Author Topic: The Cube and Online Games  (Read 14217 times)

Offline CrYpTiC

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Cube and Online Games
« on: February 20, 2003, 01:31:03 PM »
I know this question has probably been asked, but I am going to ask anyway. Why do they sell the GC online adapters if there is no service? Is there a way to play online games or do any games support them? Is there an online thing I don't know about?  
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 01:33:08 PM »
There's Phantasy Star Online, but thats all I know about.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Demonhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 01:35:36 PM »
Nintendo wouldn't have spend thousands, if not millions, putting modem ports on Gamecubes unless they had future plans. They wouldn't be making modem/broadband adapters JUST for 1 little Sega game. PSO wasn't even announced when the GC First came out (or was it). Bottom line, Nintendo WILL make something online sooner or later.  

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 01:39:26 PM »
I hope thats the surprise in March I read about earlier. PSO didn't really give me a reason to buy a modem, but maybe the GC will be the first console to allow just surfing and playing online like on Candystand. Just a thought. And I know thats why we have computers.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 02:43:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamer Donkey
I hope thats the surprise in March I read about earlier. PSO didn't really give me a reason to buy a modem, but maybe the GC will be the first console to allow just surfing and playing online like on Candystand. Just a thought. And I know thats why we have computers.

Surfing the internet on the TV is absolutely killer on the eyes!   Hell no, that woud be a worthless feature that will make everyone go blind.  Why do you think text in games are so much more huge?

They need to keep it efficient and lag free... doesn't look very possible w/ regular 56k modems out there....

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 02:12:36 AM »
I'm hopin' Nintendo has some good sports games on Cube to play online. Better yet, I'm sure EA will support Cube Online, which will be a big reason for me gettin' a bb adaptor for the Cube.

BTW, I have a question about PSO online. If you have the modem/bb adaptor, and you have PSO, don't you just hook up your internet to your Cube, put the game in, and then play online, or is there another way to do it?
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 04:03:08 AM »
You have to set up PSO to work with your network. It leaves a save file on your memory card (about 3 blocks) You have to put in an sign on information to get on the internet. You have to, if you didn't go online to get it already. Go on Sega.com and purcase a hunter's liscense. (To help Sega pay for their server up keep. You also have to put in you DNS and IP addresses for the game to work.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 11:50:54 AM »
Also it even says in on the modem/BB plastic Gc acessory things (like MC packaging) it doesnt work with AOL users and that kinda screws alot of ppl over since AOL is the top even though their service blows.

Also you cant surf on the web with GC
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 12:30:37 PM »
AOL and netzero can't work on any console. They want you to use there software no matter what. My isp is a west coast 56k service that u can use with a console. If u can run you isp in dial up networking with out using any software from the isp then it will work with any console. I only pay 9.99 for surfside

Offline SilverBack1138

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2003, 06:20:34 PM »
Guys, Louie the Cat has already had a rant about 3 rumored online games.  I've also heard that the next batch of EA sports games are suppose to be online enabled for the GCN.  I don't really care about this since I don't like mainstream sports video games, but this is good news for sports fans.  From what I've also heard, Jeff Minter's new FPS for GCN that he's developing is suppose to have online play available and that some former Rare employees that did work on GoldenEye/PerfectDark are also making an online FPS for GCN.  Let us all hope that this is all true.  While PSO is a great game, I want to have more software for my broadband adapter.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2003, 07:03:23 PM »

Why do they sell the GC online adapters if there is no service?

If Sega hadn't pushed Nintendo to release the adapters, we wouldn't have them today.  Sega NEEDED them, and after much stalling, Nintendo finally conceded so that Sega could get Phantasy Star Online on the shelves.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2003, 09:36:25 PM »
It would take something very special to convince me to buy a broadband adaptor.  PSO just isn't special enough to me to warrant the cost.  If the game was something REALLY good, the service was free, and I happened to have money at the time (not bloody likely), I might consider buying one.  Mario Kart, Tony Hawk, PSO, and whatever other online games there are just won't convince me to buy one.  I don't think I am alone on this one either judging from a few recent polls on GameFAQs.  It seems that I am a part of the vast majority of gamers.

Do you suppose that Nintendo knows this?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline EL Pollo DIablos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2003, 02:44:05 AM »
Rick do u think Nnintendo will charge u monthly or sometingforplaying games like Sega?
Cause im not planning to pay a lot of cash for not to much gaming time.

El Pollo Diablos
Nintendo is going to treat us good:F-Zero and Star Fox Armada, new Pikmin, 1080, Kirby, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis and 2 or 3 new franchises ( maybe mature).
Planning on buying an Xbox! Now all I nead is a good gamertag for Live!

Offline overmind

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2003, 04:10:21 AM »
DIAL UP! whats the point the only game you'll be able to play is tetris pro evolution i mean if you tried to play any half decent games on dial up it will probably just crash plus the gamecube service is already out of date and will be even more out of date when it actually arrives.

plus it wont be compatible with things like BT anytime etc so you will have to pay per minute which is a complete joke.

