Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 718252 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1550 on: January 11, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »
I haven't played either what what are they like?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1551 on: January 11, 2008, 04:27:46 PM »
I'd also like to add that gonintendo.com has riot zone and pac-attack as confirmed  
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: January 11, 2008, 04:27:53 PM »
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is like one part Zelda, one part Super Mario 64, and one part insane Japanese zaniness.
GOREGASM!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1553 on: January 11, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »
Alright thank you if it does come out I'll have to check it out
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: January 11, 2008, 04:30:53 PM »
We don't know, but you should buy it when it does.  Also, Smoke, you left out the part about the terribly terrible laugh track.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: January 11, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »
Well excuse me for not mentioning every little detail like how the main villain calls the protagonists Antonio and Fernandez instead of their real names and how Sasuke can use his hair as a weapon and how Ebisumaru looks up a girl's kimono in the ending credits!
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: January 11, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »
Chameleon Twist (*ahem*) is a 3D platformer, and you can attack enemies and collect items by stiucking out your tongue and guiding it with the analogue stick. It also... has 4 player battle-modes where you push your opponents off the battle stage with said tongue. Awesome.  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: January 11, 2008, 06:56:22 PM »
You sure you don't mean Chameleon Twist?
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: January 11, 2008, 08:36:51 PM »
Oh...um...EDIT!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1559 on: January 11, 2008, 10:19:06 PM »
alright thanks Kairon and smoke I'll have to check out Chameleon Twist if it comes out I like querky games.  
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: January 12, 2008, 04:30:54 AM »
LOL Thats what the game was called! I forgot the name!  That game was awesome,  in those later levels when you really had to put you tongue to work.

Mystical Ninja is one of my favorite N64 games. haha  The Giant Robot Battles were awesome.  Plus the fact that you pretty much get to go Super Saiyen in the game
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: January 14, 2008, 02:37:17 AM »
Does Pac-Attack for the SNES have the original Pac-Man game on it or not?
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1562 on: January 14, 2008, 05:01:47 AM »
 I'm not sure if the original is in Pac-man Attack, but Pacman World 2 has both pac-attack and the original.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 14, 2008, 05:10:41 AM »
Pacman World 2 was actually pretty good too.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1564 on: January 14, 2008, 05:25:49 AM »
I must have not gotten far enough in pac-man world 2 then, how are those games unlocked?
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1565 on: January 14, 2008, 06:34:11 PM »
There are tokens in the game find 10 for the original, 30 for pac-attack. to unlock everything you have to find 180 tokens.  
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 17, 2008, 05:09:25 AM »
I just remembered I have pac-attack on my gameboy advance with pac-man collection.  4 pac-man games in one
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
Super Smash Bros on The VC?
« Reply #1567 on: January 17, 2008, 05:42:44 AM »
In response to someone's letter, this month's Nintendo Power hints at the possibility of seeing the first Smash Bros on the Virtual Console before Brawl's release. I would get it without question, but I wonder how much of what a response can merit if it isn't featured in their Virtual Console section.
What do you think of the chance of seeing Super Smash Bros on the VC? Prospective or Speculation?

Here's Nintendic's story:
http://www.nintendic.com/news/1679
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros on The VC?
« Reply #1568 on: January 17, 2008, 05:49:46 AM »
Don't worry man, its gonna be there right befor Brawl comes out to get us hyped. Just like A Link to the Past from the get go with Twilight Princess, just like Mario 3 with Galaxy. Its a given.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros on The VC?
« Reply #1569 on: January 17, 2008, 06:04:21 AM »
I sure as hell hope they release it.

God only knows I'd love to play it just to be able to play SSB4 on GC controllers.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros on The VC?
« Reply #1570 on: January 17, 2008, 06:34:19 AM »
All of my 64 controllers are completely trashed, so I'll pick it up in a heartbeat.  
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 17, 2008, 09:28:36 AM »
I would think putting up games on VC might detour some people from buying the game in stores.  Like if they think they can't afford it they might just get the VC game instead.

I don't know, that percentage of people might be so small that the ones that buy both in light of the releases at the same time may outweight the odds
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 17, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »
"I would think putting up games on VC might detour some people from buying the game in stores. Like if they think they can't afford it they might just get the VC game instead."

I think the idea is that if someone tries SSB for the first time on the VC and likes it it will make them interested in the new SSB game coming out.  It's kind of like a demo or shareware game or sorts.  For a lower price they try out SSB and develop an interest in more content.  This isn't like Madden where the next year's game might as well be the same thing.  This is two generations different and just the graphics alone makes Brawl look different enough to not just be more SSB.  Worrying about people getting just SSB is like NCL's logic against demos.  They're looking too much at the small group of people who they'll lose business from and completely miss the larger group they'll gain business from.  It's no different than a sports team owner blacking out all home games for fear that he'll lose ticket revenue, completely ignoring the widespread publicity TV coverage provides as well as ad revenue.

If you're going to worry about old games eating up the sales of new games then, f*ck, get rid of the VC altogether and remove the Gamecube backwards compatibility.

The ironic thing is that playing SSB for the N64 would have turned me off of Brawl.  When Melee was annouced I didn't care at all.  I didn't like the first game so I wasn't interested in the sequel.  A big part of that is that my jerkass friend owned it and never seemed to quite give me a fair demonstration of the controls, so he could win all the time.  My introduction to the game was tainted.  In the end the Cube release drought got me to play Melee as I wanted to rent something for my friends to play when we got together for one of our birthday's and it was pretty much the only four player choice I could get at the time.  I loved it, bought it, and played the crap out of it.

I suppose any newbies for whom Brawl is their first SSB game (and there are lots of Nintendo newbies in the Wii userbase) might also consider buying SSB on the VC out of curiousity to see how it compares to the new game they're playing the hell out of.  To capitalize on that Nintendo has to release SSB on the VC now while the series is fresh in everyone's mind.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 17, 2008, 10:58:41 AM »

I think the idea is that if someone tries SSB for the first time on the VC and likes it it will make them interested in the new SSB game coming out. It's kind of like a demo or shareware game or sorts.
Well that wouldn't work though. As much as I like SSB, the gameplay and especially the graphics haven't aged very well, plus there are way fewer modes/stages/characters/options. Melee is a classic, and will age well no matter what. But anyway, like you say happened to you, people might be turned off by Brawl just because of SSB64.

This wasn't an issue with Mario, since SMB3 is one of the best games ever made, so they didn't need to worry that people would pass on Galaxy. And also, it's a 2D game. There's a big difference in play styles. If someone just looks at SSB64 and Brawl,, they look very similar, and if their experience isn't very good with 64, they'll probably pass on Brawl.

I do have a few questions though, Ian. How could you possibly not like the original and then love Melee? Sure, there were a few refinements, but at its core they're basically the same game with the same gameplay. I don't know how you could have such a different opinion of them. And also, if you'd played the 64 version you would basically know the controls already. There were a couple of new moves, but nothing significant.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 17, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »
"I do have a few questions though, Ian. How could you possibly not like the original and then love Melee? Sure, there were a few refinements, but at its core they're basically the same game with the same gameplay. I don't know how you could have such a different opinion of them. And also, if you'd played the 64 version you would basically know the controls already. There were a couple of new moves, but nothing significant."

Part of it is my friend can't spam Samus' grappling beam throw again and again in Melee.    I really think the big difference is I wasn't able to get a real feel for the game when my friend was in control while I was when I was in control.  I don't recall ever playing four players for example at my friend's house.  I don't think he had enough controllers (this is like 8 or 9 years ago so I don't remember for sure).  Hell he might have been playing against me one-on-one like it was Street Fighter or something.  I don't even remember items, maybe he turned them off!  He also never taught me how to smash attack or described it so poorly I couldn't figure it out.  With Melee I was able to cut loose and really take it all in because it was my console at my house and I could play it at my leisure.  Sadly I can't get into SSB even now because it just hasn't aged that well.  Melee crushes it and Brawl will probably do the same to Melee.  Fighting games don't age well as sequels come out.  While I'll play the hell out of Street Fighter Alpha 3 I can't stand to play Street Fighter II Turbo anymore and that used to be my favourite game ever.

Hell I didn't even like Goldeneye much the first time I played (again at that friend's house) because I didn't get to try the single player, was at the mercy of someone else's choice of deathmatch options and was playing against guys who were already familiar with the game and knew where to get the best weapons and knew where spawning points were.  The whole thing felt like a crappy FPS that, as usual for the time, couldn't compare to PC first person shooters.  Once I tried it out myself I f*cking loved it.