Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 67  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 67
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »
Lasse Pallesen joins us for this episode.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14320

Episode 67: Of Conventions and Cacophonies    

We are very proficient at being late, it seems.    

AAC Format (Enhanced)    

MP3 Format    

Subscribe via iTunes    

Digg Radio Free Nintendo    

powered by ODEO    

Apologies all around for being a little late today, but trust me, I've got some good reasons. We suffered our fair share of technical problems with this episode, as not only did Jonny's new headset produce some very... strange audio, but our editing software, GarageBand, gave us a heapload of trouble during compression. Needless to say, it's a bit of a miracle the episode's done at all.    

It's definitely not a show you want to miss, though, as European Correspondent Lasse Pallesen stopped by to tell us all about his experience at the Leipzig Games Convention. Impressions of Super Mario Galaxy, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, and Wii Fit can be found, in addition to thoughts on Nintendo's overall presentation.    

If that isn't enough for you, we've got a brand new Mike's Crazy Mailbag, a truckload of news, and some spirited discussion on Brain Age 2.    

Remember to subscribe to/review us in iTunes, and don't be afraid of clicking on the "Digg" link up top. We appreciate all of your votes!    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Karl Castaneda.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can also purchase their album directly from the iTunes Music Store

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 67
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »
Thumbs up at Jonathan Metz for exposing how we're all racist!

Back to Metroid now, will finish listening later.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Case

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 07:52:40 PM »
Hehehe..
"Who DOESN'T look up Peaches dress!? O_o"
"Wanna look up Dixie Kongs skirt? :P"
"None of the Kongs wear any pants!"
"I think Trixy Kong does... and Candy Kong had a two peice bathing suit! ^_^"
"..."
"..."
"So... any chance of naked Samus? o_o"

Ohhh yes. One of these days I wanna hop on this podcast and talk about video game character underwares and nekedness.
It'll be a special feature story! ^__^ We'll start with Peach in the shower and that creepy PC...
^_^

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 67
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:00:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Thumbs up at Jonathan Metz for exposing how we're all racist!

BOOYAH!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:11:07 PM »
All I have to say is that the gameboy micro is awesome!  Not sure about the Mario difficulty thing, because Sunshine wasn't considered an easy Mario game by any means, heck it is perhaps the hardest Mario game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Case

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:57:32 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
All I have to say is that the gameboy micro is awesome!  Not sure about the Mario difficulty thing, because Sunshine wasn't considered an easy Mario game by any means, heck it is perhaps the hardest Mario game.

I have to agree. However, I would never buy one unless it was $70 AU or under. One time there was a sale for minis for $50 bucks AU!! O_O
I was soo pissed I didn't have any money at the time T_T Gameboy Micro imo are pretty cool. Problem is, I don't play many GBA games anymore, except my Japanese vers. of Fire Pro Wrestling or the Fire Emblem series... ^__^

Sunshine seemed pretty difficult. But I only played it for a bit. My housemate Matthew loved it.
^_^

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:59:22 PM »
I will SOOO look up skirts in Brawl. They all have different underhose.

*listens to SF2 Chun-Li talk*

*GASP* ..she...she...kicks high? /faints

What do you mean nobody gets hurt when you do it? Objectifying women is a scourge of chauvinistic paternalistic testosterone driven culture!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 10:52:31 PM »
Question, what's with the 6 minutes of SILENCE at the end of the mp3 file?

Oh, and sorry to hear those impressions on Mario & Sonic. The thing about Wii Sports is that it's actually deep, very deep. Sonic & Mario sounds like... a rebranded Rayman Raving Rabbids...

