Author Topic: Nintendo World Report  (Read 13874 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Nintendo World Report
« on: November 16, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »
New site is going to take some getting used to.  It's certainly ... white.

I like it though; very clean looking.  The main page really isn't that different that the PGC main page; it just has a fresh coat of paint.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 10:39:09 AM »
The name/format change certainly lost a lot of personality....the professional look was the next logical step for the site, but I'll miss the more "awesome fan site" feel of PGC...

But whatever, looks good
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:40:59 AM »
Enjoy the whitespace, because pretty soon the ads will be back up...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
adblockah

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 10:47:23 AM »
I like it. especially the new image viewer, really nice guys. My only complaint would be how the whole pure white scheme clashes with the crazy colorful ads on the top and right.  How bout NWR only accepting white ads? ;D

Really though, awesome job guys. It'll be the first site I visit this Sunday  
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:52:48 AM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
adblockah

Oh yeah, mine is working as normal too. I just saw the "Advertisement" warning there.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 11:08:58 AM »
...why do I... hate the redesign so?

[kneejerk reaction]

The idea of white is supposed to make things look clean and contemporary, but instead you guys clutter everything up excessively with text and ads, killing the effect and turning a post-modern sensibility into a lazy-esque white background for big groups of text?

Now it...just looks like a cheap blog?

[/kneejerk reaction]

/cries

I feel so weird and disappointed and confused!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »
Agree with kairon, it's a little too word-heavy and.... white. Looks like a Wordpress blog like I said in the other thread.
"wow."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 11:13:02 AM »
For example, I detest those "posted X mintues ago" tags. Yet more words that don't give us real news.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 11:22:51 AM »
Does anybody else think the NintendoWordReport logo on the front page is a wii bit small? Maybe a little bit bigger... like smaller or around the size of the NintendoReport Forums logo. Other than that, wow the new site is amazing. The image viewer is really... wow. I think it's my favorite image navigation thingy now. IGN's is a little flawed, so is GameSpot's. It's a hassle with those sites at times. The site is so clean looking. Great job NWR designers!

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 11:25:41 AM »
I like it, but agree its too cluttered.  

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 11:26:15 AM »
There needs to be some lines seperating stuff on the main page.  Other than that it's going to be like anything else, just have to get acclimated to new stuff.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »
It's way too plain. I certainly hope this isn't the final design.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 12:00:57 PM »
I agree with nitsu.  Some more separation would be nice.

Also, the sidebar appears to be a bit missplaced in Mozilla? :b  pic
GOREGASM!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 12:44:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
I agree with nitsu.  Some more separation would be nice.

Also, the sidebar appears to be a bit missplaced in Mozilla? :b  pic

It's definitely not supposed to look like that.  I've notified TYP and I'm sure he'll check it out ASAP.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline j_moose

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 02:00:05 PM »
I like the color scheme...but something about it reminds me of domains they're trying to sell - when you type the URL in and it's basically a list of advertisements dealing with the URL.  In fact, when the new page loaded the first time I re-typed planetgamecube.com into the address bar, thinking I landed on an advertising site due to a misspelling or something.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 02:09:38 PM »
I hope, if you plan to revise anything, that the following criticisms help. But, first, a disclaimer: I don't intend them to be mean or hurtful – quite the opposite. In art school, we'd rip each other new ones every critique – there were tears and sobbing and such from time to time. But we got loads better because of it. I was in a few classes where everyone was just "oh, it's nice," and I didn't see the class-wide progress I saw in other classes where people were more outspoken and critical. So, consider it "tough love" if you want It's meant to help. Now, you could very well be past the point of revision, and if so, these aren't any use. But if not...

1. For such a typographic, text-centric site as NWR, your textual hierarchy isn't nearly strong enough. Your text fields bleed into one another, and I'm left asking, What am I supposed to read first? Next? Last? Not at all? There's no dominant design element, making the other elements feel "squishy" in their placements, as if they could float around without ever clicking into place somewhere). Now, your advertisers are probably happy that their ads are in contrast so bold, but... come on, give the visuals of your site some graphical weapons to fight back against them!

2. The site "logo" hasn't been pushed enough yet – where's the polish and detail? It says "Round 1" to me. What does the 5th round look like? The 10th? Now, I don't mean that the base design has to change – just that, if you keep refining it, how does it evolve? That may very well be the dominant element you're missing right now that makes my eye float around without ever settling on something. A logo, before anything, must be flexible. Does it have a vertical or stacked orientation (because honestly, a stacked version would fit in the corner much better in the current design)? How does it translate when it's very small and very large? The browser-line graphic demonstrates that it doesn't translate into small sizes well. And when large, as I mentioned before, I'd want more attention to detail and/or evidence that someone painstakingly crafted every little serif (ok, there aren't any serifs, but you know what I mean)

3. It's too plain. It doesn't come off as minimalistic, but rather unfinished and, almost oxymoronically, cluttered. A few masterfully-placed strokes/rules could make all the difference, but it's hard to tell without seeing how the design reacts. If we take a look at the Wii console – and it's clear the design draws heavy inspiration from Nintendo's newest arrival – it's not just a seemless slab of white resin – there are seams, feet, a disc slot, vents, a stand, etc. Given the amount of info you need to fit onto the front page as a news source, it needs a better "tray" to deliver it all.

Ok, a critique is comprised of pointing out what needs work and what's already working, so keep your head up! There ARE things which are working really well. Maybe these could serve as guideposts for bringing the rest of your elements up to the same level.

1. The "Lead Post" designation, with the vertical red rule. Dig it. I'm supposed to read this first. It beckons to me with hungry eyes.

2. Image Viewer is pretty slick. It's flashy and effective. On my machine, it's a little slower than just loading up a new HTML page, but I'd say it's worth the trade off.

3. Name. It transcends fansite-dom, which is fitting since this is the most professional independent Nintendo news site around. I also like the acronym. NWR. It doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well as PGC, but it'll become more and more second nature the longer it's around.

There's good groundwork laid here, guys. To me, though, this is only the beginning. A few revisions could improve it vastly. I just hope some of my comments can help it reach its full potential.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 02:20:01 PM »
Well there's this logo:

That logo is more dynamic, it can be used for a lot more than the full version.  Still though, it's nowhere near as awesome as the PGC logo.  But then again, compared to the genius GC and N64 logos, the Wii logo sucks too =p  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 02:28:02 PM »
I want everyone's honest opinion--which do you like better?

Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »
Chat doesn't seem to want to work for me.  Is it (temporarily) down or is there a problem on my end?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 02:47:34 PM »
Sorry for the triple post, but a couple more things.  

First, you did a pretty good job eradicating PGC from the forums but it still says "Please Read the Planet GameCube Forum Rules. Your use of the Planet GameCube Forums is contingent upon your agreeing to abide by the rules" on the top of the main forum page.

More importantly, have you guys considered adding a forum for VC games?  I know it kind of fits in with Wii, but not really because they're games for NES, Genesis, etc.  It doesn't really belong in the other systems thread either.  And if we put talk for the VC in either of those threads things are going to get pretty lost once we get a lot of VC games.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 02:58:19 PM »
Whoa, I can't see the ads. With them it looks EXACTLY like one of those "BUY THIS DOMAIN" search sites you get with the wrong address (j_moose expressed the exact reaction I had at first, I even thought I'd typed the address wrong until I looked closer).

I like the name, but this new design doesn't work. The meat of it works (image viewer, for example, is superb) but the skin doesn't. I agree with everything said here. It feels like a bad mix of a blog and a Google News search. The logo does nothing, and says nothing. I'm all for simpler text logos, but there's a point when your logo isn't a logo but just text. Look at something like the engadget logo, which is very similar but the little wireless broadcast waves give it a ton of personality. Maybe make the "t" in Report a Wii d-pad? I know the actual Wii logo is extremely simple, but it has the added advantage of the bow animation.

I also definitely second the notion of bars or something separating things. The left hand column feels particularly odd, something about the font and the spacing and the lack of any vertical separation just looks weird. Everytime I look I just think it's not an actual webpage. It's so sparse.

I don't want to be harsh, because the new content and things are great, as is the name. But I'm afraid the new design just doesn't work at all. The idea behind it is solid, but this design does not work. I know it'll develop overtime, but hopefully it'll be improved sooner rather than later. The thing is that if I was new to the site and had just stumbled on it looking for a Nintendo news site I woudn't stay longer than 30 seconds. Something about it just screams bad attempt at minimalism and the white with no focal point hurts the eyes. It just doesn't feel professional to me at all, but like a teenager's attempt at being professional. The old PGC site was a little homely, but it at least felt like it had content.

I think what I mean to say is that it feels like it was generated from a WordPress template or something.  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »

Copyright 2003 Planet GameCube. All your post are belong to us.
Please Read the Planet GameCube Forum Rules. Your use of the Planet GameCube Forums is contingent upon your agreeing to abide by the rules.
FuseTalk 4.0 - Copyright © 1999-2002 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 03:10:07 PM »
Wow, for about 20 seconds I could have sworn I stumbled on to an internet directory by typing in www.plntgmecube.com by accedent or something.

The name is one of those that you sorta forget after about a second or two.  
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 04:20:53 PM »
I like the new layout.  Especially the graphical cat/subcat (ie: News, Wii)

I like the logo, I like the simplicity

In short.

I like it!