I try playing games like starcraft and delta force 2!! (both a good few years old now and not hits when it comes to graphics or pace.) and i have trouble playing them at decent speeds.

Gamecube online=Lagfest.

dont bother with online games for gamecube its basically designed for offline play mainly anyway and it aint even good at that either to be honest.
THEY INVENTED PS2 GOT A CONSOLE WITH ATTENTION!
THEY INVENTED XBOX GOT A OVERSIZED POWERHOUSE!
THEY INVENTED GAMECUBE AND GOT A FISHER PRICE TOY!

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2003, 04:25:26 AM »
I'd imagine the first Nintendo games that include online play will accomodate people with dial-up in some way.  For instance, Animal Crossing would work just fine with online play, as you'd only need to represent the character, and that wouldn't be a lot of netcode.

But yeah, most any game is really laggy on dialup.  They'll probably have some alternate playability included in games that include online play so that dialup users aren't totally screwed.  Something like sharing top scores in mario kart, or trading items immediately for dialup users.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2003, 04:46:58 AM »
I've heard that PSO works just fine on dialup.

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2003, 07:50:22 AM »
Yeah, PSO works JUST  FINE on dial up.  Even on Japanese servers.  
Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2003, 02:38:14 PM »

Text I try playing games like starcraft and delta force 2!! (both a good few years old now and not hits when it comes to graphics or pace.) and i have trouble playing them at decent speeds.

Well overmind, The difference between PC and console online is alot of people have different PC and components wich makes it a varring speed. dial up on consoles have low lag. also if you dont like Gamecube really then why are you on these forums. Also about your sig. comment on how GC looks liek a Fisher Price toy it doesnt, GC looks sexy in all 3 color varriations.    
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2003, 05:17:45 PM »
Actually, in my debate on which next-gen system to get, PSo was my mind changer.  I have over 330 hours of play, and 150 is offline.  I just love everything about the game, especially the music.  Is there a soundtrack?  Anyway, Nintendo recently purchased a giant MMORPG server, which i suppose tells us somehting doesn't it.  I do think we will see some more online games, i do they think they will be grossly popular, but I know Nintendo is allready worrying about the next system.  So any games we will get online will probably be to see what the audience wants.  I belive the next gen system will use online like the GBA almost.  The things they could do with an Internet-Console-Portable connection are limitless.  But, time will tell.

And don't mind people like Overlord, He is just desperate for attention, Father didn't hug him enough or something.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Animelee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2003, 06:39:30 PM »
In last month's Nintendo Dream in Japan, they said that the Pokemon game for Gamecube will be an online game, too.  
The biggest Pokemon fan of all time.
Proud Nintendo fanboy.
"If it ain't from Nintendo, then I automatically hate it."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2003, 07:08:23 PM »
I know that I just said that I wasn't interested in going online with my GameCube in an above post....  but Animal Crossing 2 online sounds interesting to me.  If it is REALLY good, then I might just actually buy one.  However, I am NOT paying monthly fees.  That's just out of the question.

Offline MikeHrusecky

• View Profile
Cube Online Discussion
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2003, 11:53:13 PM »
Making this the official online thread. Continue as you were.

Offline Agent

• View Profile
Cube Online Discussion
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2003, 10:29:49 AM »

I seriously doubt it. XBL is blowing away the PS2's online community. The GC won't be able to do better.

Oh but it is.

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Cube Online Discussion
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2003, 10:58:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Agent

I seriously doubt it. XBL is blowing away the PS2's online community. The GC won't be able to do better.

Oh but it is.

I don't see how the GC online could possibly be any better.  Since XBL is broadband only it cuts out A LOT of the work from removing lag (although no matter what, still semi-existant), and since its subscription based with X-Box server it allows much more stability, ease of use, and the ability to play with anyone.  

With the GC we already see there are regular 56k modem adapters out.  If they choose to do peer to peer networking, that would be quite a downer.  I can only imagine the lag, and the unfreindliness of using online games.   Theres a reason why XBL is so much better then PS2 online... it's because its subscription based and Microsoft backed.    GC has to do the same thing if it actually wants results, but I highly doubt they will.  It's too expensive and too risky for them.  

I'm expecting free peer to peer networking.  It is fact that Nintendo GC owners are a lot younger overall than the other systems.. that would make it less likely that they would have broadband and be the ones footing the bill for it.   It just makes sense for them business wise.  Sure it will be a nice extra feature nevertheless, but it isn't going to be all great if its not subscriptions based.   I'm not expecting much, but I can hope...

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
Cube Online Discussion
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2003, 11:12:11 AM »
If XBL is only BB then I'll never get it. The only BB connection around here is satelite and I've heard that it has about a 1-2 second delay.