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »
I'm really interested in what you guys thought of hearing Lasse on the show. We're trying to mix things up with new voices, and you'll be hearing another RFN virgin next week, as well. (Hint: He's one of the new hires) Are there any people on the staff you really want to hear more from, or start hearing from?
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »
Maybe if you guys got Lasse at a time when he wasn't about to keel over from lack of sleep? &P

I'm all for new people on the show! Just entertain me! RARGH!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 12:30:22 PM »

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
I'm really interested in what you guys thought of hearing Lasse on the show. We're trying to mix things up with new voices, and you'll be hearing another RFN virgin next week, as well. (Hint: He's one of the new hires) Are there any people on the staff you really want to hear more from, or start hearing from?

Well . . . (and Lasse if you read this don't take this the wrong way) I felt his whole "vibe", if you will, was a counter to that of the other RFN-ers. But this may have been because it was his first time and/or because he was tired. As a whole he was far more monotone than the others and and came off as being very deadpan to me.

I'm being perfectly honest here when I say I kinda zoned out when he started talking for long periods of time about the GDC. Where as the other segments, I didn't have a problem staying focused on what was being discussed as it had a pretty nice flow to it (while also being pretty upbeat as RFN usually is).

I'm really trying my best not to sound like an ass but I'm trying to give honest feedback about it so please don't hate me.

I do think hearing from others is good though, especially other correspondents from various places in the world and I would like to hear Lasse again giving it another go and maybe being more awake to see how it goes.

It should be worth noting I did listen to the show twice and it was the first time I listened to the podcast while at work as opposed to home so there were many entertaining parts to it but yeah Lasse maybe just needs a little more practice to really fit in as a RFN commentator.

PS - Can you guys PLEASE do an audio level check between the musical segments (intro song and break music)? I always thought "maybe it's just my computer" but no, on my iPod as well there is a MASSIVE difference in volume between the spoken dialogue and the music with the music usually being far louder than you're voices.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 12:34:50 PM »
Yeah I agree, Lasse while he seems like a nice guy sounded bored and monotone most of the time. Though I did think it was funny when asked about how good a game is he said in the most bored sounding voice "It was great" . Maybe I'll come on sometime!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 12:54:41 PM »
Oh I almost forgot, the comment about the racism made me laugh out loud at work and more than a few people thought I was crazy haha.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »
I honestly don't know why I continue to try to tell Jonny that the Micro no longer costs $100, but here goes anyway.

The Micro no longer costs $100.  In fact, it's actually cheaper than a regular SP ($69.99 vs. $79.99).  Stop making fun of it.  

Good podcast overall.  However, I'm not exactly thrilled about how the length keeps creeping back up to the old ones.  In all honestly, 1 hour is just too long to listen to you guys.  You need to scale it back to the 45 minute mark.  (Although, I hope you spend a lot of time on Mike's Crazy Mailbag in the next podcast, hint hint.)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 07:17:17 AM »
It's really hard to keep down the length when you have four people commenting on everything.  As you'll hopefully see with the next episode, it's also hard to keep down the length when you have two talkative guys going back and forth with no one to moderate them.  But it's different every show because it just comes down to the topics at hand and the chemistry of the people who showed up that week.

I think there is a sense among our long time listeners that the show started at the right length and eventually bloated.  But you have to realize that we originally had only two people (Obi and Evan), and they had no structure at all.  When you formalize the segments of the show and have things like VC Mondays and Mike's Crazy Mailbag that you have to do every week, those things inevitably make the show longer.  So we just have to be careful in balancing the regular features with the more flexible commentary sections.

When we start recording, we never have any idea how long the show will end up being.  But during the breaks, we always look at the length of what we just recorded and whether we need to speed things up for the remainder, or even edit out a particularly long/boring rant.  So the length is something that we are thinking about and trying to keep reasonable.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 07:29:48 AM »
More reason to investigate the feasibility of one or two man one-topic micro-segments for possible use later on in NWR's general news reporting capacity! (as in, not in any way intended to replace large debate setpieces like this one)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 02:02:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Question, what's with the 6 minutes of SILENCE at the end of the mp3 file?

Yeah!  I totally kept listening hoping for a bonus track!

Also, I thought it was cool to hear Lasse's voice!  He really is from Europe!  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram