Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online Reaches Big Number  (Read 1979 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Phantasy Star Online Reaches Big Number
« on: November 22, 2003, 07:49:50 AM »
From the Dreamcast to the GameCube, a lot of gamers have been, er... phulfilling their phantasies.

With Phantasy Star Online III: C.A.R.D. Revolution due out in Japan next week, Sega thought it would be a good idea to remind everyone of the success that the previous games in the series had.

From the first game in the series for the Dreamcast, up until the beginning of this month, the total amount of registered players across all versions and systems (including the GameCube's PSO Ver. 1&2) has hit 600,000.  This number only signifies how many people registered, and doesn't necessarily mean there are currently that many PSO players right now, or that that many people own a copy of a game.

However, that is a pretty nice number for the first big online console game series, and will only get bigger when PSO III hits Japan on Thursday, and North America next year.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Morgon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Phantasy Star Online Reaches Big Number
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 07:04:36 PM »
Of course, they won't admit the entire reason has to do with the homebrew GC scene.

Backdoors make games great. Developers take note.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 12:11:02 AM »
well i own PSO for PSOff, i'll get around to being online one day, i wouldn't mind trying to run som emulated stuff on my GC, chronotrigger maybe? ^_^ that will teach square to not release it here...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 10:20:55 AM »
I think Sega posted those numbers after Square-Enix started to brag about how they now have as many users in FF11 as in Everquest (400k).

Offline THE_BLINK_EFFECT

• View Profile
RE:Phantasy Star Online Reaches Big Number
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 07:53:17 PM »
yeah most of the people who bought it would have been 4 playing copied games and Homebrew s**t!!!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 05:06:41 AM »
Those, however, wouldn't need to register with Sega, do they?

Offline Morgon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 05:23:21 AM »
No, that's a good point. I missed the fact that they said 'registered' and not just 'purchased'. However, I'm sure that many people still registered.. it doesn't require a credit card just to register the copy, does it? Been a while since I had to mess with all that.