Author Topic: Party Poker pop-up  (Read 6336 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Party Poker pop-up
« on: March 01, 2006, 12:32:05 PM »
Every time I go to the site and click on the "Forums" link a new window opens for PartyPoker.net.  It's as if I just clicked on a banner ad only I didn't.  It's like some sort of trick where I can't click on the forums link without opening this ad.

I just wanted to make sure the PGC staff were aware of this.

Update:  I'm getting it with other links too.  Like for example when I click on the link to view a review or news post.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Party Poker pop-up
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:21:42 PM »
One of those fun "On Leave" popups. I thought only warez sites used those. Guess PGC countsas illegal these days...

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 05:57:49 PM »
I got partypoker.net popups for a while, but I found out they were spyware.
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
Ian, can you make sure that you don't have any spyware?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:15:08 AM »
I get the Party Poker pop-up as well.  And I'm fairly certian I'm not running any Spyware that I don't know of (yes, I just said that and I ain't taking it back).

PGC is the only website where I regularly get pop-ups that Firefox (without any extentions or such) doesn't block.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »
Normally these things are coded in flash where firefox hasn't been updated to block ads from.

The flasblock or adblock (or both) extensions will help.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 12:06:42 PM »
I only get the ad when I'm at work where I use Internet Explorer.  At home I use Mozilla.  The ad has only ever come up at PGC.  I'm pretty ignorant on the subject but I assume that if it was Spyware it would appear at more than one site.  We've got some Spyware/Virus protection on all the machines here at work and someone else is in charge of it all so I assume he's on the ball about things.  I don't really want to bring it up with him because I only get it on a site unrelated to work that I really shouldn't be visiting during the day.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 12:47:36 PM »
Ok, I'll look into it.

I can say that we are looking to completely revamp our situation with UGO and with all advertisements very soon.  I don't know if it will have an immediate effect on the ads at the site, but it could.  I'm hopeful that we can work out a plan to use better, fewer ads that will still support us.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 05:56:47 PM »
Sweet!

I just discovered that, for whatever reason, PGC was on my "Allow" list for Pop-Ups.  I can't fathom why I would have put it there.  Anywho, after browsing the site for a bit, the only Pop-Up I had come up was the Party Poker Pop-Up.

Wow... This makes me happy.

*edit*: Nevermind.  As soon as I clicked to post that last message, this popped up again.  This is tons worse than the Party Poker Pop-up...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:43:33 PM »
You ARE disabling Flash, right?