Author Topic: Homebrew Wireless Sensor Bar  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Homebrew Wireless Sensor Bar
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:02:02 AM »
Turns out it's easy to build a functioning unit.  So if you have a projection setup this is one option.

Homebrew Wireless Sensor Bar

I'm not sure if that's the original source, but it works.

ALSO... it would be relatively easy to imagine a device that plugs into the wall and powers the official bar directly.  I imagine something like that would show up shortly.

Personally, I'm looking for a second sensor bar to take on the road should I want to demonstrate or use the Wii in a location other than my home TV.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
RE:Homebrew Wireless Sensor Bar
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 06:38:10 AM »
There's only one reason the sensor bar is wired into the console, and that's power. If it was wireless, we'd have to use batteries. Personally, I think that's a good reason to have it wired into the console. The battery situation with the Remotes is aggravating enough, and having to throw two triples into the bar every month would not be pleasant. Viva Wired Sensor Bar!  
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Homebrew Wireless Sensor Bar
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:49:44 AM »
I think Nintendo is going to eventually release a doohickey that allows the sensor bar to be plugged into an outlet for those people who require such a scenario like those with projector screens and such. Or some 3rd party has to cash in on this idea.  

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 12:52:30 PM »
can someone explain to me what the problem the Sensor Bar has with Projectors?  Or are u guys talking about projection screen tv's?

Reason I'm asking is I've been asked to bring in my Wii for my school's next SGDA's (Student Game Developers Association) meeting and I'm not sure but we might use a Projector so everyone can see it.  We'll be doing a comparison of the PS3 and Wii so having the Wiimotes not functioning correctly would be very very bad.

Offline Pikachelsea

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Homebrew Wireless Sensor Bar
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 12:56:22 PM »

Originally posted by: ShaolinKilla
can someone explain to me what the problem the Sensor Bar has with Projectors?  Or are u guys talking about projection screen tv's?

Reason I'm asking is I've been asked to bring in my Wii for my school's next SGDA's (Student Game Developers Association) meeting and I'm not sure but we might use a Projector so everyone can see it.  We'll be doing a comparison of the PS3 and Wii so having the Wiimotes not functioning correctly would be very very bad.

The problem people are reporting is that the sensor bar cord isn't very long. For those who have a projector mounted at the back of a room, it might be a stretch to get the cord to reach all the way from the projector to the screen where the sensor bar is placed.

Try to find out how far the screen is from the projector if you can, and hopefully you shouldn't have problems if you plug the Wii into the projector, move the Wii as close to the screen as possible, then plug the sensor bar into the Wii and move it as close as possible as well.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 04:59:44 AM »
Well I devised my own sensor bar out of a wall... a virtual wall.

Basically, my Roomba came with 2 of these virtual wall units, which are in essence... IR generators.  I plopped the two on top of my TV and it worked with the Wii.  It was still smooth at 20' too.  I couldn't test it any further than that since I didn't have any more room to back up.

I have a few more tests I want to play around with:
1) Do a range test... place the IR units on a couch and have someone else observe the pointer as I backup.
2) Do a calibration test.  Since this isn't a bar and just 2 different units.  I should be able to put them on the sides of the TV and perhaps get to a point where the on screen pointer is close to where I'm actually pointing on screen.

So if you have any of these lying around give em a shot.  There a bit expensive as a sensor bar replacement though, so don't go running out to buy any for this purpose.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 11:56:18 AM »
Candles work pretty well too, as long as the room is dark enough.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€