that are open rather than just stages contained in hallways or caves.  Also Metroid could use vehicles, ships, and mechs.  Samus' suit is essentially a vehicle and it should recieve new upgrades like magnetic boots, tripple jump, and flying.  

With more open enviroments and vehicles there can be a reason for Samus or other alien creatures to ball up or run on all fours, in order to move fast and low when a tank is behind you; as opposed to how they used ball mode and lockon in MP2's deathmatch.  It is hard to control Samus in ball mode, she balls up to move faster that she can run; and she is suppossed to be able to run pretty fast.  You have to think of the ball form as a continous self contained wheel.

If Geist is delayed, but still comes out on Cube; it is still going to count towards the REV's library of games Sony and MS gamers have not played like Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime.  It still gets to be a Revolution game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2005, 08:18:49 AM »
I'd prefer if they made a GF vs. Pirates mode where Samus isn't involved at all. Her powers are geared too much for SP, with the GF soldiers and pirates they'd have the freedom to adjust them to the MP gameplay. Though that might be pointless since the resulting game wouldn't be much like the SP game and you could probably just get a standard MP FPS like Battlefield instead. Well, I guess what will matter is the "revolutionary feature" and how it affects the controls.

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2005, 01:11:21 PM »
Mr Mojo

Yes i understand kids play games too. But i didnt discuss that aspect because Nintendo caters excellently to that market. I never proposed that nintendo stop catering to that market. I simply want Nintendo to continue exactly what they are doing BUT put a lil more emphasis to the older demographic.  

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2005, 01:35:36 PM »
Dasmos

Echoes multiplayer with four of your friends, all of which know how to play the game, is incredibly fun and intense. Thats my opinion. I dont think its sad that you prefer SSB over MP2, its your opinion. So common decency holds that you shouldnt think its sad that i have my opinion.
That said.. i own SSB but never played it. I bought it so when my lil cousins come from Puerto Rico we can play it. So i dont know how fun the game is or if its fun at all. But considering how well the game did i presume its a great game.
The Issue is this. When i have friends over, ranging from 25-29 years old, and we all want to play a game, its between SSB, MP2 and Medal of honor Frontline, Guess which games we end up playing. The latter two and not SSB. Its not that the game blows its just ignorance since we havent played it, so we dont know if its fun. And we wont know because we rather play the other games than find out decause we know those games are fun.
So, fact is, if me and my friends go thru this delima at my home, imagine people at the stores. Games lilke unreal, halo, quake, gears of war etc. will win over SSB. So if SSB is the sole multi player on the Rev at launch i think there will be a serious problem. The Rev will be labeled tiku tiku tiku!  and there goes Third party support.

So SSB should be released on the Rev  but so should other games geared to attract the older demographic.

Peace nosferatu

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2005, 08:05:05 PM »
"They need to include a level editor with Prime 3 like Timesplitters, Unreal on PC, and Doom on PC (allowing you to make detailed indoor levels) taking advantage of the new lighting engine because Prime 2's multiplayer just wasn't fun to me."

MP2's multiplayer wasn't that fun because it was an attempt at a FPS style multiplayer mode using the gameplay of a game that cleary is not an FPS.  Nintendo should just leave Metroid as the single player game it's supposed to be and make a new franchise for a more traditional FPS experience.  Metroid isn't a "Halo killer" and shouldn't be treated as such.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2005, 09:19:57 PM »
That is all well and good Nosferat.......yeah it is your opinion.

But clearly you should play SSBM it is by no means geared towards a younger audience, sure it may look cute, but as the saying goes do no judge a book by it's cover.

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2005, 11:08:00 PM »

I simply want Nintendo to continue exactly what they are doing BUT put a lil more emphasis to the older demographic.

I think they've been doing more geared at the older demographic...the look of the Rev definately differs vastly from GCN.  Plus I remember when Reggie said something along the lines of 'if we launched gamecube with RE4 then maybe things would have been different this generation'...that's not a direct quote mind you, but it's close.  That should give you some hope.  It would be badass if the new original IP is an online FPS.  That would be a very online oriented launch, two first party online multiplayer games.  I'm salivating already.

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2005, 09:32:36 PM »
I agree with you mojo. They seem to be gearing up to the older demographic. Im hoping they do, ill definelty stick with NIntendo then.
I see the momentum even with the cube as RE4, Geist, Killer 7, and Spartan Total Warrior , New Legend of Zelda are any indicator(even though 2 of then were announced at the cubes launch).. But RE4 was worth the wait so who cares. Hopefully K7 will be worth the wait as well.

So this evidence along with the things you stated and what Nintendo states lead me to believe that good things are in store. But i will not set myself up for disappointment.
Case in point. Nintendo announced complete backward compatibility which is a HUGE + for me. Then they announce no HDTV, which sets them back a bit. So i have a wait and see attitude..

BTW i have never played an online game, so i dont know what im missing. I rather play with my friends present than with people i dont know online. But i would lilke a New IP FPS.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2005, 11:14:02 AM »
Nintendo has made an effort at getting to an older demographic for years now, but nothing ever seems to come of it.  Let's take some time to reflect on its efforts in the past and drink some cocoa.

It all started with Killer Instinct.  The game was released in arcades and on the Super NES in the mid-90s (95, I believe, but I'm not sure) and it was supposed to prove Nintendo wasn't afraid to make a game for older players.  It kind of worked, but but Nintendo didn't release any more exclusive games aimed at adults until the N64 was released about a year later!

With the N64 came KI Gold.  By this time, the series' weaknesses had become pretty apparent and a lot of fighting fans were poo-pooing it.  The series still has a pretty serious following to this day, but since no more sequels were ever released, it didn't do Nintendo much good!  

In the following year Nintendo got Turok and Goldeneye, along with quite a large number of other mature games, though those two were the only exclusives and they were also the ones that sold N64s.  It looked like Nintendo was set to impress people with a mature lineup.

Then came another two year break.  The Ocarina of Time and Turok 2 helped to fill in the gap, but Zelda is hardly an M rated series and Turok wasn't as well received the second time around.

In 1999 Nintendo and Rare delivered Perfect Dark.  The game wasn't as popular as Goldeneye, but it did well.

In 2000 there was Conker's Bad Fur Day.  I'd say more than any other game since KI, this one was heralded as proof that Nintendo wasn't just for kids anymore.  Ironically it's a pretty immature (but fun) game.

Then Nintendo launched the GameCube with no M rated games at all.  Star Wars was the closest thing it had, and it took about six months to release Resident Evil and later Eternal Darkness.  Both were great games, but they were a bit late and Nintendo and Capcom didn't seem to put enough marketing behind them.  

Nintendo went on to lose Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct and Conker by selling Rare; Turok went multiplatform, as if anybody cared anymore.

Later in the same year (2002) RE0 and Metroid Prime sold quite a few systems, edging out Microsoft in November, but after that we basically sat back and waited...and waited...and waited.  

Finally they brought us a remake of Metal Gear Solid courtesy of Konami and Silicon Knights more than a year later.  That was eventually followed by  Metroid Prime 2 and the no-longer exclusive RE4.

Which brings us to today.  Nintendo's one and only exclusive franchise aimed directly at the adult market is Metroid.  Hopefully Geist will make a splash, but looking at all the struggles Nintendo went through to wind up with one franchise that it already had nearly 20 years ago, I wouldn't hold my breath.  I think the problem is mainly that Nintendo keeps relying on other developers to come up with the games.  It doesn't bother me personally, but Nosferat2's wait and see attitude is definitely the smart one for players looking for lots of mature content.

Edit: noticed a mistake in my timeline.  There are probably more.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX