Author Topic: The card memory card debacle-re-revisited  (Read 3733 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The card memory card debacle-re-revisited
« on: March 31, 2003, 05:39:38 PM »
  I just bought ASB 2004, and I have to say, it appalls me to use a full Memory Card 251 to save the freaking game.  Is it just Acclaim's usual laziness, or is there something I don't know?  Madden , for instance, uses 1 MC 59 for franchise(still alot), you mean to tell me EA can do it, but Acclaim can't?  I'd like to know exactly why they can't do something about this.  I called Acclaim, and the representative told me ' that's why the game is only 39.99'.  Gee, thanks.  

I needed to rant, so thank you.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 08:17:10 PM »
Most likely Acclaim is lazy as hell.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 04:18:40 PM »
Accually not true, the Sports games on GC that has a franchise mode the devs were confined to 59 blocks (pre MC251). When the 251 MC came out it gave sports developers more memory at disposal for more options on the saves and maybe more options for franchise mode.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 11:41:26 PM »
So....would you say there are 4 times the options and such now?

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 02:46:27 AM »
I think this is silly. Back on the N64 and PS1 developers did season modes with 128Kb. Now they struggle with 2MB and 8MB. It's called lazy programming. Heck, I had season mode on my SNES with Ken Griffey and Madden. It saved stats.

Granted, there are more options now, but 16 times more?
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 03:04:40 AM »
Buy a big card from Nyko. For 19.99 you get a card 1024 blocks of memory. Currentyly on my ONE Nyko card I have:

2 NCAA Dynasties (214 blocks a peice)
2 Madden 2003 Franchises
1 ASB2004 Franchise
2 Mario Party 4 files
1 BeachSpiker file
1 Zelda OOT File
1 Wind Waker File
1 Metroid Prime File

And I still have about 250 blocks left.

HEre is a link:

http://www.nyko.com/

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2003, 04:48:57 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen
I called Acclaim, and the representative told me ' that's why the game is only 39.99'.  Gee, thanks.  

Remember, this is the same company that brought us such 'gems' as Turok Evolution and BMX XXX.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2003, 05:15:08 AM »
I like the Animal Crossing Route better. If your game is going to take up a whole memory card, bundle it with the game (and sell for $50). I thought I was getting a bonus when I bought the game but quickly realized the game took up the whole card.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2003, 05:22:06 AM »

Remember, this is the same company that brought us such 'gems' as Turok Evolution and BMX XXX.

I thought Turok Evolution was a good game. ASB 2004 is a great game, who cares how much memory it uses, just buy a new card.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2003, 09:21:52 AM »
  I just got an interact card with 1064 block's for 10 bucks, so all's well that end's well, i suppose.  

ASB 2004 is great?  So far, i've enjoyed all the stats , but the graphics leave alot to be desired, and i've seen at least 3-4 bugs that completely suck, such as, on an overthrow to first, the ball goes in the dugout where I can't reach it.  The runner circles the friggin' bases and scores!!!  But there are alot of cool options in the game, and since there is no other sim baseball game, i got to deal with it.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2003, 09:30:59 AM »
Omen,

I thought a lot of things in that game were bugs too until I got used to playing it. It seemed the better I got the less "bugs" I noticed. I like it A LOT.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2003, 09:45:22 AM »
The fact that some sports game require a whole memory card isn't so much because developers are lazy (though they are somewhat) but rather because the games are originally designed for the PS2 which has a significantly bigger memory card.  If the game was made from scratch for the Gamecube memory likely wouldn't have been a problem.

If you should blame anyone for this blame Nintendo.  They're the ones who made their memory cards so tiny in comparison to the competition.  Now in theory it's a good idea to encourage developers to be more conservative with space but when the market leader's taking the exact opposite approach, making smaller memory cards (and smaller discs too) is just adding a flaw to your console for no reason.

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2003, 05:50:34 AM »
Are they flawed, or is it just to get you to buy more memory cards, thus making Ninitendo more money?

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2003, 06:20:25 AM »
does anyone know where that one memory card for gamecube came from that allowed u to use a usb port on ur comp?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine