Author Topic: Current WWII Shooters Are Unethical  (Read 32862 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
RE:Current WWII Shooters Are Unethical
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 02:44:01 AM »
I don't think WWII is "morally ambiguous" like most wars.  The Nazis are the easiest-to-demonize opponent anywhere.  They're all evil, unthinking killers, right?  Nobody, even Germans, care about the depiction of killing Nazis.  I think, in this sense, any WWII videogame gets a "realism pass" as long as you're killing Nazis.

Entertainment is exploitive and trivializing, period.  I don't see why video games are any better or worse, or should be held to any higher standard.   Popular rap music exploits drug trafficking in black communities and trivializes its effects.  Reality shows like "Flavor of Love" trivialize the effort that goes into finding the right person and making relationships work.  Shows that feature clips of riots and convience-store robberies trivialize the terror that the victims were feeling, and the crimes committed.  Shows like Dallas SWAT (was just watching this last night) trivialize the fact that the people getting arrested for dealing crack are going to jail for a long time, messing up their families and communities in the process.  Heck, even movies in which one of the characters is dying of cancer trivializes the horrible experience that cancer victims go through.  It's all the same.

Real-life isn't entertaining, which is why it's sanitized and regurgitated to the public in a form that they can experience (at a distance), and then walk away from.  Good entertainment tells, or maybe even teaches, you something in the process; bad entertainment throws the shocking stuff out there with very little context, purely working on shock value.  Jonny, I think your beef with these WWII shooters may be the fact that none of your actions are put in any sort of context beyond "It's you vs. the Nazis, and....GO!"
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 04:25:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
Wolfenstein might be unethical if Hitler had actually lived in a castle guarded by demons.

I can't make this clear enough: I am only talking about games based on historical events.

I disagree. Ethics are subjective, and what you see as unethical someone else may not. I don't think it is fair to target the video gaming medium either. We see tons of movies on historical events and books and so on. Why target only video games?

Indeed, why target anything at all? If it upsets you and if you find it unethical then simply don't purchase or play it. In the land of the free it is our right to play, though.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Current WWII Shooters Are Unethical
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 04:31:06 AM »
So what do you people feel about the Dynasty Warriors series I mentioned earlier? It features real historical battles and real historical figures. Is that game series unethical?  

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 04:34:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Silks
I don't think WWII is "morally ambiguous" like most wars.  The Nazis are the easiest-to-demonize opponent anywhere.  They're all evil, unthinking killers, right?  Nobody, even Germans, care about the depiction of killing Nazis.  I think, in this sense, any WWII videogame gets a "realism pass" as long as you're killing Nazis.

Well, you have to remember that every German was forced into the Nazi party during that time. Even the current Pope was a member (unwillingly)...
is your sanity...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007, 04:40:16 AM »
Yeah Jon, that's part of it.  WWII is an extremely complex and yes, morally ambiguous conflict, but it is boiled down into utter simplicity for us gamers, like we're idiots.  Many soldiers in the Nazi army were basically drafted and propagandized with no real choice in the matter, while American soldiers were drafted (not as unwillingly as in Vietnam, but no one is ever happy about the draft), and Japanese soldiers were taught that the Americans were evil and unthinking invaders.  Most of the current games are only aggravating the false perception that WWII was morally simple, good guys v. bad guys.  You can bet that modern Germans and Japanese people don't feel that way about the war, and these people are hardly Nazis or kamikaze pilots.

By the way, the scene in Conker's Bad Fur Day is a spoof of Saving Private Ryan, but I think it's also a commentary on how war games were presented back then.  In 2000, there was no M-rated war game, so it was quite novel for the M-rated Conker to take on the subject.  By using furry animals in helmets and flak jackets, Rare could get away with a more accurate depiction of war than any "realistic" game of the time.  And the truly sad part is that the same commentary still works today, as realistic war games are still not really realistic.  The Normandy scene in Conker is funny at first, because it's surprising, but Rare struck a serious tone in the boat and maintained it through the beach storm and beyond.  After a few initial laughs, this sequence becomes truly horrifying and disturbing.

As for Dynasty Warriors, I have thought the same thing about it.  There are some key differences.  Dynasty Warriors is largely focused on a cast of characters, many of whom are likely fictional.  And because the games are based on a book about a war thousands of years ago, even the historical events may be fictional.  It's similar to making a game about a battle in the Bible (which would be controversial for other reasons,too).  Did those events really happen, and did those named characters really exist?  It's very difficult to say without multiple historical sources.  So there is a factual ambiguity there that gives Dynasty Warriors a different twist on this argument.

I saw this free market argument on the GAF thread, too.  It's such a cop out.  The issue is not whether you should be allowed to buy something -- I'm not a censor.  The issue is whether it is moral to develop or play a game like this.  And yes, that is subjective under most definitions of morality, but subjectivity requires that you actually think about something.  I don't think this issue is something that most people think about, and if they did contemplate it, they might change their actions.  Maybe not, but it's still an interesting discussion.  Simply declaring that there's a free market is not going to shut down a philosophical discussion.  There's also a free market of ideas, and I'm going to talk about this idea and get others to talk about it, because that's what I want to do.  If you live in a world where there are no morals, no ethics, only capitalism, then obviously this thread isn't for you, and you're not going to be able to contribute anything to it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2007, 04:58:21 AM »
I have a couple of questions.

1. Isn't this thread teetering on the edge of being religious and political
2. Why the heck is it it in the Nintendo Console discussion forum?

With those questions out of the way. I have a brief comment (I have more thoughts on this but this thread could get quite brutal if I threw them out there, especially since I do NOT believe WWII was a morally ambiguous war). One thing I APPRECIATE about War games, such as ones based off WWII is that they can open to the door to further studying of the event, I know on many occasions if I played a game or watched a movie about a war that I was interested in learning more, which I believe is showing the utmost respect. On another point, where exactly do you draw the line on accuracy? While I do believe war is justified in some cases, there are still things that go on that are NOT justified, such as well, things like rape. Should that be included in the game as well?  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 05:00:11 AM »
So if we wait enough years, WWII games will become ethically and morally acceptable? this may be getting too far down the path of the nature of morality

Okay, one more question: What about strategy games? There are dozens of WWII strategy games on the PC. Heck, is the Axis & Allies board game immoral?  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 05:13:06 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
So if we wait enough years, WWII games will become ethically and morally acceptable? this may be getting too far down the path of the nature of morality

Okay, one more question: What about strategy games? There are dozens of WWII strategy games on the PC. Heck, is the Axis & Allies board game immoral?

You know that is EXACTLY what I was thinking, where do you draw the line between time passed and whether or not it is moral to take creative license with it. Take for example the Spartan War with the 300 Spartans that fought to the bitter end. Shouldn't their war with the Persians be given the same respect as WWII? Both were fought around sacrificing themselves to protect their homeland. Yeah there isn't a clear cut historical account, but hardly anyone doubts that the accounts of their sacrifice was legitimate and was also brutal.

Offline Case

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 05:20:28 AM »
Ohhh... Jonny. ^__^

What you are doing here, is opening up a scary prospect for us all.. Pandora's box is so pretty. ^__^

These games are what I refer to as "texts".
Audiovisual texts.

There are hundreds and hundreds of texts, audio visual and otherwise that represent or/and are based on WWII and other wars.
The only people, on this earth who have a right to discuss whether or not these texts are accurate or unethical (ie. Was Conker from Bad Fur Day indeed in that real life battle? Hehehe) are the real life veterans themselves.
It's hard to do isn't it? So, we have other texts that tell us what happened to refer to – diachronic texts.

Historical texts.

However.... these texts.... maybe written by, say..
An American....
Or maybe, a former member of the Soviet Union....

What gives these people the right to write these texts? The fact that they have done the research... however... which one would be more well received by say.. an American audience; the one written by the American, yes? The ideologies that the former member of the Soviet Union who still believes that Communism is the direction this world should take would be somewhat disconcerting to an American.. Or even an Australian, such as me.

Information is so important.
These texts are so important.

These games are made for a western dominated society.
We can kill Nazis. And laugh. But why, exactly why do we laugh?
We laugh, and have fun, because of our history.. out past.
Our western ideology may suggest, that it is indeed ethical to kill Nazis. That is what we did. And that is what they did back. How deep would you like to go.. did our bodies disappear? No... but, why would that matter...

As a (struggling) academic, it is my job to rip apart all these texts.
It is also my job to try and decide whether or not; video games are good, well-structured texts or/and narratives.
If I think of it on the surface.. you could pretty much assume that, no, video games probably don't have well structured narratives and representations of ideologies and culture...
...until you look at a game like Metal Gear Solid 3, which is extremely cinematic.

Dramatic movies should be viewed in a serious light.

When we watched Apocalypse Now in Culture and Texts, it was pretty damn scary.
The same scenario portrayed in Conkers Bad Fur Day? It's humorous... we need to ask ourselves, why?

After ALL this crap I've spun, what I'm trying to say is - yes, I may pretty much agree that 1st person shooters are politically incorrect and unethical. But unfortunately, perhaps our past and ideologies have forged an unethical society.
^_^

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 05:22:48 AM »
You can't judge a war's moral ambiguity based on the actions and thoughts of individual soldiers. Individuals don't fight wars, nations fight wars. When you look at the nations involved and what they stood for, World War II really was Good versus Evil, and that's why so many games are based on it. Nobody gets mad when you portray Nazis as evil.

I don't see this as a legitimate place to draw the line for what is acceptable in terms of games. Why is killing someone in World War II any worse than killing someone in a fictional situation? And GP has a point, historical situations in games (or movies or any form of entertainment) can lead to someone taking an interest in studying the topic.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 06:12:38 AM »
What is important here is even though the settings are real enough, the events that we play through are fictional. The other members of your 'team' aren't real people, and not meant to be stand-ins for real people. And you can tell because things can play out differently based on your approach. Ultimately, WWII games are just as unethical as any other shooter on the market today. Someday, everyone who has fought in WWII will no longer be amoung us. And someday we will have a ton of games that describe invading Iraq (yes, there are a few now).

What these games offer is a way to study certain situations and an opportunity to discover which tactics work under the existing circumstances. If you want to close your mind to everything except the personal feelings of those who were there first hand then we'll never come closer to understanding anything as a nation. I know people who do not like the Burnout series because its a horrific reminder of actual car crashes they've witnessed. But my daughter now knows how bad a crash can be without being part of it (that's not a perfect example, I have to add a bit more to it for her but you get the drift).

For most games, fun is derived from overcoming the challenge to accomplish the goals set before you. WWII games seem to offer an excellent set of resources to provide both goals and opposition. And while we're at it, why not learn a few geography and history lessons on the way?

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 06:52:26 AM »
Anyone here ever play Myth: The Fallen Lords?

It was a RTS game by Bungie Software which was one of the few games which I felt TRULY made war feel real, even though it was a fantasy setting. Between each level, there were story screens which had a narrator reading his journal about the war and it was generally heavily laden with sadness.

My point is that Myth was an excellent game while at the same time lending the appropriate gravity to the situation, something which I agree that these war games just don't do. I'd have more respect for the WWII genre if the games gave more of a nod to the truth of the situation than glazing over it.

Also, if anyone is interested in the subject of soldiers being drafted against their will, they should read "Citizen Soldier" which discusses cases where German and American patrols would just pass each other in the night and nod hello and a situation where an American translator actually sat down in a German camp and, after some time talking with the guys there, made it known that he was a translator and they didn't care.

The point is, killing in these wars generally only happened under the eyes of a senior officer.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 06:52:35 AM »
I wouldn't consider this unethical.  Disrespectful maybe but not unethical.

The whole thing seems kind of like going to all the trouble to make a historically accurate war movie and then turning the conflict into a PG-13 action movie.  The best war movies portray war as so horrifying that after you see it you don't want to be involved in a war.  In videogames the entertainment is in being in the war.  They design it so that you want to be in the war.  That is kind of messed up.  I don't think there are any moral issues with it but it's probably not a good idea to give young people that attitude about war and to bother being historically accurate when the execution is such that something fictional like Wolfenstein 3D would do the trick.

It would be neat to see a war videogame based on historical events where the game doesn't try to entertain you by providing action and thrills but rather through fear.  When I see a good war movie I'm scared for the characters I've been introduced to.  I don't want those people to die and I know some of them will.  Then it isn't about killing the other team.  It's about surviving.  Make a war game where the goal is to live through the war.  We know who won what battles in historical wars anyway.  Make a game where the battle will end as it did no matter what and you the player just have to survive and keep your friends alive.  That would be more like real war and would probably be entertaining as well, but in a way like a good war movie is.  No lives.  Every battle in World War II is simulated and you're just a soldier.  You pick at what point in the war you join and which allied country you serve and then you just see how long you survive.  Die from the first bullet and it's game over and you can start again as a different recruit and pick what time period you sign up.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2007, 07:08:52 AM »
A lot of great points have been made in this thread. I actually really liked the Fire Emblem example too, as the fact that you lose those guys... well, forever, really makes the conflicts that much more intense while I also felt guilty if anyone under my command didn't make it, and always soft-rested at that point.

On the flip side, though, as much as I love Advance Wars... the very last secret level of the GBA game just... never sat well with me. It's the "gentlemen's rivalry match" between Andy and Eagle which I just found appalling in that context considering that, even though it's cartoony in depiction, the troops are dying on the battle field for the two COs.

As for WW2, as some stated, it's probably the most classic example of "good vs. evil" that makes it a popular subject matter, but as Smash_Brother stated it does dumb down all of the elements at play in that war, or really any war.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
It would be neat to see a war videogame based on historical events where the game doesn't try to entertain you by providing action and thrills but rather through fear.  When I see a good war movie I'm scared for the characters I've been introduced to.  I don't want those people to die and I know some of them will.  Then it isn't about killing the other team.  It's about surviving.  Make a war game where the goal is to live through the war.  We know who won what battles in historical wars anyway.  Make a game where the battle will end as it did no matter what and you the player just have to survive and keep your friends alive.  That would be more like real war and would probably be entertaining as well, but in a way like a good war movie is.  No lives.

Now this has to be one of the greatest ideas I have heard in awhile. Kudos for coming up with it.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 07:13:28 AM »
I believe the point Ian has made is right on and was made in this week's podcast as well.

"War games should be survival horror because that's what war is, Survival Horror."

Check out PixlBit!

Offline Chiller

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 07:17:17 AM »

Ditto.

Of course, morals and ethics are purely subjective, as they are merely constructs of the human psyche.  As such, I don't acknowledge them, other than for the sake of functioning in a society of others who do.  We, of course, may feel however we want about these games.  That doesn't mean they have an obligation to not offend people, or not produce them.

Incidentally, I know current, and former servicemen who play these types of games, and do not find them degrading, or feel that they trivialize what they are doing, or have done, in actual combat.

"Mweeeep"
Charles Seeburg

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »
Personally, I feel that if anything war games have potential to get people to remember, even if it may not be 100% accurate. They keep people interested so it is never really forgotten. In the past many wars were remembered through poems or stories, and while there was alot of fiction and legend that seeped in to make things "Interesting" the memories of people's sacrifice and what they fought for still remains even if it is glamorized.

Let's for arguments sake take this topic a bit further, what about Pirate movies and games? ARe they being disrespectful to the thousands of people who were raped, murdered, and pillaged by pirates? Pirates have been glamorized like crazy when in reality they were some of the most brutal and violent people around. Let me state that I like the glamorized pirates but at the same time I think the glamorization has kept the truth alive, at least for me, because it gave me interest in researching more about them.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2007, 07:58:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Chiller

Ditto.

Of course, morals and ethics are purely subjective, as they are merely constructs of the human psyche.  As such, I don't acknowledge them, other than for the sake of functioning in a society of others who do.  We, of course, may feel however we want about these games.  That doesn't mean they have an obligation to not offend people, or not produce them.

Incidentally, I know current, and former servicemen who play these types of games, and do not find them degrading, or feel that they trivialize what they are doing, or have done, in actual combat.

Yeah "Of Course" ethics are purely subjective. ::rolls eyes::. See what I mean about this thread becoming a religious and political thread.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2007, 08:01:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
I believe the point Ian has made is right on and was made in this week's podcast as well.

"War games should be survival horror because that's what war is, Survival Horror."

Not if you happen to be the General.

It can be a bit frustrating at times, but you never die in something like Advance Wars; you just send others to die. And as someone else pointed out, it is a bit cartoony and I remember how the dialogue would mention root beer at one point, even though I'm sure that's not the beverage that particular person really prefered... so that was censored, but troops and tanks (with their crews) being blown to smithereens on the battlefield is okay? That is one of the things I find strange about advance wars.

I see my Advance Wars DS game box has an "E" rating on it... now that's really strange. I mean, I strongly oppose censorship of any kind, but why not at least a T rating in this particular instance? No war game should be "E" for "Everyone".
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 08:05:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

Not if you happen to be the General.

It can be a bit frustrating at times, but you never die in something like Advance Wars; you just send others to die. And as someone else pointed out, it is a bit cartoony and I remember how the dialogue would mention root beer at one point, even though I'm sure that's not the beverage that particular person really prefered... so that was censored, but troops and tanks (with their crews) being blown to smithereens on the battlefield is okay? That is one of the things I find strange about advance wars.

I see my Advance Wars DS game box has an "E" rating on it... now that's really strange. I mean, I strongly oppose censorship of any kind, but why not at least a T rating in this particular instance? No war game should be "E" for "Everyone".

In advance wars you just get knocked out . I really disagree with no game getting an E though, because I think every child should get some exposure to "war" even if it is in a fictional universe, then later on that can be built on to learn more about it.  You can technically stretch this to any other game that portrays "violence" of any kind saying that it dumbs down the "killing" of things. Heck Mario squashing a goomba makes it fun to kill things!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2007, 08:08:18 AM »
I think the point Johnny is trying to make is that current war shooters are war "lite" and use the games more for a setting which approximates good vs. evil in the eyes of most.

I've yet to see a WWII shooter that has done justice to the subject matter, really. Devs who make these seem to think they can throw in a shell-shock effect and a war-related quote when your character dies and it's all good, and never mind about the fact that you take gunfire and can then duck behind a wall for a few seconds and you're suddenly fine again.

I think the point remains valid: no developer has yet gone for full-blown authenticity in a WWII game, but it's high time one of them actually tried.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 08:09:21 AM »
this is an interesting idea. i've been thinking on this all morning, here are my thoughts, naturally they are subject to change.

first off, it is most important that any battles based on real battles be accurate. meaning that if Britain loses the battle, no heroism from the player can change that. i think the historical aspects should be kept true. (arguably that WW2 online changes this, but its intent is not a recreation, but rather an open ended 'what if'?)

the hard part about upping the 'realism' is making a player care about the other NPC's. wingmen, marines, that guy you saved in a different cell block, whatever, they are still just a part of the game. (and even worse if there is a resurrect spell). if he dies, so what?

as for 'sadness' from a game, i think it is hard. fire emblem is a great example, permanent character death... but if they die i hit power and reset the level. for other games, like FF7, the death is part of the story, so i couldn't change it anyway. these two things make it harder, i believe.

now fear? that i've felt during a game (thank you resident evil and the suffering) being emersed in the game leads to better horror i think. excited? sure, determined? yes.

it is an intriguing side question tho. as a writer and a gamer i am now curious how you could craft a game that would be as good as a book. what aspects of the 'game' take away from the 'story'? is it your involvement? is it the lack of control? is it simply the fact that there is a power button...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 08:15:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I think the point Johnny is trying to make is that current war shooters are war "lite" and use the games more for a setting which approximates good vs. evil in the eyes of most.

I've yet to see a WWII shooter that has done justice to the subject matter, really. Devs who make these seem to think they can throw in a shell-shock effect and a war-related quote when your character dies and it's all good, and never mind about the fact that you take gunfire and can then duck behind a wall for a few seconds and you're suddenly fine again.

I think the point remains valid: no developer has yet gone for full-blown authenticity in a WWII game, but it's high time one of them actually tried.

Well accesibility is important to any game, so I don't have much of a problem with the healing. Really though it is quite hard to make a game that simulates war, because really if you get hit with a bullet, chances are you will die or be seriously hurt and cannot continue, that is pretty hard to integrate into a game without dumbing down other elements to make it easier "avoid" stuff. With that said I would definately like to see a more realistic experience if it can be pulled off, especially since immersion is becoming more important in gaming.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2007, 08:23:57 AM »
I was talking with Cap and he actually gave me a plethora of ideas on what could be done to aid this genre.

For starters, why haven't we seen a WWII shooter which involves you liberating a concentration camp and brining medical aid to the emaciated prisoners?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I was talking with Cap and he actually gave me a plethora of ideas on what could be done to aid this genre.

For starters, why haven't we seen a WWII shooter which involves you liberating a concentration camp and brining medical aid to the emaciated prisoners?

Hmmm, sounds interesting. You know even though I don't think the WWII games "unethical" it has gotten super stale and overused, but something like you suggested along with more integration of emotion, especially of the disturbing nature that makes you think, could liven up the genre again. One interesting take would be playing as a Nazi soldier but one who is against the atrocities that are occuring, perhaps even one who was stationed at a concentration camp. You could create a game around this Nazi soldier trying to change things from the inside, perhaps even secretly helping those in a concentration camp.